/ Lost vibram sole on Bwlch Goch

geoff b on 11 Sep 2016
I found a walking boot's vibram sole on Bwlch Goch this morning (Sunday 11/09/16) which begs a lot of questions:
How did it become detached?
When did you notice it was becoming detached?
Had you scrambled over Crib Goch with it gradually detaching itself or were you heading that way?!
How the hell did you get out of there?!
I'd love to know the answers if it was YOU!
althesin on 11 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

Picking up lost soles vicar?
Hat Dude on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

> I'd love to know the answers if it was YOU!

The owner hopped it before they could be asked

AC93 - on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

The owner won't speak up, he's lost his tongue too...
ultrabumbly on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

Dr Bruce Banner attempting to avoid his triggers by plodding around Snowdonia. Nobody told him Wales has midges too.
Jim C - on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

This happened to someone when we were in thye Cairngorms, the boot went into the snow, and when extracted, it was minus its sole.

A crepe bandage wrapped around the boot and sole held it together enough to get them up and down.
( I also carry tiewraps for such occasions of boot/rucjsack/trouser malfunctions. )
Fraser on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> This happened to someone when we were in thye Cairngorms, the boot went into the snow, and when extracted, it was minus its sole.

Minus One Gully?
nniff - on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

It must have been soul-destroying.
nniff - on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

Left without a leg to stand on. Or was it the right?
DerwentDiluted - on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

Maybe it was the sole survivor of the recent helicopter crash?
jimjimjim on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

This happened to my brother at the weekend on his Bob Graham attempt, he opted for his comfy old faithfull runners that were a little worse for wear and alas they let him down, he struggled down and swapped over but it cost him time. Then as I climbed to meet him at broad stand to rig a rope for him I too found a complete vibramy sole so I carried it up to him, oh did we laugh.
Rigid Raider - on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

How can people allow their kit to reach the stage where it's actually falling apart?
jimjimjim on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Because they use it? Most of my kit is falling apart and I'm still here.
Fredt on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

Oh FFS people, get a grip!
DerwentDiluted - on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
Dave the Rave on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

It belonged to George Michael.
He's allegedly prone to having stuff sucked off in bogs.
wercat on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

By using it the day they buy it?

I took a brand new pair of boots bought that morning from a Keswick Emporium (noted for many years for a large image of a climber above its corner entrance) straight up Great Gable. The boots were not cheap. Early on the way down the sole came completely off one of them.

Fortunately I had the laces from my old boots in my sack (waste not want not) and managed to lace the sole back to the boot - it actually stayed on all the way down, unbelievably.
RollingStone - on 12 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

Fortunately we have an appropriate song for the occasion. All together now: You picked a fine time to leave me loose heel!
ads.ukclimbing.com
geoff b on 19 Sep 2016
In reply to geoff b:

Thanks for all those puns folks; they healed my soul & long may they last.

As a postscript, whilst I was taking a couple of friends over Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa on Saturday I filled up a few bags of trash found on route to help clean up. These included a pair of underpants, a shirt, (yet) another glove & a gilet!! I left the heavy Barbour-style jacket where it was as I couldn't face carrying that as well. Someone up there must be very cold.