UKC

Advice for climbing in Les Alpilles/Bouches du Rhone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tri5 21 Aug 2016
We’re staying near Tarascon-sur-Rhone and, while it’s not strictly a climbing holiday, I’d like to visit a few crags. We’ll have a car so I can travel about a bit. A quick look on UKC database shows there are a few north facing crags. However, I think currently there is a high fire risk in the area consequently access to the national park may be restricted. Crags that are reasonable close by include Fontvielle, Mouries Sud, Le Paradou and Mont Gaussier. Does anyone know if climbing is possible at the moment? Also, is it reasonably easy to get a copy of the local guide once we arrive?
Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Tris
 Neil R 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Tri5:

Many years since I have climbed there but we used to climb and Fontvielle and Orgon (Canal) when other crags were closed due to fire risk, although I thought that there were access restrictions at Fontvielle, not necessarily due to fire risk. There are probably closer places to get the guide but there is a climbing shop in Cavaillon, where there is also a crag in the middle of the town.
OP Tri5 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Neil R:

Thanks for that Neil. Orgon is about 40 mins in the car so not too bad. Did you ever climb in August?
 Neil R 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Tri5:

No, climbed in June and September. Caviallon was very polished, as would be expected of a town centre crag. One alternative may be Mouries as it is a fin of rock, one side facing north. I don't think there was restrictions due to fire hazard but it did have a reputation for having your car broken into!
OP Tri5 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Neil R:

cheers neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...