UKC

Repairing scuffs/tears in wall lining paper...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 15 Sep 2016

I've been removing some built in sliding doors in my spare room, and have made the odd tear, either continuous or similar to how some stitching can look when it's an 'up and down stitch', and was wondering if anybody could recommend something I could paint on which would glue any bits which are proud back onto the wall, and hide the fact there is a tear to some degree?

They don't need to be invisibly hidden, more disguised a little so they might resemble a slight bulge in the wall...

Thanks.
Post edited at 19:51
interdit 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

You'll probably never fully hide it, but to make a reasonable repair use something along the lines of a wallpaper edge or repair glue, they are easier to work with and a bit stronger than standard paper mix.

Polycell, Bostik, Solvite etc all make them and the DIY sheds probably do their own too.

eg. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solvite-1574678-Wallpaper-Repair-Adhesive/dp/B0032...
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solvite-1574677-Overlap-Border-Tube/dp/B0032NEX96/...

One of the main things is they dry clear - which is important as it's likely you'll get it on bits of the wallpaper that will remain visible.

For really small tears forget using the oversized applicator or brush they supply - use a chewed matchstick.
Wipe the wall clean once with a damp sponge immediately after the repair - In the opposite direction of the tear!
OP Timmd 15 Sep 2016
In reply to interdit:
I should have added that I'll be painting over the repairs when I paint the walls.

Thanks for the links.
Post edited at 20:20
interdit 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> I should have added that I'll be painting over the repairs when I paint the walls.

If the tears are messy and you are going to paint over, then consider using a Stanley blade to cut out the bad bits and put a new fillet in. Tears are often wrinkled and make for a lumpy repair.

First cut a new repair fillet from fresh paper and then use it as a template to cut around on the wall and remove the damaged area.
OP Timmd 16 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Has anybody any recommendations for something to paint over the holes left in the paper if I was to cut out the tears?

Thanks
Lusk 16 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Patch big holes with paper and trowel decorators caulk over the gaps, then gently sand the joints smooth when fully dry.
Rigid Raider 16 Sep 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Don't Polyfilla make a product that's designed exactly for smoothing out small surface blemishes? You spread it on with a broad blade.
Lusk 16 Sep 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Probably, but I'm a tight arse and usually have a £1 tube of caulk on the go for all those niggling little filling jobs that absolutely no one else would notice need doing
OP Timmd 16 Sep 2016

I'll look into caulk and what Polyfilla make.

Thanks all.
 Hooo 16 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

If you're going to paint it afterwards, brush the area with PVA and stick it down, ideally with a hard wallpaper roller. Then fill with polyfilla and rub down gently.
 jimjimjim 16 Sep 2016

Easyfill by gyproc. Don't use caulk, you can't sand it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...