UKC

Does the world need a dodgy esoterica guide?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 03 Sep 2016
A number of my friends have been casting aspersions on my taste in routes over the years, and several have now suggested that I should write a guidebook consisting purely of dodgy rock, vegetation and esoterica.

So...

Would there be a market for a guidebook consisting of maybe 50-100 routes across the country graded between Diff and VS?

All climbing styles would be represented, but all routes would be either lightly travellled, remote or simply repellent to all right thinking people.

I reckon I have about 30 so route suggestions would also be welcome.
In reply to davidbeynon:

I've often considered the same but I think part of the fun with these is discovering their existence yourself.
 Dave 88 03 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I'd buy that. Went through a bit of a phase of these kinda routes and they were some of the best days out I've had (although usually only in hindsight!).
 deepstar 03 Sep 2016
OP d_b 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

You have a good point there. Maybe best to cross off the high quality but untravelled and stick to the repellent!
OP d_b 03 Sep 2016
In reply to deepstar:

I was about to email you actually, as you moderate the exmoor coast traverse page. Do you think "The Claw" belongs in there, or should I add it to UKC somewhere else.

I'm planning to have a poke at it this month, and have just ordered some marquee stakes...
 deepstar 03 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I only moderate it as no one else was and I was planning a look at it myself, time and tide got in the way.Feel free to take over the moderation if you like, it looks a great expedition and deserves more attention.
OP d_b 03 Sep 2016
In reply to deepstar:

I'll add the claw to the page then. Don't feel I'm local/knowledgable enough to take over moderation but I'm quite enthusiastic about having a go at the full traverse if I can find someone stupid enough.

I found this account of the successful 1978 attempt quite inspiring: http://members.madasafish.com/~exmoorwalker/page100.html
 deepstar 03 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I'll add the claw to the page then. Don't feel I'm local/knowledgable enough to take over moderation but I'm quite enthusiastic about having a go at the full traverse if I can find someone stupid enough.

I'd be up for joining you, like yourself I've never found anyone gullible enough to attempt it.

OP d_b 03 Sep 2016
In reply to deepstar:

Cool. I'm treating the claw as a recce - if it goes according to plan then I will consider the full traverse. Drop me an email - the one I tried sending you bounced.
 Pbob 03 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I got a lot out of the esoteria chapter of On Peak Rock, but that was mainly because I could say that I'd climbed the only route in the book with a skull and crossbones instead of stars!
In reply to davidbeynon:

Heavens, yes. We need a guide to introduce beginners to the real delights of climbing.

Make sure you visit Lester Mill quarry. In this sense, it's a terrific place.

T.
 pneame 03 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I found this account of the successful 1978 attempt quite inspiring: http://members.madasafish.com/~exmoorwalker/page100.html

Not for those lacking fortitude, nimble thinking and/or the ability to swim in dire conditions. I'm glad i'm too far away to be tempted!
James Jackson 03 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I too went through a phase of putting up somewhat questionable routes (to this day I'm proud of the entry in the mendipclimb.org.uk FAQ that refers to my routes...) - I definitely think there's a market!
 jonnie3430 03 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Some of these may help, they came from a similar forum post; http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=673
OP d_b 03 Sep 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

Thanks for that. I have climbed a couple of them but there are lots of new routes to go at in my grade range.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...