UKC

Torrevieja base- best nearby sport options?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Joe Rocket 09 Sep 2016
Hi,

Hoping for some advice on Costa Blanca Climbing. My wife and I are heading to stay in my folks place near Torrevieja on the 19th for a week. It's a family break, but I'll be fitting in a couple of days climbing in the nearby areas. I realise it's a warm time of year to climb and was hoping for advice on shaded crags, within an hour to 1:30 of the accommodation.

I'm leading S/HS outdoors, and leading 6b indoors at the moment. I've had a good explore of the UKC logbook and see Redovan, La Callosa, and Rincon de Bonanza around Orihuela. I also have the RF Costa Blanca guidebook. My missus will only be climbing a little, so less remote single pitches are the order of the day for this visit...

All advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Mark Eddy 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

Ford could be worth a look. The walk in is quite short and really nice, as is the situation of the crag and the climbing. I've only climbed on the south side, but even that may be okay as it's very high (circa 1000m above sea level). The north side will of course be cooler and is a little nearer the parking area if I remember correctly.
Joe Rocket 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks for the reply Mark...I can't find Ford anywhere in the guide or googling. Would you have a little more info? Thanks...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

> Thanks for the reply Mark...I can't find Ford anywhere in the guide or googling. Would you have a little more info? Thanks...

Try Forada,

Chris
 Mark Eddy 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

Autocorrect making a mess of things there! Yes it's Forada as Chris mentions
Joe Rocket 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

Ha! I did wonder! Thanks brilliant guys, thanks!
Joe Rocket 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

Guys, would you have any thoughts on the current parking situation for Forada? Is it still off limits to park at the chapel, meaning parking must be at the hotel instead? The only information I see is 2013...
 Mark Eddy 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

I remember parking at the end of the tarmac road at a right turning. Enough space for a few cars and leaving the car here means no driving on dirt roads with all that may entail. The walk in from here was pleasant and easy, maybe 25 mins. I think it was quite near the hotel.
Hope that helps
 Sam Mayfield 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

The problem with most Costa Blanca crags is they are south facing, so heat from sun too much in September! You could always drive further north and visit Sella etc with the shade from the trees and the late evening when sun has gone is super nice!

Or an even further drive up to Moraig for some DWS, sun leaves around 4pm and the sun is very welcome if you,like me fall in alot!

Sam Orange House
 Pencarth 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

If it's hot try the Barranco de la Higuerica which is on the other (north) side of Orihuela mountain. Lots of shade and a very pleasant walk up through the orange/lemon groves. It's not in any guide but I've provided some basic information on the overview of the crag which should be sufficient to give you a nice day
Joe Rocket 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Pencarth:

Thanks for that. It sounds perfect from the overview, hopefully grade suitable too. I'm thinking that this and Forada are looking like shadier options.

Thanks for all the input so far.
Bogwalloper 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:
I had a great time at La Panocha near Murcia, less than an hour from Torre and well worth a visit.

Wally

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1674

worth a visit just for this route alone: Callego-Carlos http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=23091
Post edited at 11:29
Joe Rocket 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

Thanks- The multi-faced nature of La Panocha does seem to fit the bill alright.

I'm only bringing out a 50m rope this visit- hopefully it should be enough and the guide heights are accurate enough!
Bogwalloper 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Joe Rocket:

The classic 5+ is Pilli just to the right.

Really good routes.

Wally

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...