UKC

Bike rack for VW transporter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 28 Aug 2016
We have one and need a bike rack that can carry 4 bikes. We have a boot that opens upwards. Any recommendations please?
 Maarten2 28 Aug 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Check out the Fiamme website, they've got bike racks for just about every type of van. http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/carry-bike/

then find a dealer in the UK, and order it through them.
 LG-Mark 28 Aug 2016

I use an Atera Strata DL4 towball mounted rack on my T5.
The great thing about this rack is that you can slide the rack back even when loaded with 4 bikes and lift the tailgate to access the rear of the van.
It's far and away the best rack for a T5. I searched long and hard but this was the best.
 cezza 29 Aug 2016

If you have a rear spoiler then you'll need a something mounted on the towbar

Cezza
 WaterMonkey 29 Aug 2016

You don't mention if it's a T4 or T5 but I use the Fiamma one on my T5 with tailgate.
Expensive but very well made and secure. It can take 4 bikes, but it's like jigsaw puzzle the first time you carry 4!
The VW one is possibly better but I believe is even more expensive.
Removed User 29 Aug 2016
In reply to cezza:

> If you have a rear spoiler then you'll need a something mounted on the towbar

I cut a neat slot in the spoiler.

iusedtoclimb 29 Aug 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Hi it is a T4 with a pop up roof.

I'm not a big fan of the ones connecting to tow bar as they are heavy for my wife to use

With the fiamma do you always leave it on? Where did you get it from?

Cheers
 didntcomelast 29 Aug 2016

I have a 3 bike Fiamma rack for my T5 with up and over door. Don't use it at all (it's at the back of the shed). You can have it for £150 if you can collect. I live on Tyneside.

Yep, they stay on. You need to make sure you get the right version (tailgate/barn door).

Don't do what we did and reverse into a lamppost a week after buying it...

Oh, we decided to take the opportunity to replace our gas lifters as the tailgate wouldn't stay open without the bikes on. We got uprated ones that now stay open even with 2 bikes on the back. Getting it back down can be a challneeg if you're small and light, like the girlfriend is!
 WaterMonkey 30 Aug 2016

> Hi it is a T4 with a pop up roof.

> I'm not a big fan of the ones connecting to tow bar as they are heavy for my wife to use

> With the fiamma do you always leave it on? Where did you get it from?

> Cheers

Yeah I leave mine on most of the time although in winter the tailgate will tend to not stay up due to the weight. I think I got mine from the fiamma website, but try just kampers too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...