UKC

Abalakov

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nation1 04 Sep 2016
Hi can anyone tell me who makes this type of threader and where I can purchase one from... Cheers

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1935405/What-is-this
 smuffy 04 Sep 2016
In reply to nation1:

I wouldn't use that type of threader, there are far better versions on the market. If you do decide to our with his version then do not keep it on your harness as the hook can protrude from the outer sheath and get snagged on your trousers. This happened to me mid-route in Norway a couple of years ago creating a few heart stopping moments. My trousers had reinforced lower legs to protect from crampons but the hook went straight in and wouldn't come out so I'm trying to climb bent over. Eventually had to rip the trousers to get it out.
 galpinos 04 Sep 2016
In reply to nation1:

Decathlon? They call it an Abolokov Hook I believe?
 Dell 04 Sep 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Abolokov? Isnt that what happens when a Russian suffers an unfortunate climbing accident?
 wilkie14c 05 Sep 2016
In reply to nation1:

Exact same one for sale on my premier post gear clear out
In reply to nation1:
Grivel Candela is very good, it has a built in blade to cut your cord and will also clear ice out of an ice screw.

http://www.urbanrock.com/candela
Post edited at 16:10
 gear boy 16 Sep 2016
In reply to nation1:

It is a Simond Abalakov threader, Probably found in decathlon as I think they own the company now
 Cheese Monkey 16 Sep 2016
In reply to nation1:

Recon a coat hanger would do the trick
In reply to nation1:

Having used a wide variety of threaders over the year I cannot recommend this style enough. I got mine in Snell Sports, Chamonix, but think - as others have suggested - they're also available in Decathlon.

Whilst I can see where smuffy is coming from, when it comes to performance these are way, way ahead of the game. You'll just have to think of a cunning way to prevent snagging (i.e. make sure the rubber retainers is over the hook before you set off on a pitch or it's in your bag en-route, then out of the descent etc...).

I have previously used to have a Grivel Candela, but not only was it difficult to use - it also broke during use.
 David Barlow 16 Sep 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I agree. We had a few different types in Greenland recently and my one of these became the preferred one by everyone.
 damowilk 16 Sep 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Having used this type and the Grivel Candela, I just about prefer the candela. Both have their downsides: I've also broken a Candela, but in transit, not use, so more careful about storing it. I've never struggled with the candela in its actual use, but I tend to first thread through one of the really skinny 6mm dynema slings which always works well. My main reason for liking the candela, is the use I put it to much more than actual v-threading, de-coring screws quickly with it still attached to my harness.
The main reason I didn't like the OP one, was the hook cover always seemed to pull up leaving the hook to snag on trousers. In fairness, an annoyance of the candela is that after a while the retention clip for its hook seems to loosen and let it fall down, but I've never had it snag on trousers.
Maybe there's room for a new product that combines the best of both, with none of the foibles.
 alasdair19 17 Sep 2016
In reply to nation1:

I have one mountain equipment Co op in Canada imho it definitely needs some way to stop it snagging better than covering the end in gaffer tape!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...