UKC

Peak District hike/scramble/camp recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fenda 15 Sep 2016
I'm going to drive up to the Peak District from London on Saturday. It's my first time and looking for some recommendations. I only have 24 hours there unfortunately.

I'll arrive around 1pm on Saturday and hoping to hike/scramble something challenging that day. Camp overnight then get a shorter easier done hike in the morning before leaving around noon.

Would Edale be a good area to start?
In reply to Fenda:

> Would Edale be a good area to start?

Yes I would say so.
But I'm a big fan of Edale

When you say challenging , what have you in mind ?
I don't think you'll get much scrambling done . There isn't a lot to go at in the peak, and what there is is pretty short lived.
However there is some great walks and hikes.

I'll be up that way again this weekended myself.

TS

Mike Peacock 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Fenda:

Possibly a bit late for you now, but the Cicerone scrambling guide might help you out:
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/674/title/scrambles-in-th...
OP Fenda 15 Sep 2016
In reply to That Shallot:

Yeah, I totally understand. This isn't the Lakes or Snowdonia. A great walk/hike is perfect, as long as it gets my heart pumping!
In reply to Fenda:

> Yeah, I totally understand. This isn't the Lakes or Snowdonia. A great walk/hike is perfect, as long as it gets my heart pumping!

My question is more along the lines of how far do you want to walk ?
Have you a route in mind ?

TS

OP Fenda 15 Sep 2016
In reply to That Shallot:

Hmm.. Preferably something that loops from wherever I camp near Edale and takes around 5 hours. Any ideas?
In reply to Fenda:

I've a few suggestions as I've walked a lot around there in the past few years.
I suppose if depends on where you are camping.
There are several campsites in/around Edale . I've only ever stayed at Coopers campsite as I just like the location and you can walk straight from the campsite and onto Kinder scout .

Here it is
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2997

Have you picked a campsite ?

TS

olddirtydoggy 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Fenda:

Blackden brook scramble which starts from the snake pass is the finest scramble round there. You can drop back down further round and stay in the oyster clough bothy on the other side of the pass. Epic day.
In reply to Fenda:

Crowden clough, kinder gates, kinder downfall, and back to Edale along the pennine way is a fantastic walk.

The kinder plateau is the only place I've ever had to take a compass bearing in clear visibility and broad daylight to work out where to go- an impressive place!
OP Fenda 19 Sep 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up doing this walk and it was brilliant!

I stayed in the Waterside Farm Campsite. Lovely weekend away.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...