UKC

Ebay again! Strange offer to buy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeTS 01 Sep 2016

Thanks for the advice last time from eBay experts. Another question. I advertised a camera for sale and within hours got an offer. It is for more than I asked, and the person joined only on the day my posting went onto eBay. They of course have no track record on eBay. I am assuming this is some kind of scam. What do you think? Could it be real?
Post edited at 06:11
 Dax H 01 Sep 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

Either they pay too much then asl for some back by way of transferring the extra to a friend but it's all done on a stolen credit card but they have taken the money and run by the time it comes to light and you are left out of pocket
Or they claim it was never delivered, PayPal refund them and you don't have a camera anymore or the money.
In reply to MikeTS:

If it looks and smells too good, it probably is.
 bouldery bits 01 Sep 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

Scam.
OP MikeTS 01 Sep 2016
In reply to MikeTS:
It does sound too good to be true. But I am wondering (from outside the situation) what they are trying to do. For example, if I was running a scam, I would negotiate to appear genuine, and set up accounts in advance to use, perhaps even making a small purchase to get a rating. Also if it is a credit card scam, then Paypal would be clued in I assume. And anyway, it is the credit card company, not the seller, that is hit. Most likely the 'goods not received' or the 'goods not as advertised' scam where they don't pay and don't return them, do you think?
Am inclined to report to eBay as a possible scam.
Post edited at 09:20
OP MikeTS 01 Sep 2016
In reply to MikeTS:
This is fun. I emailed the person making the offer and asked for ID. Two minutes later I got an offer at my asking price from a £person£ with a very similar profile.

Reported all this to eBay.
Post edited at 09:48
 Neil Williams 01 Sep 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

Scam.

When using eBay I only ever sell at auction and refuse all offers - if you want it, bid. That tends to fend off the vast majority of the fraud.
OP MikeTS 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:
Good advice. I think I will remove and relist as an auction. But you are subject to the usual scam possibilities.
Post edited at 10:07
 Neil Williams 01 Sep 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

Yes, it isn't invincible, but it does reduce it a bit.
 Mike Nolan 01 Sep 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

Have you listed it on one of the Facebook groups too? I recently sold my camera through 'Outdoor Gear Exchange UK' and also a lens through 'Buy Sell Swap Camera and Photography Gear - UK'.
OP MikeTS 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Mike Nolan:

thx will look
 Siward 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

Whereas I have bought many items listed on ebay but outside of its protections. Not that reckless really- if one follows some basic common sense precautions (speak to them, only pay once in possession of the goods) there is no reason why it shouldn't work- it's no different to buying something from a classified ad in the paper.
 mike123 01 Sep 2016
In reply to MikeTS:
Scam.Also , the last two cameras I purchased were off here and there are usually fairly recent posts from people looking . I usually try selling anything vaguely outdoorsy on here before eBay. One attracts a better class of skinflint I find .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...