UKC

Let a new static rope on a ledge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Meeko 02 Sep 2016

Hi all,

New to the forum so not sure where to post this topic.

Long story short, went climbing last week and left a brand new 60m static rope on a ledge.

Anyway, no one really climbs their so managed to get it back worse thing is it's took us 8 days to realise we left it as I presumed my friend had it, he thought I had it! Now it's been sunny here in north wales and also raining as usual.. The ledge we left it on faces south where we left it so guaranteed it's been sat the sun all day.

Big question..... Should we still use it???

Cheers guys
Post edited at 09:45
 john arran 02 Sep 2016
In reply to Meeko:

As long as it passes a visual inspection for damage then, yes. Ropes are not significantly damaged by UV, certainly not in that timescale.
 top cat 02 Sep 2016
In reply to Meeko:

Yes, should be fine.................as long as the mice or whatever haven't been at it
 GrahamD 02 Sep 2016
In reply to Meeko:

Another thing to remember is that static ropes really don't take any significant load. Body weight at most. I think it would take more than a week of N.Wales sunshine to have me worried !
 pec 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Meeko:

People routinely abseil off bits of old rope which have been left round a tree/spike etc for a few years. Most of the strength of a rope is in the core which isn't exposed to sunlight, tape on the otherhand does suffer as all the fibres are exposed at some point, but not after only 8 days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...