UKC

Offsets & brassies - HB vs DMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 31 Aug 2016
I've sourced some brand new HB offsets (brass & alloy) and (I think) IMP equivalents. Are these any better than the DMM versions or vice versa?
In reply to humptydumpty: Since HB went bust years ago it is generally a moot point.

The finish on the DMM ones is much better than HB ever managed but I haven't found there is any difference in use between the original HB brass offsets and the current DMM version
OP humptydumpty 31 Aug 2016
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Thanks, v helpful. But for me not a moot point, as I have access to both. I'll probably stick with the modern ones though if there's no real difference.
 wbo 31 Aug 2016
In reply to humptydumpty: sometimes they fit better, sometimes they dont

Timmd 31 Aug 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:
I paid through the nose for some HB ones from South Africa (once import charges had been paid), and then DMM brought out their versions. As far as I can tell, the brass ones are the same from both brands, and the DMM ones look to be better designed to me, in having the wire 'within the profile' of the nut where it goes across the top of it, which seems like it'd help to protect it from damage. Possibly they're lighter too, but it's the wire being protected from abrasion by the shape of the nut which struck me as the biggest improvement on the original design.

I can't speak on which places more easily not having used both.
Post edited at 16:13
 Timmd 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Argh, 'the DMM alu ones' that should say.
ClimberWUE 21 Sep 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

look at the cables. HB used a heat shrink tubing. The tubing loses fitting with age.
DMM improved this. There is now a clamp fixed on one side and let the other side smoothly glide. With heat shrink tubing the cables stuck together.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...