UKC

Wye Valley guidebook(s)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Glynn 13 Sep 2016
What guidebook(s) would I need for Symonds Yat, Shorncliffe, Wyndcliffe, Wintours, Gilwern, Tintern Quarry? Is it/are they current or due to be revised/updated. Many thanks.
 Ander 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Dan Glynn:

Have a look on the UKC logbook pages for those crags- they include details of relevant guidebooks.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Dan Glynn:

If you want the definitives:

http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/shop/books/south-west/symonds-yat/
http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/shop/books/south-west/lower-wye-valley/

A little out of date at the mo but not missing anything major. Couple of supplements available if you want to be bang up to date.
 bpmclimb 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Dan Glynn:

Symonds Yat itself hasn't seen a lot of changes, so the latest CC definitive should do you fine. For a few updates to outlying crags (e.g. Staple Edge) refer to the CC Wye Valley Supplement (2012).

The LWV definitive is fine for Shorn Cliff and Wynd Cliff main crags, again, very little change. It's also fine for Wintours, except Woodcroft Quarry which has had a complete rewrite in the Supplement mentioned above. It's also ok for Tintern Quarry, except some more recent harder additions to Red Dust Wall, details in the Supplement (NB climbing at TQ is officially banned).

For Wyndcliffe Quarry refer to the UKC database page, or if you drop me an Email I'll send you a file which is more easily printable and completely up-to-date with the new routes. (There is a LWV sport climbing guidebook in preparation, but it's not yet available).

The best information on Gilwern and Gilwern East is on the SWMC site.

jmalkovic90 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Dan Glynn:

Is there a topo available for Wyndcliffe Quarry -- specifically upper lift? Couldn't quite figure it out from the book or UKC.
 bpmclimb 13 Sep 2016
In reply to jmalkovic90:

> Is there a topo available for Wyndcliffe Quarry -- specifically upper lift? Couldn't quite figure it out from the book or UKC.

No topos at the moment; many routes are still very new. What route positions couldn't you figure out?
OP Dan Glynn 13 Sep 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Thanks for that, very comprehensive!
Removed User 13 Sep 2016
In reply to jmalkovic90:

A few selected topos to some LWV crags (including WQ Upper) here. They may at least help to get bearings:

http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/LWVPDS.pdf
 springfall2008 13 Sep 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

> No topos at the moment; many routes are still very new. What route positions couldn't you figure out?

It's quite hard to find routes on the upper tier left as there are so many. I was wondering about posting a set of photos to UKC to cover the different routes. It really needs a guide book.
 Long Pinky 13 Sep 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

> It's quite hard to find routes on the upper tier left as there are so many. I was wondering about posting a set of photos to UKC to cover the different routes. It really needs a guide book.

There is a guidebook being made, as we speak, for the Wye Valley sport.

Patience is a virtue.
 BusyLizzie 14 Sep 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Could you possibly send me the printable file for Wyndcliffe Quarry, please?
Gratefully
Lizzie
 springfall2008 14 Sep 2016
In reply to Long Pinky:

> There is a guidebook being made, as we speak, for the Wye Valley sport.

> Patience is a virtue.

I saw a new Wye Valley sport guidebook advertised as coming soon but it didn't seen to include Wyndcliff?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...