UKC

Wheeled duffels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 05 Sep 2016
Anyone got one?

Yes, yes I know, mtfu and carry your bag you wimp. Wheeled bags are for golfers .

Well happy to be a wimp. The seem to range from the decathlon one which looks a bit crap but is light right through to the Patagonia and north face ones that look absolutely bomb proof if a little garish and certainly pricey at 200-220 quid. They also weigh 4kg.

The ME ones look a little flimsy but are cheapish (100). 4.5kg too.

Not sure whether to go for an 80liter one or just get s massive 100-120 litre one. Reckon 80liter is enough for a big climbing trip? There is not alot of difference price wise.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Si
 s.scott 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

Yea. Don't bother and carry your luggage.

Can't stand all those arses with wheeled luggage that go out of their way to trip me up.
 d_b 05 Sep 2016
In reply to s.scott:

Have you tried looking where you are going?
OP snoop6060 05 Sep 2016
In reply to s.scott:

Don't derail my thread. Pretty please. Start your own thread if you want to rant about stuff .

d_b 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

My wife has a (non wheeled) ME duffel. While it's not as solid as the TNF duffels it has held together for several years worth of trips without any obvious wear so you might do better than you expect.
 James Malloch 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

My girlfriend got the ME one recently (think it was a medium sized one - 80 litre perhaps). It seems okay and fit plenty in, especially when combined it with a normal rucksack which can be used as hand luggage (and climbing bag whilst on the trip).

The thing I don't like about the ME ones is that they don't have rucksack straps. It depends where you're going, and how far you need to move the bag, but unless it's nice smooth terrain then the wheels aren't ideal.

Some of the other brands combine the rucksack/wheeled versions which I would prefer to go for. Carrying duffels is awkward without the straps, in my experience anyway.

I've got the non-wheeled version from Go-outdoors, no idea if they still sell them or do a wheeled version but it was cheap and seems bomb-proof. Not sure about the Quecha (decathlon) versions, but I had a look at them in Chamonix and they looked okay.
 damowilk 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

I've got a Berghaus wheeled duffle. Had it probably 10yrs, so not sure if they still do it, but I like it a lot. I wouldn't take it on all trips, but it's a lot easier round developed countries than a non-wheeled one. It's solid and durable. Not sure exact weight but not too much.
 John Rowlands 05 Sep 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

The college where I studied arboriculture used a Quecha duffel bag to store and carry tree climbing spikes, held up and did the job.
 Becky E 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

Berghaus Mule is pretty good. Available in 80 & 100 litres. The outer fabric doesn't appear as robust as TNF and ME use but it hasn't been a problem.
 Doug 05 Sep 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

I've had a large Decathlon duffel (120 L ?, no wheels) for a few years now & it seems to be surviving well so far and they are much cheaper than some of the other brands
 radar 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Doug:
I have quite a few duffels of differing sizes and brands. I've got TNFand Patagonia - very little in it between the two quality wise. both have straps that become rucsac straps. Both have compression straps, Patagonia's are internal so possibly less to snag whilst getting manhandled. I have used a Gelert copy of TNF bag, okay for light occasional use, but if you know it is going to have a hard life then go for the more expensive brands as they are much more rugged.

I have a wheeled Patagonia bag. I use it when I take my tribe on holiday. I can fit a week's worth of clothes for myself and my 4 boys in (there's just the 5 of us, and most of the heavy carrying is left to me) in a 90litre wheeled back and a 40litre duffel(which sits on top of the wheeled duffel).

It's been thrown around quite a few baggage trolleys, trains, been on about 8 flights, and still looks like new after 4 years of service.

Yes, I used to be in the mtfu club, but a spinal injury (which is now much more stable) led me down the wheeled path. Now I am converted. (But not wheeled cabin baggage!)

Can heartily recommend.

If you want a Patagonia one look for the end of season sales on their website, as long as you aren't too fussy about colour you can sometimes get 50% discount direct from Patagonia.

If you are looking at one of the more expensive duffels, some have replaceable wheels ( taking standard skate wheels). Pretty sure mine does, but no worries, as with all Patagonia kit it has a lifetime guarantee (which I've used on an old jacket and is exemplary).
Post edited at 15:28
 radar 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

At airports I've seen quite a few black TNF bags, always black ones. So don't buy black.
 wbo 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060: For what? Just to go on airplanes, trains and so on. Most of the time I prefer a rigid suitcase.

GridNorth 05 Sep 2016
In reply to wbo:
> For what? Just to go on airplanes, trains and so on. Most of the time I prefer a rigid suitcase.

You would struggle to carry that on the back of a scooter somewhere like Kalymnos for example. Duffle is the way to go for climbing trips and they do compress down if necessary. Not sure about wheelies, they use up half your baggage weight allowance

Al
Post edited at 15:47
cb294 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

TNF, and nothing else, completely bomb and, more importantly, baggage handler proof.

Also, the more garish the colour, the better (mine are screaming blue), much easier to spot on the baggage carousel!

CB
 Jim Walton 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

I've got a
Lowe Alpine 90ltr standard Duffel
DMM 100ltr Duffel
Osprey 40ltr Duffel

None of them have wheels as (Like All says above) they take up too much volume in the bag. The Lowe Alpine one is at least 15yrs old and has bean around the world, It is a strong cordora fabric (non plasticy) with a zip which runs from one end to the other. 2 carry handles, rucksack straps and grab handles at either end. The rucksack straps are thin and fold away into pocket on the base. Not brilliant for carrying on the back but I've dragged it miles through airports. The carry handle are also quite short so its difficult to thread one arm through handles and throw over the shoulder. It's jet black on the inside and out so difficult to find things inside. It has however never let me down, never had a bust zip, never had a hole in it and i'd trust it not to explode on me.

The DMM duffel is relatively new to me being only couple years old. Good padded shoulder straps that are easily removed, The carry handles are long enough for you to throw one arm through and flick it over your shoulder. U shaped zip which allows easy access to the contents. However the lid opens on the short side (as opposed to the long side like most other duffels) this makes it a bit of an arse to fold out of the way.. Inside it's bright yellow which does make things easier to find. The fabric is not as thick as the Lowe Alpine one but it hasn't been damaged yet and it's been through a few airports. It has compression straps on the outside but I really don't see the point.

The little Osprey Duffel is my carry on case and it's absolutely brilliant. Sized to meet the maximum size allowance by all Aircraft. It's just the right size. The carry handles double up as rucksack straps and do both jobs really well. It has some discrete side pockets and a padded lid pocket for iPad etc. The end pocket has been designed suck that even if the main compartment is stuffed to the gunnels you've still got easy access to the end pocket. It also folds away into itself but i'm not sure of the use for this yet. It's made of hard wearing material and it's the best travel bag anyone could need. Also looks professional too if you are doing an overnighter with work. It's called the Transporter 40.
m0unt41n 05 Sep 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

I've a Mountain Hardware one which is pretty bomb proof and well thought out EXCEPT for the fact that when stood up like a normal case it usually falls over because the end if just a duffle, not a rigid surface at right angles to the base.

I have ended up just using my TNF duffles and the ruckstrap type straps.

A wheeled duffle is a compromise between a lightweight squashable duffle and a wheeled suitcase. So far everything I have seen means you end up with too much of a compromise to make it worthwhile.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...