UKC

Dear Site Administrators ,,,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AP Melbourne 31 Aug 2016
Any chance of a new icon in the toolbar for people to pop in for a serious chat about health issues please? Or do we just go Off Belay or rant down The Pub?
Am sure there are overworked doctors, nurses and patients in the house who can exchange a little advice about manic depression and anxiety.
Many thanks,
Andy P.

marsbar 31 Aug 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

I usually put anything like that in the pub, then it's not recorded for posterity. I expect the site could get into trouble for encouraging non qualified medical opinions, and qualified people can't be held accountable if they don't really know you.

Anxiety is a pain in the posterior.

Do you have a bipolar diagnosis? If not it may be worth getting seen, either for help with that, or to check it's not something else. Untreated ADHD can be mistaken for manic for example.

Take care.
 Dr.S at work 31 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Non qualified opinion should not get anybody into trouble (unless they believe it).

Medical practitioners have to be far more cautious as they could potentially be in hot water if they give advice over the internet to somebody who is not a patient of theirs.
 Big Ger 31 Aug 2016

I'm always cautious about offering anything other than vague general advice, without seeing people face to face.

The trouble is doubled on forums, where even the most generalised information get's nit picked to death by "reductio ad absurdum" merchants.
 JJL 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> get's

I see what you did there
 plyometrics 31 Aug 2016

As valuable as seeking solace / comfort / advice from internet forums may be for those with depression and anxiety, (the former I have personal experience of) I suspect a dedicated discussion section for health issues has the potential to do more harm than good, particularly when considering anxiety.

I also remember, in the dim and distant past, when this used to be a forum about climbing...

Flippancy aside, I do wish you the very best of luck with your own situation.
OP AP Melbourne 31 Aug 2016
> Any chance of a new icon in the toolbar for people to pop in for a serious chat about health issues please?

K.
I'll take that as a no then , thanks for the feedback (and am NOT being sarky this time).
Was just testing the waters coz doctors jump on Google and prescribe lots of pills thats all.
Must sleep but shall leave you with an old (and refined) quote from the ex champion boxer Chris Eubank Snr which is very, very apt:
'I don't just look forward to my nightmares, I actually enjoy them'.
Bad, err , good night.
AP. x

Timmd 31 Aug 2016
The biggest break through I made with my anxiety was realising that nothing changed in the outside world whether I was feeling anxious or not. It took quite a while of putting myself through different situations to get to that point, but that was a key moment for me. In terms of what to take for it, a doctor you know would probably be the best bet.
Post edited at 18:02
 marsbar 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Breathing exercises actually help, scientifically as well. I can't remember why, but there was a good reason.
 FactorXXX 31 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Breathing exercises actually help, scientifically as well. I can't remember why, but there was a good reason.

A girl in school suffered from anxiety and went to see her Doctor about it.
He put a stethoscope on her chest and said: 'Big breaths'.
To which she replied: 'I know and I'm only thixteen'...
 Stu Tyrrell 31 Aug 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne: Its OK Andy, I am going to buy your book!

aln 31 Aug 2016

I've had my share of troubles in the last few years and I've posted on here, a few times in extremis, and it definitely helped. There's good people and it can be a supportive community, some of the personal messages I received helped pull me back from the edge of maybe doing myself some real harm. Don't be afraid to share.
OP AP Melbourne 01 Sep 2016
In reply to aln:

> I've had my share of troubles in the last few years and I've posted on here, a few times in extremis, and it definitely helped. There's good people and it can be a supportive community, some of the personal messages I received helped pull me back from the edge of maybe doing myself some real harm. Don't be afraid to share.

Thanks aln and all, appreciated.
Off to the quack's now for a referal to the psyche ward.
Hope everyone's well.
Nuff said now,
Cheers,
AP.
 marsbar 01 Sep 2016

Sent you an email, but I don't think it got there? Anyway take care and thinking of you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...