UKC

Recommend an all purpose bike maintenance spray

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 04 Sep 2016
As the title says what is the consensus on an all purpose maintenance spray for chains and gears?

Suitable for mtn bike and children's bikes going on dedicated off road cycle tracks.

Bikes are always hosed down immediately after use or with an application of Muc Off if required.

Not looking for crazy high end products suitable for peloton just an all rounder.

Thanks in advance.
 gethin_allen 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

I'm not sure such a product exits, not one that's effective anyway.
Low end bikes and kids bikes often require better looking after that high end stuff because the materials used and less corrosion resistant.
A can of gt85 or similar for water dispersion and cleaning and a general purpose lube like finish line multi purpose should cover most bases.
 twoshoes 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:
Something like GT85 or Muc-off's alternative (MO94?) is good for spraying on cables, chains and so forth to stop them rusting after washing, but they're all too light to use as a lube whilst riding (if that's what you're after). You'll not really find anything in a bike shop that'll do that. There may be a heavier spray for motorbike chains, but that'll make a right mess of your cables and probably be too grimy for bicycle chains. You're best off sticking with a can of GT85 and some proper chain lube.
OP TMM 04 Sep 2016
In reply to all:

Thanks for the replies. have been using Muc Off MO94 for while and it's been fine, just interested in what others are using and if I am missing a trick.
 The Potato 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

There's schottoiler ultimate bike solution that's a pretty decent one
 galpinos 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

GT85 and multi purpose lube is all I use. Been fine for my punter level intermittent MB use.
 balmybaldwin 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

Muck off and the like combined with a hose pipe is probably the worst thing you could do for a bike. It strips all the grease out of bearings and without a proper grease gun you are very unlikely to be able to replace it properly.

Warm soapy water in a bucket with a sponge is a much better bet.

As others have said gt85 for water dispersal, and a good chain lube, lithium grease for cables should do you ok
 GrahamD 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

I've never found GT85 to be a problem as chain lube personally.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Muck off and the like combined with a hose pipe is probably the worst thing you could do for a bike. It strips all the grease out of bearings and without a proper grease gun you are very unlikely to be able to replace it properly.

> Warm soapy water in a bucket with a sponge is a much better bet.

My LBS mentioned to me that pressurised water can get forced in past seals so never to use a hose with any real pressure when cleaning and definitely not a pressure washer! I assume the likes of muc off plus hose makes it even worse.

twoshoes 04 Sep 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> Muck off and the like combined with a hose pipe is probably the worst thing you could do for a bike.
Don't use a high-power hose and you'll be fine. And if you do, just don't point it at anything with bearings.

> As others have said gt85 for water dispersal, and a good chain lube, lithium grease for cables should do you ok
I'd personally not grease cables (although I know people who do). Certainly not more than the thinnest of thin applications. I tried it a few times but it quickly attracted grit and gunked everything up. I'm pretty sure most modern outers have a plastic inner and thus don't need it anyway. Not saying it's 'wrong', just unnecessary and more likely to cause problems than solve them.

"I've never found GT85 to be a problem as chain lube personally."
It's not technically a lube and will wear off instantly. Might not be noticeable if you're out in the pouring rain or like the feel of dry chains.
Post edited at 12:45
 Cheese Monkey 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

3in1. Been using it (sparingly) for years and none of my bikes have fallen apart
 Dax H 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

Your fine using the hose on the bike, just don't restrict the flow with a nozzle and don't direct it at any bearings or cable connections.
A pressure wash is fine too as long as you set it to a fan spray and don't hold it close.
They tell you not to because people will run it up close and directly on seals etc and the power will force the water past the seals, a little care and it's fine.

The best option though is a bucket sponge and a brush or 2, it gets you up close and personal to clean it and you will notice developing problems and nip them in the bud.
 jonnie3430 04 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

Finish line wet lube, not the spray though, better to get it where you want than all over the place.
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

> 3in1. Been using it (sparingly) for years and none of my bikes have fallen apart

That doesn't make it the best thing to use though.
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Best thing for me

If you haven't ever used anything else how would you know?

When did I say that?

I have used all sorts and come to the conclusion that its all lube, and in my experience it all does the same thing no matter what the bollocks on the tin says. 3in1 does nearly everything so I dont need to have a shelf full of pointless different lubes. I will soon stop using it soon and experiment with old engine oil.
 GrahamD 04 Sep 2016
In reply to twoshoes:

GT85 does have lubricant. Seems to work for me
 Yanis Nayu 04 Sep 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

I use it on brake calipers, mechs etc, but a proper bike lube on the chain.

One of the lads from global cycle network cleans and lubes his bike with wd40. I think the key is to use it often.
 JohnnyW 04 Sep 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> I've never found GT85 to be a problem as chain lube personally.

Ditto. Used it for years, including a Lejog and a good few sportives, let alone all the training. Works fine.
In reply to JohnnyW:

Yeh GT85 is what we were mandated to use at the bike shop I used to work at. No complaints.
 LastBoyScout 05 Sep 2016

> Yeh GT85 is what we were mandated to use at the bike shop I used to work at. No complaints.

My local bike shop, on the other hand, would tell you to put your can of GT85 straight in the bin and use some proper bike lubes.

I do use it, sparingly, on mechs and other places where it's impossible to take them apart and grease (shifters, for example), but otherwise I use Finish Line chain lubes and various greases.
 Cheese Monkey 05 Sep 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

No such thing as a 'proper' bike lube its just lube... Sure they may have worked out some fancy formula and applied marketing wankers to it but in real life in my experience they all work exactly the same way. Don't put too much on, keep it clean, maintain regular. Try it maybe you'll see and save yourself a few quid

Rubbish. I reguarly ride long Audaxes, 600km plus. There are some lubes and especially the likes of GT85 and WD40 that won't last a morning in the wet and there are other wet lubes I've used that are still doing there job after several back to back wet 300km days.

My experience is that 3in1 is great for everything on my stuff and gt85 was the lube of choice in a bike shop I worked for. Your experience may differ, don't really care, just trying to help people not get ripped off. If you got a problem with that, you can probably guess what to do with it.
Nice chat bye

Oh dear! Giving bad advice doesn't really help people 'not get ripped off'. we're talking about bike lubes that cost a few quid. Go and ride 100 wet miles plus with GT85 on your chain and see how it has a nice thin coat of rust once it's dried out.
Not bad advice. I don't use gt85 anyway. No one ever came back with a rusty chain. Good on you for believing the hype and having spare cash to spend on it. You must be pleased. I will continue to save money and have a well maintained well lubricated bike that lasts.

Ps- I will let you know the results of old engine oil experiments. Essentially free lube! Mad not to.
Post edited at 13:01
 GrahamD 05 Sep 2016

> There are some lubes and especially the likes of GT85 and WD40

WD 40 doesn't have any lubrication,GT 85 does. They are not equivalent
In reply to GrahamD:

I didn't say they were. But they will both wash of pretty quickly if the weather's bad.

Go and ride a chain lubed with old engine oil in a dry dusty environment like Southern Spain or Majorca or even dry 'farm' lanes in England in the summer and you'll end up with a gritty chain as all the dust sticks to it. Use a decent dry lube and you'll have a nice clean chain at the end of the day.
I think you actually know that there are various types of lube that work better or worse in certain conditions but you're just too tight to admit it so dismiss and belittle people by calling them 'marketing wankers' and refer to 'Hype'. If you're happy with what you use then that's great but your assumptions about 'all lubes being the same' are plain wrong.

Am I really arguing about bike lubes?

Like I keep saying, but you dont listen/dont read, IN MY EXPERIENCE all lubes do the same thing - lubricate. With proper maintenance there is no real world difference to me. Why would I want to belittle anyone? Just putting across my view.

Your experience must be very limited.
 ChrisJD 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> My LBS mentioned to me that pressurised water can get forced in past seals so never to use a hose with any real pressure when cleaning and definitely not a pressure washer! I assume the likes of muc off plus hose makes it even worse.

Concerns over pressure washers are overstated IMO if you use bit of common sense. We use a cold water jet wash on all our mountain bikes, no noticeable consequences issues with hubs, headsets, bottom brackets or suspension. Dirt/grit paste is the bike's enemy, far more than water.

Drying the bike is the key and using a compressor air line to blow out water from the nooks and crannies. We use Auto Glym Silicone Spray (tip from a DH Pro mechanic) as a general lube (including spraying the frames - stops the dirt sticking in the first place) and its great for fork stanchions; just keep it away from your disks
In reply to ChrisJD:
Thanks. I assumed that, and occasionally I use a pressure washer on my bike !

Same as years ago car garages said never to use pressure washer. It was their get out clause if there was any paintwork problem or something that could in theory be blamed on pressure washing.

LBS taking the safe approach as no doubt someone he sold a bike to ruined it by pressure washing!
 Siward 05 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

This:

https://www.evanscycles.com/weldtite-tf2-teflon-lube-400ml-spray-00103488

Is like GT85 but has more teflon in it and is therefore better as a lube.

Or so I've heard....
 ChrisJD 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> LBS taking the safe approach as no doubt someone he sold a bike to ruined it by pressure washing!

Nothing is fool-proof to a suitably qualified fool.
 Timmd 05 Sep 2016

> My experience is that 3in1 is great for everything on my stuff and gt85 was the lube of choice in a bike shop I worked for. Your experience may differ, don't really care, just trying to help people not get ripped off. If you got a problem with that, you can probably guess what to do with it.

> Nice chat bye

Hello cheery chap. My 2p's worth is to use products by Green Oil, because they're eco friendly, and more eco friendly than most/all others.

Their wet chain lube is awesome too (I agree about a lube being a lube to a large degree - but being greener has got to be good).
 Timmd 05 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:

http://www.green-oil.net/

BUY THESE HERE PEOPLE'S PRODUCTS

lcb

In reply to Timmd:

Just use veg oil mate
 gethin_allen 05 Sep 2016

Not really sure why you keep pushing the use of 3 in 1 when it will cost you almost the same as a proper lube.
I wouldn't bother with any of the silly team sky sponsored stuff but a bottle of finish line is only £3 from a reasonable shop so it's not going to bankrupt anyone.
 Timmd 05 Sep 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Finish Line has PTFE in it though, which is carcinogenic in it's production, and has other problems related to it.

Green Oil products are PTFE free - and other good things.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> Finish Line has PTFE in it though, which is carcinogenic in it's production, and has other problems related to it.

I don't think any of those claims about its toxicity have stuck though.

The Potato 06 Sep 2016
In reply to TMM:
In addition to my previous suggestion of Scottoiler ultimate which seems to have been buried under pointless arguing, Ill add White lightning bike lube - cleans and lubricates quite handy as a quick clean if you are on holiday etc, apply and wipe off with a cloth/tissue ideally to remove the muck.
Personally I just hose down, give it a shake / bounce to knock off most of the water, and apply scottoiler to all moving parts. I sometimes apply a more specific lube to certain parts such as the gear mech and jockey wheels, but certainly not every ride. I have no figures to say that this is the best method, but it works ok for me.
I do use gt85 or wd40 when cleaning out bearings to dissolve the previous grease, or if my chain is properly gummed up. I have used muc off and fenwicks spray cleaner before but I dont really see the benefit, although i keep some handy for when I want to clean a component really thoroughly such as the crankset or derailleur/mech off the bike as I wouldnt want to get it in to the bottom bracket or wheel bearings.
Post edited at 13:06
In reply to Pesda potato:
> (In reply to TMM) In addition to my previous suggestion of Scottoiler ultimate which seems to have been buried under pointless arguing,

Agree ... Scottoiler UBS is the perfect all round spray. It's kept my commuting bikes running pretty smoothly through a couple of winters between weekly or fortnightly proper cleaning and re-lubbing

One thing that I surprised about is that no one has yet mentioned that the only part of the chain that need lubbing are the rollers. Painstacking as it is, whatever (liquid)lube you use, lube each roller and then wipe the excess off. That way you prevent the chain just become a gunk magnet.
 The Potato 06 Sep 2016
In reply to exiled_northerner:

thats right, just run the chain through a rag, should do the job.
 drsdave 01 Oct 2016
In reply to TMM:

There isn't one if you want to clean the bike properly.
 Dave the Rave 01 Oct 2016
In reply to TMM:

Plus Gas.
 drsdave 01 Oct 2016
In reply to TMM:

In fact having read through many of these replies and regarding one or two people's advice, I wouldn't give my bike to them for cleaning. As a cyclist maintaining the moving bike parts is essential. Often bikes cost lots of cash and to be honest, only the lazy can't be bothered to,take care of their machines.
My advice if you want it, is to type into Google GNN cycling website and search their videos, those guys know all their is to about bikes and their vids are well made with great advice and tips.
 Yanis Nayu 01 Oct 2016
In reply to drsdave:

GCN vids are great, especially the funny ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...