UKC

Has the Italian earthquake made the Dolomites fall down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 24 Aug 2016
Have the shocks been felt in the dollies? I've a couple of non-internet using chums going there next week for VF.
 gethin_allen 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

I think that's the last of anyone's concerns at this point less than 24 hrs after 70+ people have died.
 jimtitt 24 Aug 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

And anyone thinking of going to the Dolomites without the mindset that they are continously falling down shouldn´ t go there anyway.
 Peter Leeming 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Talk of crass insensitivity.... `120 dead and counting.... FFS
 climberchristy 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Either you're trolling?

Or you have no sense of what's in decent taste?

Either way... not impressive!
 John Ww 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

I suspect you may wish to reconsider your query, as it may have come across as a little insensitive...
JW
 Jamie B 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Do you have any conception of Italian geography? http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006g7d#shakemap
 TMM 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Let me help you.

'Shit, I am really sorry if anyone has been offended by my thread. This is a classic of example of just being wrapped up in my own little bubble and not seeing the bigger picture. On reflection I now see that making an ill informed request regarding my friend's holiday was at best ill considered and at worst could be viewed as crass and grossly insensitive.
I am looking for ways to make a donation to the relief effort or, failing that, will be sticking a tenner in the next MRT tin I see to re-balance my Karma.
Obviously my thoughts are with families and friends of the more than 250 people who have lost their lives and the thousands more who's lives have been massively disrupted.
I hope my apology brings to an end any further opprobrium directed my way and I promise to think before I type in future.
Lots of love Toerag'
OP Toerag 25 Aug 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:
> I think that's the last of anyone's concerns at this point less than 24 hrs after 70+ people have died.

The news reports when I looked were giving much fewer death reports. I have no idea how far away shocks would have been felt of a quake of that magnitude so it was a genuine question aimed at the regular posters who live in the area.

JamieB has answered my question with his helpful map, thanks Jamie.
Obviously my thoughts are with those affected, but earthquakes and death happen all the time. Maybe I should start a condolence thread everytime there's a natural disaster, would that make you all happy?

jon 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

I think most folk thought the title and content was a bit flippant in the circumstances. No need for a condolence thread.
 Alex Riley 25 Aug 2016
In reply to jon:

We didn't notice anything, that said we were knackered after climbing marmalada south face.
OP Toerag 25 Aug 2016
In reply to jon:

Actually Big Ger has done a 'thoughts' thread..and no-one's liked or disliked it so it's obviously not that important.
 TMM 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

> Actually Big Ger has done a 'thoughts' thread..and no-one's liked or disliked it so it's obviously not that important.

So as well as ghost writing your apology let me offer you some advice. When you find yourself in a hole of your own creation stop digging.

Your responses appear flippant, glib and essentially devoid of contrition.
 john arran 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

If I were you I'd consider putting the spade away.
jackauty 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

I have a serious question.

I have friends currently climbing the dolomites and I cannot reach them. The dolomites are notoriously unstable and had big landslides just 5 days ago. The earthquake was felt as far a away as Switzerland and aftershocks have been felt in northern Italy.

Does anyone have any information about recent land slides? Also, does anyone know what the cellphone reception is like up there? My guess is they are just out of reception, but you can't help but worry.

My thoughts are with all the people effected by this disaster and I have donated to the help with the earth quake. If you can afford to please donate as well. https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/italy-earthquake-relief-fund/?rf=twtr

If you have any information about the dolomites right now please post.

Warm regards,
Jack
 Alex Riley 25 Aug 2016
In reply to jackauty:

I've sent you a message jack. Like I said, in area around Canazei we havent noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Alex
In reply to Toerag:

> Obviously my thoughts are with those affected, but earthquakes and death happen all the time. Maybe I should start a condolence thread everytime there's a natural disaster, would that make you all happy?

You should really have stopped before posting that last sentence. Sadly it just confirms that people's first impression of you was correct.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...