UKC

MWIS closure! To whom do we complain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 10 Sep 2016

Very bad news: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/mountain-weather-information-service-an... Apparently MWIS is set to close due to Sport Scotland withdrawing funding. (What on earth do they think is more worthwhile?!) Any ideas how we protest against this?

Edit: just seen this on a different forum:

"MWIS is asking those in the mountain community who use MWIS forecasts to declare their support for MWIS by writing to Shaun Roberts, Head of Glenmore Lodge (SportScotland) (enquiries@glenmorelodge.org.uk) and Richard Orrell at the Met Office (Richard.Orrell@metoffice.gov.uk) asking them to reinstate MWIS funding, and copying in geoff@mwis.org.uk."

^from the MWIS press release
Post edited at 23:04
 Dave 88 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Also a petition going-

https://www.change.org/p/sportscotland-reinstate-mountain-weather-informati...

Although there's already 4 threads on here about it but only 3 signatures on the petition!
 jonnie3430 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

I assume mcos will take the lead? Be good to hear from them what's going on?
Gone for good 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

30 signatures now and 70 more required for the petition to be delivered to Sports Scotland.
 drsdave 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

You're right Dave88, I posted it but hold no ownership in that sense, this petition is for everyone to join in, it's to everyone's advantage if MWIS remains so please sign the hell,out of it.
OP Tricadam 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

Signed and Facebooked.
OP Tricadam 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

Maybe UKC could do an item about this in the next weekly newsletter, linking to the petition? It's certainly newsworthy!
In reply to Tricadam:
Just signed it and 256 is the total.
 angry pirate 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

Signed.
 Trangia 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Singed
 Mountain Llama 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

signed
 Murderous_Crow 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Signed, have also emailed Sport Scotland and the Met Office.
Removed User 11 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

The problem seems to be funding. Perhaps if they had an arrangement where anyone who wanted to access the website for mountain weather donated, say, £10 per 12 months access it would be sorted. Unfortunately, we live in a something for nothing society, so maybe it wouldn't work. I use it every week, so would be more than happy to pay more than £10. I wonder if a way could be found to register a card and have a certain amount taken off for every visit.

I find MWIS to be the most accurate weather forecast site for the Lakes. The Lake District National Park Weatherline is a bit hit or miss, although credit to the people who report on current snow conditions, even though they're a tad on the safe side most times.
 Michael Gordon 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Well it would be 'paid' rather than 'donated' £10. But I think that sort of idea is quite good and surprised it hasn't been explored. Personally I would prefer a one off yearly payment (or similar) to a tiny one every time you visit - how many times have you just had to look at other areas or check again just to see if the forecast had changed?
 BnB 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I would pay a small annual fee. Come on Geoff, get your thinking cap on!!
 niallk 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

3200 signatures on this petition already:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/reinstate-vital-funding-to-the-mount...

By coincidence the site also takes its name from the optimal angle for avalanches.
 niallk 12 Sep 2016
In reply to BnB:

Cryptic response from SportScotland on walkhighlands and also further info on MCofS FB page. Although clarity seems to be lacking all round...

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/mountain-weather-information-service-an...
 Curly Rich 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Apparently we can all just ring Glenmore Lodge every day and get a forecast over the phone.
 hpil 12 Sep 2016
In reply to niallk:

chocolate fireguard response from sportscotland - disses the position put by MWIS but offers nothing useful in presenting its own view of the circumstances...
 Becky E 13 Sep 2016
In reply to niallk:

Indeed, all they've done is confirm that funding is secure until December, but nothing about January onwards.
 Becky E 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

I'm a bit confused about why MWIS are asking people to write to Glenmore Lodge. I'd have thought it would make more sense to write to the top bod at Sport Scotland. From the Sport Scotland website:

What do you think?

We are committed to improving our standards and welcome your comments on what we do. If you would like to make a comment, positive or negative, please write to:

Chief Executive
sportscotland
Doges
Templeton on the Green
62 Templeton Street
Glasgow
G40 1DA.
 DundeeDave 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Question tabled in the Scottish Parliament this afternoon...

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/28877.aspx?SearchType=Adva...
 Doug 13 Sep 2016
In reply to DundeeDave:

Guess it helps to have a few mountaineers as MSPs, I know Andy climbs (or at least used), how many others are there? might be worth lobbying them
 tony 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Doug:

Willie Rennie (LibDem) is a keen hill-runner and Liz Smith (Tory) is a hillwalker - I'm sure there are plenty of others.
 chris_s 13 Sep 2016
In reply to DundeeDave:

This is what Aileen Campbell told Scottish Parliament:

"The clear priority is to ensure the long term provision of critical mountain weather forecasting and to ensure the future safety of all those who are active in Scotland’s hills and mountains.

"MWIS has delivered an excellent service over the yeas and provided an accurate and essential service to all who use Scotland’s mountains. SportScotland has been involved with the Met Office and with MWIS about building a resilient mountain weather forecast provision for Scotland.

"We’re committed to ensuring that everyone can continue to receive this vital forecast, building on the skills and expertise that are within MWIS.

"In the short term, SportScotland and my officials will continue discussions with MWIS over the provision of their service whilst we develop a sustainable forecast, recognising that this familiar and trusted forecast should be available to all who look to enjoy Scottish mountains and wild landscapes.

"My officials have spoken to Geoff Monk, who’s the lead forecaster at MWIS, this morning to ensure that we take account of the concerns being raised in order to find a long term solution.

"I’ll be meeting SportScotland to discuss the ongoing developments and examine the provision of mountain weather forecasting to ensure that the concerns that have been raised by MWIS are fully addressed.

"As part of this I will also be formally meeting with MWIS to ensure that they’re part of the solution and that there is a long term legacy of their fantastic service which has undoubtedly saved lives and improved the safety for everyone who enjoy Scotland’s wild landscapes."

Andy Wightman asked her twice to confirm if SportScotland funding for MWIS was indeed ending in December, but no confirmation given.
 r1ch79 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

that is pure political rubbish for yeah were closing it but were not being upfront about when and why

If they werent removing funding or closing it she would have just said so instead of waffling on about their commitment to providing reliable weather forcasting blah blah blah blah

line em up and make them walk the plank........
paraffin 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Tricadam:
You asked "To whom do we complain?"
Since the UK joined the EU there has been a marked decline in the weather.
I would suggest you send all complaints about the weather to two high ranking officals.

Jean Claude Junker
President of European Union
c/o Bruxelles

He is bound to fix it. After all, since the UK joined the EU, weather here has not been on par with the likes of mainland Europe.

Failing that try:
The Wee Sturge
c/o Holyrood
Edinburgh
The Dependent State of Scotland

She has promised the earth, so why not some better weather (forecasting)?

jonnie3430 14 Sep 2016
In reply to paraffin:

> She has promised the earth, so why not some better weather (forecasting)?

Aye, but she's full of hot air, not what we need this winter...
 Dave Hewitt 14 Sep 2016
In reply to tony:

> Liz Smith (Tory) is a hillwalker

Liz Smith MSP is a Munroist - completed on Slioch in 2012. She has also played international cricket, all of which makes her a pretty sound woman in my book.
 Dan Arkle 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

MWIS now saved!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=649776

Was it saved by public demand, or was this all a storm in a teacup about a misunderstanding?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...