UKC

Getting a key cut, advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 03 Sep 2016

I don't have a key for the five lever lock on my garage door. Is it possible to get a locksmith to create one or do I need to buy a new lock. If it's possible, will it be cheaper?
 Dax H 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I don't know what a locksmith will charge but with the call-out fee etc it's bound to be a lot more than a new lock.
 markAut 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

If you can take it off and get it to the shop they may be able to get a key made for it. Would more than likely be cheaper to get a brand new lock with several keys.
If the screws are not badly rusted, diy removal and replacement of a lock is usually relatively straight forward.
 Yanis Nayu 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Squirt some expanding foam into the lock, wait half and hour, then simply remove it and hey presto, a new key for a fraction of the price of a new lock.
 elsewhere 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
Is it a euro cylinder lock like these http://www.screwfix.com/c/security-ironmongery/euro-cylinders/cat810288 ?

They're easily replaced if you can extract the old one and measure the overall length and position of the cam mechanism.

However you do need 3 hands to reassemble the cylinder lock and springs into the door mechanism - take photos when you open it up.

Indy 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Recently found it was cheaper to replace a lock (low security) than have 3 keys cut for the existing one.
OP Postmanpat 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Thanks all, I managed to get a replacement lock at a decent price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...