UKC

Advices needed on Ropes Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew_ing 27 Aug 2016
Evening all!

I am after some advice if possible.
Im an IRATA level 1, I currently hold no additional tickets although I do have experience cleaning, painting steel structures, window cleaning and inspections and maintaince of high ropes courses. I am saving to try gain some tickets possibly rigging or NDT.

However I am really struggling to find any work, all my experience has been within the context of outdoor education and struggling to make the move toward industry.

Many job adverts mention a need for a CSCS card but looking online I am a bit confused as to which one I would need.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to get started? I am currently sending 2-3 CVs a week and getting a bit disheartened by the lack of responses.

Cheers, Andy
 arch 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Andrew_ing:

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/Careers/Vacancies.aspx

Keep an eye out on here, or similar companies. They sometimes advertise for linesman operatives. Craftsmen in all but name ( just not allowed to work live)

Good luck.
 AP Melbourne 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Andrew_ing:

> Evening all!

> Im an IRATA level 1, I currently hold no additional tickets although I do have experience cleaning, painting steel structures, window cleaning and inspections and maintaince of high ropes courses. I am saving to try gain some tickets possibly rigging or NDT.

> However I am really struggling to find any work, all my experience has been within the context of outdoor education and struggling to make the move toward industry.

> Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to get started? I am currently sending 2-3 CVs a week and getting a bit disheartened by the lack of responses.

> Cheers, Andy

Andy: Grab a beer and sit down. Here we go:
Firstly, it is Rope Access or Roped Access, never 'Ropes'.
No idea where in the world you are but Melbourne, Australia, has more opportunities than you can poke a stick at in Access. Get A Trade and loads of hours up doing the basics and the rewards will follow. I wish you luck, I really do.
When we set up Vertigo in the early 90s we employed rock climbers from the campsite at Arapiles. Their rope/rigging skills were fine but they couldn't caulk in a straight line or paint a downpipe without splashing everyone walking by beneath. We ditched them all, only employ tradies and 'teach them the ropes' nowadays.
Very best wishes in your quest for employment mate.

Oh, and that's My sign-off your using by the way!
Cheers,
Andy.

As an employer o
 Rick Graham 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Andrew_ing:

Good advice from Andy.

Regarding the CSCS card.

If you have had any experience on a construction or building site and a modicum of common sense getting the basic ( easiest ) card should be a doddle. Do some site labouring ( general operative ) work if you need an intro.
 Laurence20 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Andrew_ing:
Geotechnical work is often a good starting point to gain hours. It's quite hard, dirty work - but it's easy enough to get a start. A lot of work is on railways, so you need a PTS (personal track safety), I think it's around £250 and a company needs to sponsor you (this will be sorted if you get a start). Some companies to call are QTS, Trac, CAN and Geckotech. Good luck mate!

Also should add, I've had pretty much constant work since I started, but have never landed a job (and barely received a response) from sending out CV's. It's all about phoning up companies, in my experience.
Post edited at 14:55
 arch 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:
We don't have a CSCS card. If a builder asks for one we are snookerd. However, if the builder wants Electric..............
Post edited at 15:48
OP Andrew_ing 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Laurence20:

Many thanks for the advice about phoning , i guess most companies get loads of CV's and this will help you stand out, I will definitely be in contact with the companies you suggest.
 Laurence20 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Andrew_ing:

No worries man, also there's a good website, rigg-access.com and several Facebook groups that have job postings. They're all worth joining. Where abouts are you based? I know of plenty work starting down near Bristol soon, so can get you some numbers for there if you happen to be in the South West.
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back to me, as much as I'm willing to travel however being based in Yorkshire, Melbourne may be pushing it.

I will look into getting a trade, are there any you consider to be more valuable when looking for new employees.

Cheers,
Andy
In reply to Laurence20:

I'm based in Yorkshire, but my folks live close to Bristol, so any numbers you have would be awesome!
 Rich W Parker 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Andrew_ing:

This is a link to blog I wrote a while back, might be useful.

http://www.access-mountain.com/#!On-the-Ropes/c7a5/55e401570cf28ffc7eecac5a

Getting a start has been a stumbling block for a long time, exacerbated currently by the low price of oil. Because there's not so much work offshore techs have been percolating back into other sectors. Your only hope is to be extremely committed to the long term hunt. Keep phoning, emails are easily bypassed and forgotten, ask contracts managers what you can do to become more employable etc...

Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...