UKC

Best resoler in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
As per the title. I use to use Feet First in Chesterfield (the last time was about 15 years ago) but haven't used anyone since.
 GridNorth 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Llanberis resoles IMO.

Al
 Paul16 31 Aug 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

+1 for Llanberis resoles
 planetmarshall 31 Aug 2016

I wonder about the economics. With the price of a resole vs the price of a new pair of shoes it's barely worth the expense.
 Mick Ward 31 Aug 2016
In reply to GargoyleFeet:
+2 for Llanberis resoles

Mick
Post edited at 10:31
In reply to planetmarshall: I'm not sure myself. How much is a resole? I'm asking for an actual friend rather than for a "friend" if you see what I mean. If I was doing it myself boots are around the £90/100 mark new so it might be worth it but my experiences in the past was that the boots always ended up feeling baggy and didn't really hold their form.

snoop6060 31 Aug 2016

A resole is about 40-45 these days if you get a rand. It hardly seems worth it but I'm keen on the fit of old resoled shoes for trad and easier climbing. So the price is not the only consideration for me.

I've used llanberris resoles, good work. recently used feet first via awesome walls and they did a really good job on 2 pairs of my shoes. One was a down turned slipper ( 5.10 team) and they came back better than new and the exact same shape.
 CurlyStevo 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

+3 for llanberis reoles
 CurlyStevo 31 Aug 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

my modern shoes are £100 ish so its still economical and I prefer worn in boots
 GridNorth 31 Aug 2016

I agree that the cost is getting a little questionable but when you have a pair of shoes that are comfortable and effective it seems a shame to throw them away just when they are broken in.

Al
 nutme 31 Aug 2016
I had a good job done by Chida Climbing. Dropped shoes at gym and picked up three weeks later resoled and holes fixed. It was £35. Very happy with it.

But it was my favourite pair of shoes. Otherwise I just send used ones to landfill and order some discounted for under £50.

Llanberis Resoles for sure.
In reply to planetmarshall:
That was my thinking till this year. Have stuck with the same model of shoe for ten years and always managed to wait till discounted at some point. This year with an RRP now of £100 and little or no discount available anywhere for whatever reason, I decided to get 2 pairs resoled since I felt it more economic at just under half new price.

To OP can't compare resolers since this is a first, but more than happy with work done. The plus bonus is the shoes are as well fitting as when I stopped using them so save me the pain of breaking in new shoes.
 CurlyStevo 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

who did you use?
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Cheshire Resoles - I pick them from previous posts on here that recommended them but swayed partly since it was a bit of a trial for me so decided to go for the cheapest overall (I needed a new rand). Turn around less than a week and happy with result so would use again. Should add my shoes are not technical ones so fit for me is comfort than outright performance.
 hms 31 Aug 2016

Cheshire Resoles turned my daughter's technical downturned shoes into useless clogs. I'd firmly vote for Llanberis - excellent workmanship and the shoes come back the shape they are supposed to be! And now cheap euro shoe deals are no more, resoling is likely to be more of a go to option on top end shoes I reckon.
 GridNorth 31 Aug 2016
In reply to hms:

What cheap euro cheap deals? And why are they no more?

Al
 humptydumpty 31 Aug 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

Devaluation of the Sterling?
 Max factor 31 Aug 2016

I've used FF, Cheshire and Llanberis resoles.The Llanberis ones totally delaminated, were sent back to be reglued and delaminated again. I think the guy says on his website that some just don't take, which is a bugger as otherwise he'd done a decent job of keeping their shape and fit.
In reply to hms:
I'll remember that if I ever need a technical pair resoled, thanks.

As I said mine are not technical, price was a consideration for what was a trial for me, and I got a more than satisfactory result. I personally have nothing to compare with though.

BTW I nearly went for L. Resoles from online recommendations but they would have been around £58 each incl P&P etc for what I needed doing and I was comparing price to (if I was really lucky online) a new pair in in region of £78 or a bit more.
 hms 31 Aug 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

used to be able to get kit from the likes of EpicTV etc at a fraction of the UK prices & with free shipping from Europe. The euro exchange rate going tits up, thanks to Brexit, has put paid to that.

WRT price - quick check and it is £35 + £5 P&P for a straight resole from Llanberis, bit more if rands are also needed.

I wouldn't get a single pair of shoes resoled over and over again, but doing it once certainly still gives a saving, as mine are now the wrong side of £100 new.
 GridNorth 31 Aug 2016
In reply to hms:
I'll have to take your word for it. Last time I looked EpicTV were selling Sportiva performance shoes, normally retailing at £120 - £130 ,for under £100. Seemed like a decent deal to me.

Al
Post edited at 13:59
 CurlyStevo 31 Aug 2016
Cheshire and feet first are comparable. Neither rerand very well and their standard resole is quite good but not as good as llanberis by quite a margin.

However about 1 in 5 times both cheshire and feet first will do a pretty shoddy job and one boot will come back shorter etc.

All the resolers suffer from the sole coming unstuck occasionally.
Post edited at 14:31
 HakanT 31 Aug 2016

I use Cheshire Shoe Repairs. I tried Llanberis once and the new sole delaminated within a week.
 humptydumpty 31 Aug 2016
In reply to hms:

> WRT price - ...bit more if rands are also needed.

Mine always seem to need a new rand
 Mr. Lee 31 Aug 2016

Cheshire Resoles. Never had any problems and always a quick return. Note that their prices include P&P as well as rand/stitching repair if needed.
 jimjimjim 31 Aug 2016

I had two pairs of 5.10's done at Llanberis, cost about 60 quid. If I hadn't of done it I'd would have to have bought two new pairs at over 200 quid. They were as good as new when I got them back. They did take a while because he was on holiday but we'll worth it for me.
 planetmarshall 31 Aug 2016
In reply to jimjimjim:

> I had two pairs of 5.10's done at Llanberis, cost about 60 quid. If I hadn't of done it I'd would have to have bought two new pairs at over 200 quid.

I've never paid more than about £60 for a pair of climbing shoes. Even now there are plenty of pairs available at Bergfreunde for less than £80, and that's for a brand new pair. To pay around £40 for what is effectively a second hand pair (albeit with new rubber) just doesn't make economic sense to me.
 Mr. Lee 31 Aug 2016

Yeah my Climb X shoes cost the same as a resole. Ironically I actually resoled a couple of pairs from force of habit before realising this! If I'd spent weeks painfully breaking in a pair of shoes then I could see the benefit of a resole verses buying a new pair.
 CurlyStevo 31 Aug 2016
Of course it makes economic sense. When LLanberis do the resole it comes back better than new as its already worn in and comfortable but the sole retains its shape, plus you can choose the resole rubber.

Typically you can get 3-4 resoles out of one pair of shoes even comparing to a 60 quid pair that's a saving of 60-80 pounds. However as you point out most shoes now are 80 pounds and my current shoes are both 100 pounds.

If you can find shoes in your size you like for 40 pounds then perhaps you are right.
Post edited at 16:18
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Thanks for that. Must have been lucky! I probably will give Llanberis a try next time.
 FreshSlate 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Max factor:
> I've used FF, Cheshire and Llanberis resoles.The Llanberis ones totally delaminated, were sent back to be reglued and delaminated again. I think the guy says on his website that some just don't take, which is a bugger as otherwise he'd done a decent job of keeping their shape and fit.

I had the exact same experience. Sent two pairs off of the same green anasazis, one to cheshire one to Llanberis. Llanberis delaminated within a week, sent back, delaminated again. Cheshire shoes still going strong, could take pictures if anyone is mega interested. Cheshire tend to replace much more of the sole, which is neither here or there but another difference I noticed.
Post edited at 17:32
 jimjimjim 08 Sep 2016

That's fine. I myself am addicted to 5.10 anazi. I've tried loads of shoes but none beat these for fit and performance....for me.; )
 uphillnow 08 Sep 2016

Same experience - Cheshire resole turned a pair of the original pink 5.10'S INTO WELLIES. Still have them in case friends were thinking to use them.
 marky 08 Sep 2016
Llanberis resoles - no question.
Post edited at 19:31
 climber34neil 08 Sep 2016

Feet first Chesterfield are still excellent
 Wayne S 08 Sep 2016
Took five pairs onto feet first, all well resold, three held together long enough to wear out again and 2 pairs still going strong. Couldn't fault at all.
 mike123 09 Sep 2016
Likewise I haven't bothered having shoes resoled for about 15 years but used to use feet first regularly. I think it depends on the shoe . with most modern performance shoes its a waste of time , the sole doesn't stick well and they feel horrible . However old school all day shoes used to resole like new and the soles would last.At some point In the dim and past I had a few pairs of asolo la rage which were a great all round shoe that were similar to boreal aces but a fraction more expensive , they would take 2,or three resoles before the uppers gave out and they seemed to get better after each one . Maybe it's because they were made of leather ?
I be would be intrested to hear if anyone has had Anasazi s resoled successfully as they don't seem to last 5 minutes these days. ( and when I was a lad this was all fields you know ) .
 Tim Sparrow 09 Sep 2016

Llanberis for me too.
 neuromancer 09 Sep 2016

Best resolers?

eBay.

Someone will always have bought shoes too small.
 Andrew Wilson 10 Sep 2016

Llanberis resoles. I've had around 6 or 7 pairs done now. Have got 4 pairs of shoes on rotation and some have been done at least twice. Couple of them have had to have rand repairs as I left it too late but this works really well and looks good too.

Great way of keeping your comfy/best fit shoes in service!
 Andrew Wilson 10 Sep 2016
In reply to mike123:

I've had my Anasazis done twice, second time had to do the rand too. I seem to be only just getting them comfy!

Andy
 torquil 26 Sep 2016

I'd use Llanberis Resoles because that's me!!

In truth I think the worthiness of resoling a pair of shoes depends a lot on the shoe - any scarpa or Sportivas will always resole better than an Anasazi, in that they'll retain their shape better and be much less prone to delaminating. If the Anasazi is fairly new then it should just be ok, whereas I've done a pair of Instincts 5 times over (inc rands) and they were still bouldering 8b.

I'd like to think I do a better job at keeping the shape than any other uk resoler - yes, delamination is an issue but I'll always reglue for free, occasionally (nearly always Anasazis) I'll get a shoe that refuses to stay stuck in which case I'll refund you.

As for cost, if someone sends me an old pair of cheap shoes that need the full rand repair at £55 then the first thing I do is let them know they can get them online for only £5 more and ask if they really want them doing. It not always economical and I'll be the first to point that out. But a £35 resole on a £100+ pair of shoes that resole well is pretty good sense.

Btw I've done about 3500 pairs now and it's all me doing every shoe, I'm always learning and ukc feedback helps with that, good and bad, so thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...