UKC

Cornwell on Le Carre'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 08 Sep 2016
Another superb special feature from the Gruaniad.

> I love writing on the hoof, in notebooks on walks, in trains and cafés, then scurrying home to pick over my booty. When I am in Hampstead there is a bench I favour on the Heath, tucked under a spreading tree and set apart from its companions, and that’s where I like to scribble. I have only ever written by hand. Arrogantly perhaps, I prefer to remain with the centuries-old tradition of unmechanized writing. The lapsed graphic artist in me actually enjoys drawing the words.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-interactive/2016/sep/03/tinker-tailor-w...

Dave Garnett 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

I love his work. Although obviously the Smiley novels are probably always going to be the most famous, it's impressive how he adapted to post-Cold War stories; Constant Gardener and A Most Wanted Man are beautifully nuanced. Just started The Night Manager after leaving a decent interval from the (brilliant) BBC version.

Obviously I was devastated not to be discreetly approached by MI5 while at his college (and Smiley's)...
 toad 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett: well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

MG 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Obviously I was devastated not to be discreetly approached by MI5 while at his college (and Smiley's)...

My uncle was "approached". Unfortunately it became rapidly apparent they actually wanted another relative of the same name - not that impressive for an intelligence agency!
 Dave Garnett 08 Sep 2016
In reply to MG:

> My uncle was "approached". Unfortunately it became rapidly apparent they actually wanted another relative of the same name - not that impressive for an intelligence agency!

The rector while I was there did have a background in intelligence but had long since retired from that and had a long career in academia. So, no connection at all, clearly.
 GridNorth 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

He is my favourite author. He once showed up at the CC hut, the Count House in Cornwall, to have some discussions about either access or birds, can't remember which. He lives near by.

Al
 Postmanpat 08 Sep 2016
In reply to MG:

> My uncle was "approached". Unfortunately it became rapidly apparent they actually wanted another relative of the same name - not that impressive for an intelligence agency!

I have two friends who were "approached". Both public school, Oxford, family links to the military/diplomatic service, and double barrelled names-does suggest a certain lack of imagination on the part of the intelligence agency!
 MG 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
> public school, Oxford, family links to the military/diplomatic service, and double barrelled names-does

They are quite broad minded actually, my uncle was Cambridge and single barrel.
Post edited at 11:38
 MG 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

On reflection, given his career, I can't be sure he wasn't recruited!!
 Bulls Crack 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

I've enjoyed many, if not most, of his books but I take it he doesn't attempt to explain why he's so bad at writing female characters? Women are usually portrayed, variously, as: weak, stupid, traitors, whores, and occasionally as goddesses..and sometimes all of these.
OP Big Ger 08 Sep 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

> He is my favourite author. He once showed up at the CC hut, the Count House in Cornwall, to have some discussions about either access or birds, can't remember which. He lives near by.

I used to walk my dog, Jake, a massive Akita, past his house, we chatted on a few occasions. Proper old school gentleman he is.
OP Big Ger 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> I've enjoyed many, if not most, of his books but I take it he doesn't attempt to explain why he's so bad at writing female characters? Women are usually portrayed, variously, as: weak, stupid, traitors, whores, and occasionally as goddesses..and sometimes all of these.

I've always found his weakness to be working class characters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...