UKC

Dislikes/Likes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 27 Aug 2016
"Useless tools that kill debate"

Discuss please without resorting to the use of either.
 JuanTinco 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

No. Have a dislike.

Juan
 deepsoup 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Again!? Yawn.

You're not going to get anywhere near the Lemming's record you know. My guess is 100 tops.
 nastyned 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I quite like them myself, an easy way to register your opinion. Though the regular whining when people's precious posts get a dislike is tedious.
 Run_Ross_Run 27 Aug 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Again!? Yawn.

> You're not going to get anywhere near the Lemming's record you know.

I thought Trangia and the Lemming were the same person?

Offwidth 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Its not so much they kill debate directly its more that they are often childish and/or stupid and/or lazy and/or pointless (what does a dislike mean with respect to a complex post). The negativity of dislikes can also lead to cyber bullying and we have certainly seen that here in mild respects. Lemming certainly picked up a few moronic dislike stalkers.

They clearly are felt to benefit UKC, given they are still here despite complaints, I guess as traffic is eveything in advertising: those using the features are loud and clear that they really do like them, so we retain lowest common denominator entertainment for the children.

Facebook looked at this in detail and dumped the idea and I hope UKC will one day be brave enough as well. Children's traffic can keeps away adults, so their could be benefits.

Karma on UKB works much better as its named and requires reasons and tit-for-tat is banned. It's crystal clear who added karma or smote and for what reasons, and that keeps users much better behaved. They also run polls with multiple options rather than using the simplicity of like/dislike polls.
abseil 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I love getting dislikes. They make me feel alive and wanted for once and part of this world for once.
 Oceanrower 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

WTF is a 'smote'?
 Run_Ross_Run 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

> WTF is a 'smote'?

Its not the same as a 'gunt' (nsfw).

Offwidth 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

Past tense and a past participle of smite, a synonm of strike firmly... ie hit with negative karma.
 Timmd 27 Aug 2016
In reply to nastyned:
> I quite like them myself, an easy way to register your opinion. Though the regular whining when people's precious posts get a dislike is tedious.

But, they don't register opinion, they just register a positive or negative response to a post without putting it into words.

This post will probably get some dislikes, but it won't be clear whether is because of the way I've put it, or because people don't agree, or because it's me - so it's not registering an opinion to click dislike, I think it's only registering an opinion to articulate it in writing, as far as not agreeing goes.
Post edited at 16:13
 bouldery bits 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> "Useless tools that kill debate"

> Discuss please without resorting to the use of either.

Well, you're a useless tool that kills debate! Ha! Turned that back at you! Eh? Eh?

Ha.

Got ya.

Ha. Bants.

Baron Weasel 27 Aug 2016
In reply to abseil:

> I love getting dislikes. They make me feel alive and wanted for once and part of this world for once.

Agreed, folk who get upset by dislikes should not be on the web and especially ukc, instead they'd be better off applying vitamin e cream to enrich and thicken their skin. Once you've got over that what's not to like about a few dislikes, shows your opinion is challenging someone else's?!?
 The Lemming 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:
I got shot down in flames for bringing this up.

The like/dislike is the most devisive thing on this site and will never be removed.

We've been moaning for years about photo voting and that has not been resolved so there is no chance of removing this feature.
Post edited at 11:56
 Baron Weasel 28 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> I got shot down in flames for bringing this up.

That's because it's the rules: Start a thread about how mean all the dislikers are and then everyone is then obliged to dislike your post...

AP Melbourne 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> That's because it's the rules: Start a thread about how mean all the dislikers are and then everyone is then obliged to dislike your post...

Well I clicked on Like for your answer Baron but was too late to change my mind for the apostrophe in 'it's' and the unneccessary double-up of 'then'.
Then (again), I'm an aufer and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, falls over.
G'night. x
 Baron Weasel 28 Aug 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

You can still change your mind, just click dislike and it'll switch over
 timjones 28 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> The like/dislike is the most devisive thing on this site and will never be removed.

Attitudes are divisive, the means by which they are expressed are not.

> We've been moaning for years about photo voting and that has not been resolved so there is no chance of removing this feature.

Who are the "we" that have been moaning about photo voting?
 deepsoup 29 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

And loved every minute of it, you attention seeking little rodent you.
 The Lemming 29 Aug 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> And loved every minute of it, you attention seeking little rodent you.

Sorry to say, but I did not.

0Unknown0 29 Aug 2016

They are much more useful tools when you can see who is giving them, then it is a tool to show agreement without having to waste time in writing a post about your agreement or not. Also keeps threads length down.
Post edited at 07:40
 andy 29 Aug 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

> Well I clicked on Like for your answer Baron but was too late to change my mind for the apostrophe in 'it's' and the unneccessary double-up of 'then'.

> Then (again), I'm an aufer and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, falls over.

> G'night. x

Pedantry on pedantry alert: the apostrophe in "it's" is correct - it's "...it is the rules...".

With you on the thens, mind.
 AP Melbourne 29 Aug 2016
In reply to andy:

> Pedantry on pedantry alert: the apostrophe in "it's" is correct - it's "...it is the rules...".

> With you on the thens, mind.

Andy: That (apostrofee s) is why Adny Brooman's guidance was so invaluable to makking me little book such a resounding - nay, Prize-Losing success.
I blame him - and to reiterate; Am Not a bitter man ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Much prefer lager.
Pint please.
Cheers,
Andy, hic.
 Pyreneenemec 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

They can be very useful. A good example being the 'Have The French Gone Mad ' thread. DominicanDave was waffling on, saying in paragraphs something that could be better said in a couple of sentences. Certainly not worth replying too at lengthso I gave him a 'dislike'.
 Pyreneenemec 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Dominicandave:

> They are much more useful tools when you can see who is giving them, then it is a tool to show agreement without having to waste time in writing a post about your agreement or not. Also keeps threads length down.

Hmmmm.............practice what you preach
0Unknown0 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Meaning?
In reply to Trangia:

I would have given you a dislike for a racist post some time ago but the forum didn't have that facility then. I imagine the mods took your post down.
OP Trangia 30 Aug 2016
In reply to I like climbing:

That's not good, racist posts are bad. I don't believe I've ever made one intentionally, and I don't remember the post. it must have been several years ago if it was before the facility was introduced. I would rather that you took issue with me rather than use a dislike. I hope you did at the time?
In reply to Trangia:

> That's not good, racist posts are bad. I don't believe I've ever made one intentionally, and I don't remember the post. it must have been several years ago if it was before the facility was introduced. I would rather that you took issue with me rather than use a dislike. I hope you did at the time?

It was the Spanish / Gibraltar thread some years ago. By the time I went back to the post to reply it had been removed. I'm sure it was unintentional.
 Timmd 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Pyreneenemec:
> They can be very useful. A good example being the 'Have The French Gone Mad ' thread. DominicanDave was waffling on, saying in paragraphs something that could be better said in a couple of sentences. Certainly not worth replying too at lengthso I gave him a 'dislike'.

The dislike didn't express an opinion, though it just expressed disagreement or a dislike, so the dislikes only indicate that somebody somewhere doesn't agree with a post, or doesn't like it for a reason unexpressed.

What use is that? You can know this anyway, that people unseen won't agree with every post on the internet.

Edit after the first dislike: I rest my case.

They're a fat lot of good.

Now more people dislike it for reasons unexpressed, but I still don't know why - so how can dislikes register an opinion?

This is an object lesson in why they don't...
Post edited at 16:48
 Baron Weasel 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Oh Timmd, I have to give you a dislike for that because it IS the rules... And I normally like your posts!

Don't get upset though, life is just a ride and a ride to enjoy and you can take neither likes nor dislikes to the next life!

Peace out mofo
 Timmd 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:
I'm not upset at all, I'm just out to prove it's true.

(Watch out for the dislikes heh...)
Post edited at 17:00
 Sir Chasm 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I disliked it. Watching you claim they're useless because you don't know what they mean, in contrast to Offwidth disliking them because he claims he knows what they mean, is quite amusing. Oh, perhaps I should like it instead.

Alternatively, use the little code someone helpfully wrote and then you won't see them.
 Timmd 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> I disliked it. Watching you claim they're useless because you don't know what they mean, in contrast to Offwidth disliking them because he claims he knows what they mean, is quite amusing. Oh, perhaps I should like it instead.

Aha, that only proves my point perhaps - that their ambiguity means they are unclear in meaning?

> Alternatively, use the little code someone helpfully wrote and then you won't see them.

I'm not that fussed.
Post edited at 17:03
 Sir Chasm 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> Aha, that only proves my point perhaps - that their ambiguity means they 'are' unclear in meaning?

> I'm not that fussed.

That'll be why you hardly ever mention them.
 marsbar 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I don't recall the thread in question, but just to say I don't think you usually post racist stuff.

Which reminds me, whatever happened to Sam in Leeds?
 Offwidth 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Telling the children why they are stupid clearly doesn't stop them. Facebook did the research into dislike buttons and dumped the idea as a result; all in the face of apparent majority public support (and subsequent mass sulk). Never mind logic and research, dislikes gives the children a warm feeling inside and for some, cuts anxiety with long threads and poor attention spans. On the plus side it provides more chances for you and I to witness the fabulous gymnastics of rhetorical bilge in the defence of the button.
 Pyreneenemec 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Sorry, I have to give you a 'dislike' !

0Unknown0 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> That's not good, racist posts are bad. I don't believe I've ever made one intentionally, and I don't remember the post. it must have been several years ago if it was before the facility was introduced. I would rather that you took issue with me rather than use a dislike. I hope you did at the time?

I wouldn't worry about it, the label 'racist' has been so devalued these days, if you have not been labelled racist by someone then it is because you have not discussed racial issues in a modern world.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...