UKC

Pex Hill Qy MERSEYSIDE - UPDATE VANDALISM!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lancsmike 28 Aug 2016
Hi all, wasn't going for any other updates as many walls in the quarry after much care cleaning and pruning of wild vegetation look much better even after the rain we've had. However after all the hard work this last few months , by my mate and I and other climbers at Pex, cleaning and taking away bags and bags of rubbish, vandals have struck
this weekend. Yesterday (Sat) near Pisa wall we came across lots of cans and glass bottles, some broken in three heaps. We had no time to do much as the rains came down. But low and behold on returning today we were shocked to find most of the bottles lay strewn at the foot of the wall in an enormous and dangerous mess. They had obviously been smashed against the rock last night. This is so dangerous that it needs someone to sort this out.I shall try to contact someone asap. We are warning climbers, walkers and people in general that to visit this normally great place, you need to take so much care. To step on the bottom half of an unexpected bottle of alcohol by any person or animal could mean a trip to A&E. Please take care, we are devastated, but we will sort somehow.
Removed User 28 Aug 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

Jesus man, from the title I was expecting someone had chopped a bunch of holds off the walls or something, not a bit of extra glass.
 kipper12 28 Aug 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

One of the reasons why I have given up on the place, that and flying bike frames and eggs
 Mick Ward 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Uncalled for. He's trying to help people and avoid a nasty accident. That's deserving of thanks, not snide comments.

Also you can fully understand him being gutted. All that hard work and then it just gets pissed on. Soul-destroying.

Every year Pex gets cleaned up by the locals. And then it gets trashed. And then they clean it up again (yes, and sometimes have to fill in chipped holds).

You can argue it both ways: a hole in the ground, trashed by students and scallies... and a superb climbing venue kept going by labours of love (and bloody hard work).

For me it's the latter.

Mick
OP lancsmike 29 Aug 2016

I wish your comments would have been helpful rather than flippant. In fact the rock for all intense and purpose
is just not climbable as you would probably end up in A&E if you went near the face. The whole lot needs delicate
removal. It isn't a Bit of glass. Also so much work had gone into getting this place clean so as you can climb on it .
OP lancsmike 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks so much for your reply, we will continue to carry on.
In reply to lancsmike:
What a set of bastards after all the good work you have been doing in trying to restore Pex.
This has been a problem at both Hobson Moor Quarry and Heptonstall where a friend of mine sustained badly cut fingers from broken glass on a route he was climbing.
Keep up the good work and when I recover from my recent accident, I'll be there to assist.
Thanks
Chris
Post edited at 15:21
 Pekkie 29 Aug 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

Hi mike,

Sorry, away at the moment. Will help when I get back.Got some ideas.
 bonebag 29 Aug 2016

Maybe you should be the one to clean it up after such a crap comment mate!
 john_mx 29 Aug 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

If you need a hand tidying up the place let me know and I am more then willing to help

Johnrogers13@msn.com

OP lancsmike 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Christheclimber:

Thanks Chris, really appreciate your comments; take care.
OP lancsmike 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Pekkie:
Thanks Pekkie, it has been a bit disheartening but we'll carry on.
Got some days away at end of this week , will see you soon, Ta.

Thanks to John and all for your support too .
Post edited at 22:42
 Mike Stretford 30 Aug 2016
In reply to lancsmike: Hi Mike, I went today with a brush and some bin bags. Cleared most of the glass from under Pisa wall and bagged the cans and bottles in that area. Another climber, who's name a didn't get, carried the rubbish off.

I was chatting to a local dog walker who said it's always after GCSE results so maybe another reminder to the local schools.

OP lancsmike 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Hi Mike , I went to Pex this afternoon , 4 ' ish to see how the detritus was after the weekend (as my mate & I could only do bits the other day) and took brushes , bags and stuff in case I could do a bit.
Well I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it all cleaned up! There was a couple of people on the wall too! It looks great now and safe, thank you and the other guy so much. I'm so made up; I did a boulder and went around Pex wall area as there were fragments and cans across to near Memorial wall and filled a bag. But that Pisa area is back to how it was great! Yeh, after students results it seems to happen , some years; gonna chat with Pete T. soon to see what we can do for future. Many thanks again.
 Mike Stretford 30 Aug 2016
In reply to lancsmike: No worries.... it was my turn to pitch in. Good thread, without seeing this I would have gone unprepared and got really annoyed with the mess. As it was I went 'tooled up' and it didn't take long.

Toerag 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> I was chatting to a local dog walker who said it's always after GCSE results so maybe another reminder to the local schools.

....or the local police. Although they may take the attitude that the idiots are better off in the quarry instead of the streets.
 Pekkie 05 Sep 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

The problem of bottle-smashing seems to have abated for now. It seemed to reach a peak around the 22nd July (exams completed) and the 29th August (results). Maybe we could plan ahead for future years - and for periodic clean-ups. One suggestion made is to set up a 'Friends of Pex' group which might carry greater weight with the authorities than individuals. Not a formal group with committees and all that mullarkey but an informal group based on UKC and maybe Facebook (I am linked to the old pekkies like Phil Davidson and Mark Hounslea via Facebook). Links to local climbing clubs/ walls etc. Request support from Parish and Borough Councils, Police, BMC and United Utilities. We could contact the college just ahead of time. Maybe they have their own students union/ sports clubs. Some of the students must be climbers. Maybe schedule clean-ups with barbecues.

Ideas welcome, especially experience of similar initiatives elsewhere.
 1poundSOCKS 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

> set up a 'Friends of Pex' group which might carry greater weight
> Ideas welcome, especially experience of similar initiatives elsewhere.

Might be worth trying to raise £50,000 or so, I'm sure b-focused and Thinkfarm will be able to come up with a better name.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

After six months of careful consultation, focus grouping, idea storming, etc, I have decided it will be called 'ClimbPex'.

Where should I send the bill...?
 Lornajkelly 06 Sep 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

if it's an exam results season problem then I presume it's over for another year but, just in case, I was there with my Dad a week or so ago and the mess quite upset him. He's an old Pex aficionado and it's awful to see his favourite local crag from his hard-climbing days in such a state, especially after we'd both gone to appreciate the hard work of yours and others' to clean it up earlier in the year. He's asked me to say that he'd like to get involved in any future clean-ups, whether rubbish collection or general gardening. Would it be possible for me to send you his email address, or can I ask that you contact me when you or others are planning a clean-up so I can pass the details of it on to him? Thanks in advance!
 Will Hunt 07 Sep 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

Thanks to all on this thread who are showing the love for Pex. With regards to setting up a "Friends" organisation, I think that is definitely an idea with some mileage. You could have a chat to the nearby Friends of Harmer's Wood for some inspiration. Slightly different circumstances in that they own the quarries and surrounds.

There's actually a chance I could call in early on Saturday morning for a session. Not sure how many of the old faces will remember me from my teenage days at Pex. Let me know if anybody is interested and I'll see if I can make it.
 Will Hunt 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Will Hunt:

And when I say Saturday morning, I actually mean Sunday morning.
 steveriley 08 Sep 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

Just a note to say I popped in last night expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised. I'd gone armed with a couple of bin-bags and gardening gloves, but happy to enjoy the hour climbing instead. Never got further than Pisa Wall but it was in pretty good nick, thanks to our unofficial caretakers
 marsbar 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

Can I suggest that on those dates each year you organise an evening climbing session and barbecue and invite as many people as possible, perhaps some of the teachers from the local school might like to come down for a quiet beer and burger, which being responsible you can clear up after yourselves. Once the yoof realise that there are other people in "their space" they will go elsewhere for fun. Especially if you invite them to join you in clearing up It moves the problem rather than solving it I admit, but what else can you do?
 Will Hunt 10 Sep 2016
In reply to lancsmike:

Still planning on a session somewhere tomorrow morning. Harmer's or somewhere if no partner, would like to do the knife if any locals can give me a belay.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=649492&new=8387854#x8387854
 SChriscoli 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

Shame the arseholes have struck again. After a concerted effort over the Summer, Pex was looking decent.

Since our key clean up and subsequent visits..I removed several bags of shite including many of the bottles/broken glass.

I don't think you'll struggle for help though, i know my fellow members at St Helens MC will always chip in.

As for an idea about periodic clean...may be nice (and good pr) to get United Utilites involved to sponsor the cleanup as part of their CSR programme and perhaps pay for a skip hire and consumables (bags etc).

We (the community) provide the manpower.
OP lancsmike 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

Hi Pekkie, thanks for your posts and those of fellow Pex enthusiasts. I've been away to Spain (just lazin, not
climbing this time) so just getting back into things. The ' Friends of Pex' idea might well be a good move
and a link up with Councils, Police , BMC & United Utilities as well as College, as you say.
Yes the recent craziness is on and off but generally about the time of 'Exam/results' as we've said so hopefully things will be more 'normal' again. And the getting rid of the last lot of glass etc via Mike S. and climber (post 30 Aug) was just great. Its just something to progress with after all the effort that my mate and I have put into care of the rock and gardening/cleaning etc ,as well as yourself and of course other climbers over recent times. It has all made the quarry much more inviting and as I visit I see more and more people engaging with the rock.
Lets keep up the positive spirit.
Thanks and I must say a big , big thank you to all those who have posted on this thread and have been down there and helped out , just tremendous. See you all down there, cheers.
OP lancsmike 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Lornajkelly:

Hi Lorna , glad to see you were down at Pex again , and yeh we do some work and then it all goes a bit messy, but we've persevered and thanks to others its looking good again. My mate and I try to get down there a day at least most weekends and the odd afternoon and we'll surely be grateful of any help for the future or just to have a chat sometime.
My mate and I have been climbing down Pex since we were youngsters with long hair; our training ground. So yeh we'll see you around, regards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...