UKC

Best easy mountains in the world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 05 Sep 2016
Bit of a broad question but what (in your opinion) are the best "non technical" mountains to climb in the world?

I'm after a tick list for wimps...things with little objective danger and no exposure but that are interesting and have great views. Things that spring to mind are things like kilimanjaro, Elbrus, Toubkal, Allalinhorn etc.

These are obvious but are they "the best"...what hidden gems are there?

Thanks!
 olddirtydoggy 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

Teide in Tenerefe is fun and quite high and the Zugspitze in th German alps was great which can be cable car'd off from the top if you want a quick descent.
 wbo 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja: Glittertind isn't especially high but the views ain't bad

Trangia 05 Sep 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> the Zugspitze in th German alps was great which can be cable car'd off from the top if you want a quick descent.

It can be cable car'd up too!!
 Trangia 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

The Breithorn above Zermatt is the easiest 4,000m peak in the Alps

http://www.summitpost.org/breithorn-normal-route/961384
 DerwentDiluted 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

Illimani and Huyana Potosi are proper big hills but are very accessible and the regular routes are pretty straightforward. Definitely worth considering, possibly as big as easy gets if you factor accessibility in.
OP phja 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

Did the Breithorn a few years ago...really nice views!

Zugspitze: walk up cable car down...why can't more mountains be like that!

Hadn't thought of South America...thanks!
 jonnie3430 05 Sep 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Illimani and Huyana Potosi are proper big hills but are very accessible and the regular routes are pretty straightforward. Definitely worth considering, possibly as big as easy gets if you factor accessibility in.

Huyana potosi would have been my shout, along with condoriri and pequenyo alpamyo.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

Suilven
 Bob Aitken 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

Kosciuszko (2228m) is rather like a big Cairngorm. At least in summer it requires no more than a very straightforward walk on good tracks. It commands fine wide views, and is rich in botanical and geomorphological interest. As the highest point in mainland Australia it may also qualify as the lowest and easiest of the Seven Summits - depending on which list you choose to adopt.
 FactorXXX 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

Mount Snowdon
 DaveHK 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

I really enjoyed my day on Triglav.
 hokkyokusei 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

Nice view of Everest from Mera Peak.
 Tom Last 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

The easier of the two Ilinizas is very easy and good. Ilinizas north rather than south I think, could be the other way around. 5000m+
 cat22 05 Sep 2016
In reply to phja:

Several superb options in Washington State (US) - Mount St Helens, Mount Adams and Mount Baker, in order of increasing difficulty. All have stunning views from the summits, especially Mount St Helens where you can look down into the crater from the 1980 eruption.
In reply to Trangia:

> The Breithorn above Zermatt is the easiest 4,000m peak in the Alps

Trouble is, it's not a very good mountain (or rather, its voie normale is not very uninspiring), apart from the views.
In reply to phja:

Angel's Landing (with chains etc) in Zion National Park is very good value.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...