UKC

Tent advice please (4 person +)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon R 07 Sep 2016
I need/want a new tent that will serve as a family tent (four of us) with some level of comfort (ie ability to stand up, cooking space under cover) for holidays, but also be sufficiently light-weight that taking it into the mountains wouldn't be too much trouble.
So, since I've happily been using my Terra-Nova Voyager, and my mates Quasar for years, I look at their website.
Advice on the following please:
is the Terra Firma (7.2 kg) excessively strong for the UK, as well as being too small and too expensive?
Is the Hoolie 6 too heavy (6.8 kg) and insufficiently windproof for the real outdoors?
Is the Laser space 5 (5.4 kg) currently discounted to 633 quid any good?
thanks
Jon
 Rick Graham 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon R:

> I need/want a new tent that will serve as a family tent (four of us) with some level of comfort (ie ability to stand up, cooking space under cover) for holidays, but also be sufficiently light-weight that taking it into the mountains wouldn't be too much trouble.

When I had the same requirements, the easiest solution was two tents, one for each job.
 d_b 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

I agree. I concluded a while ago that good mountain tents and good family tents have very different requirements.
OP Jon R 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Sorry, should have added that already have a large family tent that works well with campsites that you can drive to. Looking for something a little more robust as the family is growing more adventurous.
 John Kelly 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon R:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-4-hiking-tent-4-man-grey-id_8243148.html

This worked for my family when backpacking with wife and 3 smallish kids
Robust enough for summer camping but you can't stand up in it

Post edited at 17:15
 marsbar 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon R:
Depending on the ages of your children, I might consider an alternative option of 2 X 2 man tents for mountain type use and a seperate car camping tent.

Edit
Just saw you already have a car camping tent.
Post edited at 19:31
 ben b 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon R:

See also http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=640825&v=1#x8294589