UKC

I Saw a Lot of...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 29 Aug 2016
...people today in Jewish attire. OK, no problem with that except that they were all around Cwm Idwal and on the path up beside the Devil's Kitchen.

Initially, on my descent from Y Garn roughly level with the Devil's Kitchen, I was approached by some lads, attired in yamulke, white shirts, black trousers and town shoes and some dangley things round their waists. They asked me how much further it was to the DK so I pointed it out to them. over the course of the next halh hour or so I saw about twenty similarly attired men and some women in skirts. Hardly appropriate for walking in the mountains

Was today something in the Jewish calendar?
 deacondeacon 29 Aug 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

A walk round cwm idwal on a sunny day? It's hardly the Eiger North Face lol
Clauso 29 Aug 2016

Fairly sure that there aren't any special associations between Judaism and the Ogwen Valley... Maybe they just fancied a walk with friends?
Gone for good 29 Aug 2016

I was in North Wales all last week and saw people in orthodox Jewish attire everywhere. On Snowdon, at Colwyn bay whilst kayaking and at Llandudno. They all were having a jolly time but a notable absence of Mothers, only Fathers and children. I commented on it to my eldest daughter at the time.
 andrewmc 29 Aug 2016

Not entirely unpopular attire in Israel either, which I'm led to believe can get a bit hotter than N Wales even on a sunny Bank Holiday.
OP FesteringSore 29 Aug 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

> A walk round cwm idwal on a sunny day? It's hardly the Eiger North Face lol

But it wasn't just "round cwm Idwal". It was the scrambly, bouldery bit up past the DK and some that I spoke to at about fourish seemed determined to press on the the summit of Y Garn
Removed User 29 Aug 2016

I used to see similar groups of Jewish men and boys when I lived in Hebden Bridge. Stoodley Pike was a regular outing for them. Think they where from Manchester.

ThunderCat 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

I work in Salford quays. There was a spell last year when I seemed to notice a lot of Jewish families walking around the quays in traditional dress...chaps wearing the very big hats which actually look like hat boxes...?

And then they were gone.
Clauso 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> I was in North Wales all last week and saw people in orthodox Jewish attire everywhere...

What had you ingested?... You were probably haljewcinating?

ThunderCat 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> What had you ingested?... You were probably haljewcinating?

Worst pun ever... You deserve a like for that...
Gone for good 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Clauso:

You have excelled yourself with that one!
 ThunderCat 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> You have excelled yourself with that one!

Absolutely. Respect where respect is jew.
Lusk 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Clauso:
Yahweh out of order with that one
Post edited at 20:08
 toad 29 Aug 2016
Oddly enough I met quite a few on Exmoor / coast path last week. Guess there was a group on holiday there. I used to meet them /get asked for directions on the snake pass a lot, but that was more understandable because of the community in Manchester. One party were having a few problems with their mapping - I think they were Israeli. From snake summit, they were asking about this road to edale that they couldn't find. I had to explain about the pennine way.....
 felt 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Yahweh out of order with that one

Don't worry, his mum torah strip off him when she heard about it.
 ThunderCat 29 Aug 2016
In reply to felt:
Bastard. Been trying to think of a torah based pun.
 Oujmik 29 Aug 2016

I've seen this in the Snowdonia area before as well. Maybe it's just a particular group who go there regularly. I thought at the time perhaps there was an Orthodox Jewish community in the area for some historical reason or some kind of cultural connection but seems not.
 gethin_allen 29 Aug 2016

Probably just coach trip. I've often seen coaches pull up at pen y pass or ogwen cottage, everyone bails out to get a selfie or have a quick run up the nearest mountain and half hour later they've "done Snowdonia" and off they go.

It's not unusual for church groups to go away together so I can't see why it would be different in a Synagogue.
mysterion 29 Aug 2016

Think they just all go on holiday together in August. An odd sight indeed, a bit like when I arrived at the top of Mount Snowdon and found everyone there had a black labrador.

solostoke 29 Aug 2016

I also saw this. Strange but it is an easy path.
Did you see me in my flip flops? Managed to get round ok
 Dave Hewitt 29 Aug 2016

Similar sights on the Ochils last week - there was a big gathering of (I think) Hasidic Jews at Stirling University - they were staying in the student residences. On two different days I met groups of them on the Ochils, the first time halfway up the Law, then a couple more groups a few days later. One of the latter groups comprised a man dragging a pushchair behind him up quite steep/rough ground on the Nebit (not sure, but I think the pushchair might even have been attached to some kind of short rope). There was a toddler in it at first but thankfully they were taken out and helped along by some of the other children while the buggy was dragged uphill empty, but it was very slow progress and didn't look much like fun.

Lower down on the main track (quite stony and skiddy) there was a larger group of a dozen or so, including three or four men again each either dragging or pushing pushchairs. They too were all heading uphill with quite serious intent. Curious and interesting to see, given the very distinctive clothing etc. Good to see them getting out anyway, even if the buggy stuff looked a bit precarious. No sign of any such activity when I was up there again this evening, so they've probably all gone home now.

Re the Welsh example, there have been similar gatherings at Aberystwyth Uni, although a couple of years ago all the stuff with candles fell foul of fire regulations and they weren't allowed to stay.
 DerwentDiluted 30 Aug 2016

I have been told that there is a tradition in Judaism of exploring the wilderness at a certain time of the year, which is great, but it seems that no concessions are made to weather or terrain, hence the school group rescued from the Cairngorms a few years ago dressed in formal attire with only bin bags for weatherproof clothing, and the rescue from Dover earlier this year of a school party cut off by tides. There have also been incidents in the Peak District involving individuals in what I'd politely describe as 'less than supportive footwear'.

No puns, quite an unorthodox post for me.
 felt 30 Aug 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> No puns, quite an unorthodox post for me.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, Sinai more.
 Chris Harris 30 Aug 2016

Wailing Wall (E4 6a)

Maybe they were going do try this route?
 Dauphin 30 Aug 2016

Llandudno is a big holiday destination for ultra orthodox / Hasidic Jews. With their high birth rate they will become more visible in the next couple of decades. Bumped into a few high in the Himalayas, full ninja costume, or maybe it was just what I'd been smoking?

D
 BnB 30 Aug 2016

To all the Punters on this thread, and with due credit to the brilliant "petting jew", there is good reason why, amongst the smartest comedians, there is an overwhelming representation of Jewish voices. Don't give up your day Jobs.
Rigid Raider 30 Aug 2016

Perhaps Britain should arrange to hand Wales to the Jews as a kind of second homeland? I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
 DerwentDiluted 30 Aug 2016
In reply to BnB:

> To all the Punters on this thread, and with due credit to the brilliant "petting jew", there is good reason why, amongst the smartest comedians, there is an overwhelming representation of Jewish voices. Don't give up your day Jobs.

Point taken, I'll pun gentiley.
 Trangia 30 Aug 2016

Strange that you should say that. I was at Headcorn Airfield in Kent yesterday, doing a balloon trip, and I noticed a lot of orthodox Jews in the crowd watching the various aircraft, parachute and micro-light movements. They seemed to be family groups and had folding chairs out enjoying picnics.
Rigid Raider 30 Aug 2016
Just remembered that I was out on Winter Hill near Chorley a few summers ago and I bumped into a group of about 20 students from the Mormon temple beside the M6. Two things struck me; firstly that all the boys and girls were physically attractive; they all had great teeth and nice physiques and were well turned out and secondly, how reluctant they were to talk with me. Since then I've seen a TV documentary about the place from which I learned that they are not supposed to have any contact with the outside world for the first two years. It was a sad documentary as it showed a local lad who joined and was tragically homesick.

And anybody who walks or cycles around Holcombe Hill near Bury will be accustomed to seeing groups of Muslim students out walking from Dar ul Uloom, which is a Deobandi seminary in the former TB hospital at Holcombe. When I showed a Pakistani colleague the place he was absolutely shocked that Britain could allow the Deobandis to establish a college.
Post edited at 08:50
 ianstevens 30 Aug 2016

Snowdonia on a sunny day with a clear forecast in August is nothing to be concerned about. It's perfectly safe for people to go out in the non-remote hills of the U.K. in such attire IMO.
OP FesteringSore 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:
> Perhaps Britain should arrange to hand Wales to the Jews as a kind of second homeland? I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Funny you should say that. Some years ago I read that a Welshman had reason to visit an Arab country.

At immigration he was questioned in considerable detail about his family and ancestry; did any of his relatives live in Israel, so on and so forth. It transpired that the immigration staff were convinced that he had Jewish connection and that he was possibly working for Mossad. They were convinced that his surname was a version of Levi. It was, in fact, Lewis!

Maybe the Welsh are one of the lost tribes of Israel
Post edited at 10:13
 Dogwatch 30 Aug 2016

> . attired in yamulke, white shirts, black trousers and town shoes and some dangley things round their waists. They asked me how much further it was to the DK so I pointed it out to them. over the course of the next halh hour or so I saw about twenty similarly attired men and some women in skirts. Hardly appropriate for walking in the mountains

Town shoes for a walk to the Devil's Kitchen on a sunny day in August. The horror, the horror. Was it necessary to call out Ogwen MR? Has the Daily Mail been informed?

Rigid Raider 30 Aug 2016

My Christian name is a Biblical one and some Palestinian customers in Amman once teased me that I might actually be Jewish. It was in a typical Arab meeting with quite a few hangers-on sitting around the room and the MD suddenly threw the question at me. I offered to prove I wasn't Jewish then stood and began to undo my belt, which caused the room to erupt in hysterical laughter. For years afterwards my host would laugh as he recalled that meeting.
 Chris Harris 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> My Christian name is a Biblical

Which Book does "Rigid" appear in?

llechwedd 30 Aug 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Probably just coach trip. I've often seen coaches pull up at pen y pass or ogwen cottage, everyone bails out to get a selfie or have a quick run up the nearest mountain and half hour later they've "done Snowdonia" and off they go.

Not so. They're there every year, about the same time, for up to a week.
Lusk 30 Aug 2016
In reply to llechwedd & FesteringSore:

It seems you're going to have to go back next year and ask them.

I set off up Stamford Hill yesterday (missed the bus). Over the course of the next 400 yards to the summit I saw loads of Jews...if a huge storm had rolled in, I can say with certainty all were inappropriately dressed. What's going on?
 Dr.S at work 30 Aug 2016

> At immigration he was questioned in considerable detail about his family and ancestry; did any of his relatives live in Israel, so on and so forth. It transpired that the immigration staff were convinced that he had Jewish connection and that he was possibly working for Mossad. They were convinced that his surname was a version of Levi. It was, in fact, Lewis!

> Maybe the Welsh are one of the lost tribes of Israel

My Uncle is quite into genealogy, and has identified a Lewis in the family tree - he seems to think the name could be derived from Levi for some reason.
llechwedd 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> It seems you're going to have to go back next year and ask them.

I live there, so I encounter them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...