UKC

waist or full body harness for 8 year old?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab9 25 Aug 2016
afternoon all,

taking the other half's eldest to a climbing wall for the first time tomorrow hopefully.

I'm sure the wall staff will advise, but to give me some info in advance, for an 8 year old is general advice to use a full body harness or a normal waist one? I'm not sure what the cut off is.

Also if anyone knows, I take it there should be no problem hiring harness and shoes for her at Awesome Walls Stockport? (or possibly MCC if there's any strong recommendation to go there instead for any reason related to kids gear)

thanks!
 Howardw1968 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
If your hiring a harness it will probably be an centre Alpine which fits everyone however big or small and is a sit (waist) style harness. Remember to double back the straps.
Post edited at 13:25
 marsbar 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Its more about the shape of the child than the age. If s/he has a defined waist and hips so that if they were upside down in a waist harness it would stay put then thats fine. If s/he is straight up and down and a waist harness would not stay put if the child inverts then a full body harness is needed.
OP Scarab9 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Howardw1968:

cool.
and yes, paranoia and triple checking will be very evident :-p
 marsbar 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Howardw1968:
These are not suitable for very small children who shttp://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=64582
ould have a body harness.

You can use a sling and a waist harness details here

Sorry on mobile link in stupid place
Post edited at 13:32
OP Scarab9 25 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

cheers for that! I have options depending on what the centre use then.
 marsbar 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Im sure its a very small risk. but why take it if you dont need to.
OP Scarab9 25 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

agreed. If they do offer a full harness I'm good with that, just wondered if they'd have them or be awkward at all if we don't bring one.
 GrahamD 25 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> Its more about the shape of the child than the age. If s/he has a defined waist and hips so that if they were upside down in a waist harness it would stay put then thats fine. If s/he is straight up and down and a waist harness would not stay put if the child inverts then a full body harness is needed.

Its also about head size. As children grow, their heads (very dense parts of the body) become proportionately less significant which lowers their centre of gravity which reduces the probability of an inverted fall.
 andrewmc 25 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Very overweight adults may also need a full-body harness or sit harness + chest harness combination.
 springfall2008 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
Normally a half body at that age, as long as they have hips. My daughters have both had half body from the age of 6.

Just check it's impossible to remove once done up tight.

http://bouldersuk.com/2013/09/buying-a-kids-climbing-harness/
Post edited at 20:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...