UKC

Jim the washing machine salesman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 05 Sep 2016

I know, I know, it's really none of our business what activities people , even politicians, like to get up to with other consenting adults. But I think with Keith Vaz we can make a little exception, can't we? Who can resist a little chuckle that the publicity seeking slimeball has become the victim of the publicity he craves? I guess I must be a bad person.....
 Big Ger 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

"We need to get this party started".

I prefer Pink's version.
 Timmd 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I'm not sure that all publicity is the same?
OP Postmanpat 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm not sure that all publicity is the same?

As he has just discovered.
 MG 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Odious, I think is the term. His wiki entry is quite breathtaking - just one long list of scandals and examples of dubious behaviour, starting with supporting the Rushdie fatwa.
 spartacus 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Unbelievable that someone on public life can risk so much and get caught so easily.

It never ceases to amaze me how 'sex drive' can be so hard to control. Over the years it has wrecked careers, marriages, driven serial killers. It seems all self preservation goes out of the window although it's probibly a gradual process.
Rigid Raider 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Yes it is surprising but I think it's more to do with an inflated idea of their own infallibility.
In reply to Postmanpat:

The DT reports:
"Mr Vaz was last night said to be determined to prove his innocence. A friend claimed the two prostitutes had actually been painters who had come to redecorate a new flat he had bought close to his family home in Stanmore, Middlesex. "

Rightyho! That explains it then......

KevinD 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Reasonable enough. Painters and prostitutes are fairly close together so he must have just overshot when looking in the classified ads.
Must have been a rather confused conversation booking them though.

I am more curious about the drug claims since that is something he might have been hypocritical about.
 dek 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> The DT reports:

> Rightyho! That explains it then......

Siemens, Big Loader?
 Yanis Nayu 05 Sep 2016
In reply to dek:

> Siemens, Big Loader?

No, he bent over and got a Hotpoint.
 dek 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> No, he bent over and got a Hotpoint.

Ah, what else would a Miele mouthed Cnut choose, a Smeg?
 Yanis Nayu 05 Sep 2016
In reply to dek:

He probably give it a spin.

I think we've rinsed him enough now. I feel drained.
 toad 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

e-neff's,e-neff?

My washing machine is made by siemens, but I cant think of any bad puns for that...
 Yanis Nayu 05 Sep 2016
In reply to toad:

I bet you can't...
 spartacus 05 Sep 2016
In reply to dek:
It was probably a Siemens, you could see it all over his face. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth, what a pain in the arse.
He should have used Smeg it would have got him out of what has been a sticky passage.
Post edited at 12:51
 Yanis Nayu 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Aztec Bar:

> It was probably a Siemens, you could see it all over his face. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth, what a pain in the arse.

Bosch!
 lummox 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Good to see this is arousing all you Tory boys.

Somethings never change : )
 FactorXXX 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

"Mr Vaz was last night said to be determined to prove his innocence. A friend claimed the two prostitutes had actually been painters who had come to redecorate a new flat he had bought close to his family home in Stanmore, Middlesex."

I assume they entered his premises via the tradesman's entrance?
In reply to FactorXXX:

Exactly my reservations. Did he allow EU migrants in through his backdoor?
In reply to lummox:

In fairness, this is usually the realm of aroused lefties giving stick to the ubiquitous married tory caught in a park with a boy and an orange in his mouth etc etc. It's a refreshing change to see it happen to the other side. Complimented with the added hypocrisy that the left does so well
 JEF 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I like to see any politician squirm, I hold the lot in utter contempt.
The fact that this time it's Vaz just adds to the fun.
 Pedro50 05 Sep 2016
In reply to JEF:

I'm embarrassed to say I believe he attended the same school as me.
 FactorXXX 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

I'm embarrassed to say I believe he attended the same school as me.

Was he Head Boy?
Clauso 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Washing machines?... It's gonna need a proper spin cycle to remove these stains.
 Pete Pozman 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

This is a lovely thread isn't it?
 Ridge 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> This is a lovely thread isn't it?

It is somewhat puerile...

...but it's that odious, smug, slimy, supercilious twunt Keith 'did you not think this was a grave error of judgement?' Vaz.

Has anyone done the Vazeline comment yet?
 John_Hat 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Sorry to be boring and all that, but I still think it's none of our business what politicians get up to with other consenting adults EVEN if it's Keith Vaz.....
Clauso 05 Sep 2016
In reply to John_Hat:

His judgement is obviously shite. He isn't fit to chair the Home Affairs Committee. Best that he gets booted out, to spend more time without his family.
 Big Ger 05 Sep 2016
In reply to JEF:

> I like to see any politician squirm, I hold the lot in utter contempt.

Given the nature of the event, I'd hate to have seen Vaz when he was squirming.

In reply to John_Hat:

> Sorry to be boring and all that, but I still think it's none of our business what politicians get up to with other consenting adults EVEN if it's Keith Vaz.....

You maybe right, but given his position heading the committee reviewing prostitution and drugs policy I think that in this case it is not unreasonable. I also rather suspect that they have a lot of other stuff on him and that this was the equivalent of doing Al Capone for tax evasion.
In reply to Ridge:Has anyone done the Vazeline comment yet? Here you go. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrgElXXWEAAFdD4.jpg

Timmd 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
> You maybe right, but given his position heading the committee reviewing prostitution and drugs policy I think that in this case it is not unreasonable. I also rather suspect that they have a lot of other stuff on him and that this was the equivalent of doing Al Capone for tax evasion.

Why should any involvement with either mean he shouldn't be somebody involved in deciding on policy?

'You can only decide on policy if you've no personal involvement with the matter being decided upon... then you won't have any life experience to erm...er...' ?

Just a thought.
Post edited at 00:43
 Timmd 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
At heart, I'm only interested in the ability of politicians to (in the long term) make wise decisions about running the country, and what they do in their personal lives doesn't matter to me. People can have curious disconnects between their personal and professional lives, so that they don't quite correlate when it comes to common sense or having sound judgement. I don't care about any affairs or their sex lives, or any past use of drugs, not when they're as human as the rest of us.

Not meaning Kieth Vaz specifically, but we might end up with capable people not being brought down by skeletons in their closet/things they did in their youth, if what MP's did while at work was all that really mattered.
Post edited at 00:59
Clauso 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> At heart, I'm only interested in the ability of politicians to (in the long term) make wise decisions about running the country, and what they do in their personal lives doesn't matter to me.

You're bonkers.

If you can't appreciate that his position to call people to account - as chair of Home Affairs - is irrevocably compromised then, I'll repeat; you're bonkers.

What next? Armstrong as head of WADA? Dig Saville up, and let him head NSPCC?... Blair for Middle East Peace Envoy, maybe?

Timmd 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Clauso:
I just don't see why it's relevant to examining tax arrangements, or looking at what people do with a business once they've bought it, before leaving it bankrupt and and the pensions of it's staff in the lurch.

It's not that I can't see why he's compromised when it comes to public perception and his reputation, but I don't see it as having much to do with what Home Affairs usually grills people for, which is generally misconduct in business and ethics relating to that.
Post edited at 01:05
Clauso 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Credibility...
 Timmd 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> Credibility...

Probably I just sometimes think it can be a flawed concept (in being about perception in part), but I do get it being about credibility.
Clauso 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Politicians must be credible. It's fundamental... Vaz has a history of stretching it and, it seems, it's caught up with him.

... Washing machines, my arse.
 felt 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Clauso:

You'd need a drill press or something for that, not washing.
 FactorXXX 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I'm only interested in the ability of politicians to (in the long term) make wise decisions about running the country, and what they do in their personal lives doesn't matter to me.

Vaz covertly hired prostitutes by using a false identity and then tried to cover it up by saying that they were electricians, etc.
Replace the Sunday Mirror with a party with other interests and it's not hard to see why Vaz should resign from his current role.
OP Postmanpat 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> It's not that I can't see why he's compromised when it comes to public perception and his reputation, but I don't see it as having much to do with what Home Affairs usually grills people for, which is generally misconduct in business and ethics relating to that.
>
Well, that and reviewing the prostitution and drug laws....

In reply to Postmanpat:
Probably the safest thing is to just assume that all male MPs are shagging everything in sight and doing coke. That way you won't be shocked when they get caught.

Ideally our representatives should be able to be honest about their activities but today if someone admits they are into hookers or poppers or weed they'll never get on the committee that influences policy on those things which would pretty much hand the decisions over to puritans like Theresa May.
Post edited at 10:42
 FactorXXX 06 Sep 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Ideally our representatives should be able to be honest about their activities but today if someone admits they are into hookers or poppers or weed they'll never get on the committee that influences policy on those things which would pretty much hand the decisions over to puritans like Theresa May.

I'm now just imagining what sort of sordid activities Theresa May gets up to behind closed doors.
In fact, I might be imagining a bit too much...
 johnjohn 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

"What about the Prostitution Bill?"

"Pay it!"

Ann S 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
It appears HAC has just undergone a vazectomy.
Post edited at 14:00
 off-duty 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

The home affairs committee has carried out a number of critical enquiries etc on policing ethics, leadership diversity etc.

I'd like to explain how this makes a mockery of the committee but I'm just off out to pay for a couple of rent boys and take a load of poppers.
 John_Hat 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> You maybe right, but given his position heading the committee reviewing prostitution and drugs policy I think that in this case it is not unreasonable. I also rather suspect that they have a lot of other stuff on him and that this was the equivalent of doing Al Capone for tax evasion.

Hmmn. As other people have said, who is best to be reviewing the prostitution and drugs policy, some religious nutjob who thinks both prostitution and drugs are the spawn of satan or someone who has, shall we say, some direct experience?

I'm not suggesting that drugs policy should be decided by someone who has been stoned since the 1960s, or prostitution policy by a pimp, but a middle ground appears sensible, and insitisting on an untouched virgin who has no experience of either appears a little excessive.

Quite apart from it being none of my business how a man spends his free time. His family's business, yes, but not mine.

ThunderCat 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> The DT reports:

> "Mr Vaz was last night said to be determined to prove his innocence. A friend claimed the two prostitutes had actually been painters who had come to redecorate a new flat he had bought close to his family home in Stanmore, Middlesex. "

> Rightyho! That explains it then......

youtube.com/watch?v=FafVtHWn4X8&

Gone for good 06 Sep 2016
In reply to John_Hat:

> Quite apart from it being none of my business how a man spends his free time. His family's business, yes, but not mine.

When his salary is paid for by the public purse then it is very much our business. He is after all a public servant and people in glass houses etc etc.
 John_Hat 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Gone for good:
> When his salary is paid for by the public purse then it is very much our business. He is after all a public servant and people in glass houses etc etc.

I strongly disagree. He has a job, which is paid for by the public purse. How he performs that job is our business, to an extent.

What he does in his spare time with other consenting adults is not our business.

It is unfortunately the case that some people think that because an MP is paid for by the public we have the right to dictate their every movement. Strangely we don't think that, for example, a nurse or dustman doesn't have the right to private time. Odd, isn't it.
Post edited at 23:03
Gone for good 06 Sep 2016
In reply to John_Hat:

Well that's comparing apples and oranges.

Keith Vaz should expect to stand up to public scrutiny in every respect. He is voted into public office by the general electorate in the area he has chosen to represent.
If he chooses to present himself as an honest hardworking family man and then fails to live up to that image then it is right and proper for him to resign from his position as chairman of the home affairs committee. Even more so given his pompous arrogant holier than thou attitude towards those who get called in front of the committee.
 Co1in H 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat: Keith Vaz eline. A man to look up to!

In reply to John_Hat:

> Hmmn. As other people have said, who is best to be reviewing the prostitution and drugs policy, some religious nutjob who thinks both prostitution and drugs are the spawn of satan or someone who has, shall we say, some direct experience?

Apparently Vaz was trying to make buying sex illegal. He wanted the committee to recommend the 'Swedish Model' which in itself is fairly hypocritical for someone with his proclivities. You'd have thought he'd prefer her Greek colleague.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/keith-vaz-steps-down-home-affairs-...

Chris Harris 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> Vaz has a history of stretching it

Apparently so.
 ben b 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Oddly enough, when a not entirely dissimilar argument came up about the Chair of the Commons Culture, Media, and Sport Select Committee we had to endure the usual suspects banging on about how he had done nothing illegal.

To copy and paste last time:
"I don't care what he did; I think it was inadvertent. Foolish maybe, but foolishness is a human trait and it were ever thus. I do care that he has - by his subsequent inaction - compromised the impartiality of his position".

I think much the same now (apart from it being unlikely that he had inadvertently got the rent boys and poppers in) - both Whittingdale and Vaz are entitled to a private life without press intrusion, but if their actions (proven or surmised) undermine their roles - then they have to face the music.

Sophocles suggested that losing sexual yearning is like being unchained from a lunatic: these guys just reinforce their inability to manage their lunatic - and have lost much as a result.

b

PS Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy though...
 Rob Exile Ward 09 Sep 2016
In reply to ben b:

I thought the comment 'unshackled from a maniac' was attributed to George Melly, he certainly used it.

Great phrase!
 Offwidth 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I can't help but think we get the politicians we deserve... near saints must be looking over their shoulders while sociopaths rub their hands in glee... and while I understand how it's easy to dislike politicians like Vaz, he has done a lot of good work alongside his mistakes.... hatred in such cases is nearly always completely disproportionate.

Having said all that we can't retain a chair of such a committee with issues raised like this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...