UKC

Ryanair flight seating issues?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shapeshifter 30 Aug 2016
I recently booked to fly to Portugal with Ryanair and opted not to book reserved seats, but to let them allocate our seats (no charge option). You can only check in on-line with non-reserved seats 7 days in advance and on doing that today 5 days before the flight, I find that in a party of 6, not one of us is sat anywhere near the others for the Outbound flight. Similarly for the Inbound flight you can only check in 7 days in advance, which means in our case the hassle of checking in the day we go away or whilst we're away, but we can of course pay extra for reserved seats now.

Just wondered had I just been unlucky, or is it more a case of Ryanair 'encouraging' me to spend more. I tend to use Easyjet, much more than Ryanair so wondered if anybody else has similar experiences?

Thanks in advance.
 James Malloch 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Shapeshifter:

If there are two of us we generally get seats together, when there were more of us we didn't. I guess it's look of the draw really.

Plus a way to make you spend more money.

They have an app on which you can have boarding cards which can make things easier when checking in abroad (no printing needed)
OP Shapeshifter 30 Aug 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

Yea I guess I'm just old fashioned and like my boarding card in paper!
 krikoman 30 Aug 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

> If there are two of us we generally get seats together, when there were more of us we didn't. I guess it's look of the draw really.

> Plus a way to make you spend more money.

I emailed them regarding this and their "new" policy of not pissing their customers off.

I didn't get a reply
 FesteringSore 30 Aug 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> I didn't get a reply

Did you honestly expect one?
 FesteringSore 30 Aug 2016

I have not flown Ryanair for ten years and, unless their attitude changes dramatically, have no intention of doing so.

Maybe I have just been lucky in finding alternatives to Ryanair.
 Scarab9 30 Aug 2016

well yeah...don't prebook your seats you get what's left. Pretty simple concept surely!

They do hang on to a few (like all airlines) for allocation by check in staff when needed such as people turning up with kids that haven't prebooked as there's obvious reasons you don't want a toddler sat 5 rows back from their parent, but as a group of 6 you really are very unlikely to all be sat together unless it's a quiet flight.
 GrahamD 30 Aug 2016

> I recently booked to fly to Portugal with Ryanair and opted not to book reserved seats, but to let them allocate our seats (no charge option).

Why are you surprised that they might not have a convenient unallocated block of 6 seats together ? I'm not really sure what people expect from budget airlines. In any case Portugal is hardly long haul. Just get yourself a good book.
 timjones 30 Aug 2016

> I recently booked to fly to Portugal with Ryanair and opted not to book reserved seats, but to let them allocate our seats (no charge option). You can only check in on-line with non-reserved seats 7 days in advance and on doing that today 5 days before the flight, I find that in a party of 6, not one of us is sat anywhere near the others for the Outbound flight. Similarly for the Inbound flight you can only check in 7 days in advance, which means in our case the hassle of checking in the day we go away or whilst we're away, but we can of course pay extra for reserved seats now.

> Just wondered had I just been unlucky, or is it more a case of Ryanair 'encouraging' me to spend more. I tend to use Easyjet, much more than Ryanair so wondered if anybody else has similar experiences?

> Thanks in advance.

I suspect that statistically it wouldn't be at all unusual for a party of 6 to be randomly allocated non-adjacent seats.

planetmarshall 30 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

As a fairly regular Ryanair user, I'm quite happy for groups of 6 to be broken up, as it means I'm less likely to have to put up with stupid conversations for the duration of my flight.
 Postmanpat 30 Aug 2016
> Just wondered had I just been unlucky, or is it more a case of Ryanair 'encouraging' me to spend more. I tend to use Easyjet, much more than Ryanair so wondered if anybody else has similar experiences?

>
I'd be gobsmacked to be allocated six seats together by any airline in such circumstances unless the flight were half empty (unlikely when flying to Portugal in late August). Often I can't even get an aisle seat for one!

I avoid Ryanair like the plague but in this case it seems to me they are being entirely reasonable.
Post edited at 15:59
 Neil Williams 30 Aug 2016
easyJet and Ryanair have the same policy on seat allocation if you don't pay to select - if there are contiguous blocks you get them, if there aren't tough.
Post edited at 16:01
In reply to GrahamD:

Didn't expect to get 6 together but having flown with Easyjet and other budget airlines regularly, you usually manage to get say 3 pairs. Never had a situation where nobody was near anybody else - especially out of peak season. Given Ryanair's reputation for ripping people off I was hoping for some informed comment rather than the bleeding obvious.
In reply to timjones:

I didn't mean 6 together - I was thinking pairs perhaps
 MG 30 Aug 2016

Does it matter for a couple of hours?
In reply to MG:
> Does it matter for a couple of hours?

Not particularly - but to not have at least one pair together in a party of 6 seemed unusual and being generally suspicious of Ryanair's approaches to customer service, I wondered if it was a new trend in trying to encourage people to reserve seats. Hence I was interested in other people's experiences.

I'm sorry I asked frankly but that's UKC for you.

imkevinmc 30 Aug 2016

Party of 6 equals potential hen/stag party. Split them up for the sake of everyone else on the flight, crew answer passengers.

Ridge 30 Aug 2016
In reply to imkevinmc:

> Party of 6 equals potential hen/stag party. Split them up for the sake of everyone else on the flight, crew answer passengers.

I don't imagine ryanair are that smart, but if they were I'd applaud the policy.
 FreshSlate 30 Aug 2016

> Not particularly - but to not have at least one pair together in a party of 6 seemed unusual and being generally suspicious of Ryanair's approaches to customer service, I wondered if it was a new trend in trying to encourage people to reserve seats. Hence I was interested in other people's experiences.

> I'm sorry I asked frankly but that's UKC for you.

You're sorry you asked a climbing forum for informed comment on Ryanair's seat allocation policy?

What did you expect?
 timjones 30 Aug 2016

> I didn't mean 6 together - I was thinking pairs perhaps

I'd say that if you are seated at random then it is still unlikely.
Bogwalloper 30 Aug 2016
Ryanair have been on the ball now for a couple of years. Can't fault them.

Wally

Robert Durran 30 Aug 2016
In reply to imkevinmc:

> Party of 6 equals potential hen/stag party. Split them up for the sake of everyone else on the flight, crew answer passengers.

Maybe. but split them up and it's more likely someone else is going to have to sit next to a drunken, vomiting imbecile who refuses to stop shouting to his mates at the other end of the plane and sit down and put his seat belt on for landing like happened to me on a Ryanair Barcelona flight.
 GrahamD 30 Aug 2016

Ryan Air do not 'rip people off'. They deliver a budget service at a budget price. Starbucks and Apple rip people off. How much did you pay per person return that makes you feel ripped off ?
Bellie 30 Aug 2016

I checked in today, and don't think you have to check everyone in at the same time, so it may have helped to 'check in' in pairs. Does seem odd that no one is together at all. I can't think that it is to stop larger parties being rowdy, unless the same rule applied after you had coughed up the £4 each to select a seat.
 FactorXXX 30 Aug 2016

When you get on the plane, walk past your seat, sit on the floor and make a video about it...
 bonebag 30 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Quite right GrahamD. They don't rip you off they just con you instead. Offer nice cheap seats but as soon as you buy the extra bits like seats and baggage you pay almost the same as some scheduled airlines. So not quite so budget is it unless all you have is hand baggage matey.
 bonebag 30 Aug 2016

"I'm sorry I asked frankly but that's UKC for you"

I agree with you Shapeshifter. Sometimes on UKC you get more flack than helpful opinion. Don't bother next time is probably best. Go back to Easyjet. I haven't used Ryanair either for many years. I'd rather pay a bit more and go scheduled. At least you know what you are paying upfront and often it's not that much more.
In reply to bonebag:

> Quite right GrahamD. They don't rip you off they just con you instead. Offer nice cheap seats but as soon as you buy the extra bits like seats and baggage you pay almost the same as some scheduled airlines. So not quite so budget is it unless all you have is hand baggage matey.

Do you pay without looking at the price first?
In reply to bonebag:

> I'd rather pay a bit more and go scheduled. At least you know what you are paying upfront and often it's not that much more.

Do you pay without looking at the price first?

GrahamD 31 Aug 2016
In reply to bonebag:

> Quite right GrahamD. They don't rip you off they just con you instead. Offer nice cheap seats but as soon as you buy the extra bits like seats and baggage you pay almost the same as some scheduled airlines. So not quite so budget is it unless all you have is hand baggage matey.

Even with baggage, the cost of a flight with ryan Air is usually extraordinarily inexpensive. If you think the cost of flying to Portugal is really £5 and Ryan Air would be making an unhealthy profit on it you really are in cloud cuckoo land. Airlines simply aren't that cheap to run.

Here's a handy tip: try budgeting your trip based on all the things you need to organise for it: transport to airport, airport parking, hire car, flight, luggage, airport meals. That way you won't be surprised and you'll realise the flight is the least rip off part of the whole travel process.
 Neil Williams 31 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:
Airlines make half of naff all on the price of the flight itself - I think I saw easyJet quoted as saying on average they make about £5 per passenger per single journey, which means many lower fares are going to be significant loss leaders. Where profit is made is the extra services and the food on board. It's a bit like petrol stations - they make next to no profit on the actual fuel, it's mostly made on the stuff in the shop - that's why you don't see pay at the pump at the vast majority of forecourts, and where you do it's ones with small shops and no coffee etc.

OK, we've passed the time of the 1p flight to a more sensible one, in a way, but I agree - flying is not expensive for what it is. It's extraordinarily cheap, in fact. Often cheaper, at least for 2 people, than it would be to drive (if you consider the full cost of using your car, not just the fuel), which when you consider all the things you're paying for is quite impressive, really.
Post edited at 11:51
 mrphilipoldham 31 Aug 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Their attitude has changed, and are now as pleasant to fly with as all the other budget airlines.. if not more so in the case of Vueling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...