UKC

Illegal Rave at Millstone edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andork123 18 Sep 2016
So last night 3 of us were off to bivvy and climb at Millstone, as we arrived at 2am so did hundreds of people along with generators, lighting, DJ booths and massive speakers.

We had heard rumours of illegal raves going on there before so when we got invited while in the lay-by we decided to check it out, despite us being in climbing cloths the people were surprisingly friendly and welcoming.

what we were concerned about however was the inevitable mess so we walked up the next morning to be massively surprised to see they had just about finished packing the equipment up, but they had also cleared every bit of rubbish and were having friendly chats with locals.

What are other peoples thoughts of this, and what experiences have you had with it? From the effort they made to clean up, I genuinly don't see a problem with it but maybe its not always the case.
 Timmd 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:
I think it's fine if they're always as responsible as you say, if they're from Sheffield I'm not surprised they were friendly and welcoming if you were in climbing clothes, my experiences of party people and 'alternative' types and people out to have a good time in settings away from the norm have always been positive.
Post edited at 17:34
 MonkeyPuzzle 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

Back int' day, I used to be a regular free party goer and clearing up in the morning was just something that got done. People who were nothing to do with the sound system would bring empty binbags for the morning. I would never knowingly litter or walk past litter in the countryside and that goes whether I'm off camping or off my tits having it to jungle.
 skog 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

That lot sound great, I hope they get to enjoy themselves like that many more times.

Four years back there was a group doing these at various beaches in the NW Highlands one night after the other, and they left quite a mess at Achmelvich and Port Alltan na Bradhan. I cleared up some of it myself, but that still left loads; I hope they get rained on and swarmed by midges every time they try this in the future!
 birdie num num 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

It sounds like it was a right boring rave.
 natetan 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

sounds awesome!
 tehmarks 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

If they leave no trace, brilliant, no issues with it whatsoever. Similarly, people who wild camp (or merely pass through, or climb) and leave a trail of crap are as much of a problem as illegal raves leaving a load of crap.

I don't care what people do in our great outdoors, as long as they do it responsibly
 CarbonCopy 18 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I've been to a party Millstone some years ago, sounds very similar! I remember passing some climbers on the way out and thinking how it was such a perfect 24hr venue for all sorts of pastimes! Good to hear Sheffield ravers are still keeping it tidy!
 arch 18 Sep 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

> It sounds like it was a right boring rave.

You didn't get the invite then ??
In reply to andork123:

1. Good ravers.

2. If i dont get an invite next time I will cancel my ukc membership.

3. I will bring bin bags and a very enthusiastic pair of litter hands.

4. Big up yor chess, DJ Hype. Come with it my selecta.

5. Can I drink Lagavulin a plenty nawadays rather than Mitsubishis? Me 'ed takes too long to recover.
OP andork123 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

Glad to see the positive comments, it's safe to say I got a phone number for the next one :p
 riff156 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

If people do as you said, clean up and respect the place I really don't see how anyone can have a problem with it, in fact if they did a good job of clearing up then I'm guessing you wouldn't of known they've even been there, and anyone who reads this and says it shouldn't of happened should think about this , I once found a baby's nappy stuffed into a crack at Stanage, which is effing disgusting in my opinion. Should we stop people with baby's taking them to such places

Just a thought 😊
 deepsoup 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:
> What are other peoples thoughts of this, and what experiences have you had with it? From the effort they made to clean up, I genuinly don't see a problem with it but maybe its not always the case.

If the clean-up was as good as you say then yep, no problem here, good luck to them.

It hasn't always been quite as good as that, in which case not so much. (But then it's hardly unusual to stumble across a disposable barbie and a pile of beer cans there at the best of times.)
 JJL 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:
> "Illegal rave"
> ... 3 of us were off to bivvy

You were just too subtle this time
 Big Ger 18 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

What get's played at raves these days? Any decent Goa House going about?
 plyometrics 19 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

Sounds cool. Out of curiosity, what makes said gathering 'illegal'?

Sounds like lots of folk meeting up and enjoying themselves in a public place.
In reply to andork123:

Would it be safe to assume not much climbing happened the next day?
cap'nChino 19 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

So long as the mess is all cleared up and the locals are OKish with it I think it is a great thing.

All too often you see the likes of Stone Henge be flooded with rubbish after large events. Its great to see hundreds of people can all be socially responsible, gives you hope.
cap'nChino 19 Sep 2016
In reply to riff156:

> Should we stop people with baby's taking them to such places

Yes, but this is another matter entirely

paul mitchell 19 Sep 2016
In reply to cap'nChino:

Music more fun than climbing? Surely not?!
 3leggeddog 19 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

Noooo

This is ukc, this is not the place for being all sympathetic and understanding.

Here we rant and rave (geddit?) about those who dare use the crags for anything other than climbing. Crags are sacred don't you know, only to be littered with finger tape, defaced with chalk and rubber and disturbed with shouts of "f*ck, f*ck take take".

Now go away and do your penance, 30x" take in on blue" and 10x " climb when ready" should see you right.

And don't mix with those dirty hippies again.
 Hooo 19 Sep 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

> Sounds cool. Out of curiosity, what makes said gathering 'illegal'?

Section 63 of the 1994 Criminal Justice Act outlaws any gathering of more than 100 people where amplified music is played during the night. The act contains the infamous clause "Music is expressly defined to include that wholely or predominantly characterised by the emission of repetitive beats."
They created a a specific anti-rave law, and there was a lot of fuss about it at the time.
 Timmd 19 Sep 2016
In reply to Hooo:
I remember that, I was a teenager at the time and had an older sibling grumbling about it. I gather it's what 'Their Law' by the Prodigy is going on about.

I guess there were developing 'issues' related to raves being held, in them taking place in sometimes unsafe locations, and the developing criminality connected with buying drugs, with 'robust' guys competing for the market etc, but it can seem like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut for when it's just some friends and friends of friends getting together.
Post edited at 19:40
 plyometrics 19 Sep 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Cheers. Makes sense now. Vaguely remember that in the news now you mention it.
 danm 19 Sep 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Can't remember exactly who it was, but one producer made an electronic music album comprising entirely of non-repetitive beats as a protest against the CJA.
 WildCamper 19 Sep 2016
In reply to danm:
There was an entire genre (and sub-genres) spawned from the concept.
Good stuff too imo
Post edited at 22:37
OP andork123 20 Sep 2016
In reply to andork123:

yep that law, along with the drugs involved I guess, as for violence, there was stewards/bouncers but unlike commercial clubs, there was no need from what we saw. It was just people loving the music having a great time.

I guess the whole culture comes down to freedom and has nothing to do with anti social behaviour like I expected although was much more exciting than your average night down sheffield :p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...