UKC

Scafell conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone been up there recently? How saturated is the giant sponge on the top? Are the seepage lines running? Is anything viable?
It's probably had less of a soaking than some years so thinking of chancing it and heading up there, but if anyone can say for sure it's a bad idea, might think again. I've taken the gear for that walk before...
 Jim 1003 04 Sep 2016
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:
I doubt very much Scafell crags will be dry tomorrow....even Pike's might be wet
Post edited at 18:58
 Mark Eddy 04 Sep 2016

Whilst today has been quite sunny, yesterday was a complete washout, with persistently heavy rain on the Scafells. It'll be wet up there.
Sorry, I should clarify. I don't mean like today or tomorrow; I mean like this month/year.
Obviously I'm not gonna walk up there in a downpour but the moss on top stores a lot of water in a wet year and dribbles it out continuously.
How's the seepage looking? Anyone reached out and touched one of the permawet routes?
Post edited at 21:23
 Mark Eddy 04 Sep 2016

Well, there's been a few scenes similar to this so far this year (the photo is of Langdale, but Scafell was the same / wetter:
https://www.facebook.com/ScafellPikeAscents/photos/pcb.1268211426544399/126...

I'm hopeful for a drier September too and the chance of a day or two on Scafell.
 petegunn 05 Sep 2016

Back in June Scafell was heaving, teams queuing for routes! All the classics being climbed.

So hopefully the dry start to the summer might be good for a dry spell later on.

I had a few days up on Gable last year very late on, 1st October and it was bone dry.
 Jim 1003 07 Sep 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Might be dry Friday looking at the weather....
 Jim 1003 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Raining heavily today, so forget the above.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...