UKC

The future of travel ? Hell yeah , sign me up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Morning,

I came across this last night while surfing youtube.
Now maybe some of you have already seen this , all I know is when I saw this last night I was in disbelief at what I was witnessing .

I so desperately want to fly one of these before I kick the bucket.

Absolutely totally and utterly blown away.
I had to share this .

youtube.com/watch?v=KEDrMriKsFM&
youtube.com/watch?v=rNKRxsNyOho&
youtube.com/watch?v=Ztx2Wud7-hY&

TS

Jim C 15 Sep 2016
In reply to That Shallot:

You might get a few complaints of dust in folks eyes, and dirty cars and windows if you try and go down the high street.
Rigid Raider 15 Sep 2016

Amazing! So it's a small jet and he carries the fuel in that backpack, right?

In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Amazing! So it's a small jet and he carries the fuel in that backpack, right?

Yeah that's right.
The specs on one clip I saw stated 10 minutes flight time (as of the current model) with max of 10,000 feet height and a top speed of 92 miles and hour.

It's the green goblin for real

DerwentDiluted 15 Sep 2016

What could possibly go wrong?

are we sure its not a hoax?
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
> are we sure its not a hoax?

It's not a hoax. Or that's one hell of a piece of CGI

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/116249-farthest-flight-by...

TS
Post edited at 14:10
 Xharlie 16 Sep 2016
I am not falling for it.

If this was real, SOMEONE else would have posted a clip of it. He didn't test it in the middle of nowhere, away from civilisation. He tested it in a marina full of rich people on yachts, exactly the type to own GoPros and smart phones, all with video capabilities.

EDIT: Actually, the CGI would be dead simple with just a green-screen and some drone footage of some blokes on jet skis. In most of it, the dude on the device is just a still silhouette. You could fake the water disturbance with a large, professional grade camera drone, edit that out and edit the "hoverboard" and pilot in.

EDIT 2: I know a few engineers who have all built drones - and done so before off-the-shelf drones were a Thing. I'm also married to an engineer with an MSc in control theory. One of the problems with the control algorithm is that it is only stable until a certain point - if you unbalance a drone too much, you simply can't create enough force to stabilise it. For a drone, this isn't really a problem because they are wide and flat with a centre of gravity that is low down. If you put an 80 kg person on top, plus the weight of the fuel, moving the centre of mass at least 80 cm above the origin of the force, there's going to be no way in Hell to make it stable. It would be like balancing a pool cue, point down on the palm of your hand - a feat that is possible if you can move your hand laterally but completely impossible using ONLY roll and pitch.
Post edited at 18:31
MarkJH 16 Sep 2016
In reply to Xharlie:
> ...a feat that is possible if you can move your hand laterally but completely impossible using ONLY roll and pitch.

Even without vectored thrust, roll and pitch control is, by definition, lateral control in this sort of device.
Post edited at 19:13

That looks fun. Do you know where I can buy a few ? Thanks for posting btw.

Trevers 18 Sep 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

> EDIT 2: I know a few engineers who have all built drones - and done so before off-the-shelf drones were a Thing. I'm also married to an engineer with an MSc in control theory. One of the problems with the control algorithm is that it is only stable until a certain point - if you unbalance a drone too much, you simply can't create enough force to stabilise it. For a drone, this isn't really a problem because they are wide and flat with a centre of gravity that is low down. If you put an 80 kg person on top, plus the weight of the fuel, moving the centre of mass at least 80 cm above the origin of the force, there's going to be no way in Hell to make it stable. It would be like balancing a pool cue, point down on the palm of your hand - a feat that is possible if you can move your hand laterally but completely impossible using ONLY roll and pitch.

What about these things? Isn't that a similar type of problem (but potentially even more complicated because there's many more degrees of freedom of movement).
youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww&

(Skip to about 30 seconds)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...