UKC

Holding an AGM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 30 Aug 2016
Mrs. Fester is the treasurer of a local surgery friends group for which the AGM is scheduled for next Monday.

For whatever reasons some of the committee members are making excuses for not attending, even though the date has been known for twelve months. Mrs. F thinks that they are making excuses because they don't want to be re-elected.

Can anyone advise how to deal with this please? Is there a minimum number of committee members (quorum?)required to attend?
 MG 30 Aug 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

> Can anyone advise how to deal with this please?

Surely they will all be unanimously re-elected? Can't see the problem!

OP FesteringSore 30 Aug 2016
In reply to MG:

Thanks, I think the problem is that there is no clearly defined quorum and I believe that if, for example, only three(?secretary and treasurer?) out of say ten members bother to turn up this might not constitute a quorum and the meeting is not valid.
 Ramblin dave 30 Aug 2016

AFAIK there's no UN Resolution on Quora for Surgery Friends Group AGMs - it depends on their constitution (if they have one and it specifies) or whatever compromise actually results in stuff getting done (if they don't or it doesn't).

In general, though, if people aren't turning up to the AGM because they don't want to risk being coerced into being on the committee then they might have a deeper problem than just the AGM procedures - they might want to be talking about what's making it such an unattractive job.
 summo 30 Aug 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> might have a deeper problem than just the AGM procedures - they might want to be talking about what's making it such an unattractive job.

there must be something lurking there; boring, onerous, tiresome, people issue or just a pointless committee that changes nothing.

OP,

I would door knock or ring the individuals personally and have chat over a brew one to one, try to get to the bottom of the problem. After that you should know the best course of action, which might just be recruiting some fresh blood onto the committee. Some people join committees with good intentions and they just turn out to be different to what they originally envisaged, I was a parish/town councillor for a couple of years and generally pi$$ing into the wind would have been more productive, it just sucked the life out of me.
 GrahamD 30 Aug 2016

> Can anyone advise how to deal with this please? Is there a minimum number of committee members (quorum?)required to attend?

Why is this the treasurer's problem to deal with ? surely this is for the secretary or the chairman to deal with.
 summo 30 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> surely this is for the secretary or the chairman to deal with.

perhaps they are the problem that is pushing the others away and that's why they aren't dealing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...