UKC

New Year in Colorado

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveM 31 Aug 2016
What to do in Colorado for 2 1/2 weeks (Dec 28th - Jan 13th)? Obviously visiting friends in Boulder is first on the list. But what else, I'm thinking some skiing, a mini-roadtrip over to Ouray for some ice-climbing and a visit to Neptune Mountaineering. Inspiration needed please...
 Jeff Ingman 31 Aug 2016
In reply to SteveM:

After you've warmed up your ice climbing muscles at Ouray, get yourself over to Vail and do the Rigid Designator and the Fang, then down into town for a pitcher of beer. The skiing is pretty good in Vail also. Enjoy.........Jeff
In reply to SteveM:

Temps could be -14 or +14 at that time of year - and on successive days. New Year last year was below freezing but the following week quite warm.

If it's above about +5 then you can climb in the sun at Eldo (trad) or Shelf Road (sport) in tee shirts - both highly recommended. I climbed at Shelf many weekends last winter.

If you are going to Ouray, I'd hop over to Moab and go hiking in the Needles area of Canyonlands NP - and if it's warm spell you could climb at Indian Creek, Wall Street etc.
OP SteveM 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:
Thanks both, sounds like we're going to have some large bags to fly with then! Thinking of hiring a campervan and travelling around a bit. Any other ski area recommendations or places to go/do?
Post edited at 11:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...