UKC

Cham huts when lifts closed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 23 Aug 2016
I'm heading to Chamonix in late Sept, and of course all the lifts apart from the Midi are closed. I've only been in spring and winter for climbing trips before, when all the lifts have been open.

The only running lift will be the Midi, so we've got access to the Midi Plan and the top station. Does anyone know if the Torino hut (and any other huts) usually stay open when the lifts shut, or do they shut as well? Does anyone know off the top of their head when the Abri Simond is open? I'd imagine a lot later in the year, but worth an ask!

The Montenvers train is also shut, so does that mean the Couvercle/Charpoua huts etc will be shut as well?

Thanks.
 alasdair19 23 Aug 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

the la tour lift is open to the 25th I expect the hut will be open at least at weekends if not all.huts have winter rooms.
 alasdair19 23 Aug 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

the sky way monte bianco is also open so access to the torino should be fine too
 tjoliver 23 Aug 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

I believe the Torino is open 365 days a year nowdays. If I recall correctly, the Abri Simond only opens once the Cosmiques closes, which I think is usually around the beginning of October.

No idea about the Couvercle/Charpoua. Imagine Charpoua will be close by then. Couvercle might stay open if it's a good Jorasses season, but is currently scheduled to close mid-September I think.
OP NottsRich 24 Aug 2016

Thanks all, that's opened up a few options.

Is the Sky Way only from the Italian side, or does it link up to the Midi now? We'll be without transport, so to be able to get to the Torino hut from the Chamonix side would be great.
 tjoliver 24 Aug 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

Currently links up via the Panoramique. That closes on the 25th September though. Then you're either forced to walk over from the Midi side or drive through to Italy and get the lift up over there
 timjones 24 Aug 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

> I'm heading to Chamonix in late Sept, and of course all the lifts apart from the Midi are closed. I've only been in spring and winter for climbing trips before, when all the lifts have been open.

> The only running lift will be the Midi, so we've got access to the Midi Plan and the top station. Does anyone know if the Torino hut (and any other huts) usually stay open when the lifts shut, or do they shut as well? Does anyone know off the top of their head when the Abri Simond is open? I'd imagine a lot later in the year, but worth an ask!

> The Montenvers train is also shut, so does that mean the Couvercle/Charpoua huts etc will be shut as well?

I'd say that the main Couvercle hut is likely to be closed but the original hut will still be open as a winter room. It is well worth the effort of getting up there with the necessary food to cater for yourselves IMO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...