UKC

60s to now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 08 Sep 2016
OK. I am watching The Invaders. 1967, so nearly 50 years old. I have paused an image: two main charcaters, one male, the other female, both wearing clothes that could pass as normal on the street now.

Outside the realms of high or youth fashion, has a general casual style persisted throughout the last 5/6 decades, since maybe the 50s onwards? T-shirts, jeans, boots, etc.

I don't think you could go back 50 years from 1950 and say the same thing.
 Jim Fraser 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Except that jeans are no longer 27/9d.
 ian caton 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I've never seen the need to change.
 Pete Pozman 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
You don't see many pairs of loon pants around these days.
 graeme jackson 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> You don't see many pairs of loon pants around these days.

Have you never been to Lanark?
 Andy Long 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
>

> Outside the realms of high or youth fashion, has a general casual style persisted throughout the last 5/6 decades, since maybe the 50s onwards? T-shirts, jeans, boots, etc.

>Yes. It dates from the emergence of teenagers as a distinct group. This took place in the US in the late 40s and came here in the 50s. Whilst young people had always affected minor fashion quirks as a gesture of rebellion they had generally worn the same clothes as their parents. Only in the post-war years could they afford to buy lots of stuff and marketeers were quick to pick up on this.
Post edited at 10:34
m0unt41n 09 Sep 2016
In reply to ian caton:

> I've never seen the need to change.

You don't find people trying to avoid sitting next to you then?
 Pete Pozman 09 Sep 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:
Lanark? I'm going on Sunday. I'll check it out.
Post edited at 20:15
 AP Melbourne 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> Outside the realms of high or youth fashion, has a general casual style persisted throughout the last 5/6 decades, since maybe the 50s onwards? T-shirts, jeans, boots, etc.

If I see One More young d*ckhead with his jeans around his thighs and boxers up to his nipples am going boot the foot right up his scrawny arse. Disgraceful, and nobody cares whether you're wearing CK or Mitch Dowds. This sort of behaviour is the domain of those female creatures we all adore where the tops of a G-string are on show and off they go - knowingly 'Whale-tailing', no?
Right, pub's open.
Taxi!!
 The New NickB 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Find it noticeable in the way that older people dress. When I was a lad, old men wore a shirt and tie, often a suit, if not smart trousers. Men of a similar age now (born in 1940 rather than 1910) where the first teenagers and wear jeans, unbuttoned shirts, even t-shirts trainers and other 'leisure wear'.
 wercat 10 Sep 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Is that because T shirts make an expanding waistline less visible perhaps? When I got to a certain age I started to prefer wearing shirts outside my trousers, T shirts being the obvious solution.
 AP Melbourne 10 Sep 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Absolutely Classic ,,,,,, Ta marsbar. Am not alone then? Figure the two 'dislikes' I got were from idiots with no belts on their troo who reckon they look dead cool ?
Ha!
Removed User 11 Sep 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Find it noticeable in the way that older people dress. When I was a lad, old men wore a shirt and tie, often a suit, if not smart trousers. Men of a similar age now (born in 1940 rather than 1910) where the first teenagers and wear jeans, unbuttoned shirts, even t-shirts trainers and other 'leisure wear'.

Shirts tucked into trousers defines a lot of my age group because shirts used to reach down to your knees - never got out of the habit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...