Due to the huge popularity of winter ice caves in Iceland, Glacier Guides are now looking to recruit additional driver guides for the upcoming season.
Working within an experienced and professional team, you will be responsible for safely leading glacier hiking, ice cave and ice climbing excursions on the lower hard ice areas of Iceland£s outlet glaciers. Details of the operation can be found on our website http://www.glacierguides.is.
We are looking for staff who are able to commit to long-term employment. The role would suit mature applicants who are able to commit to living and working in a remote area on the outskirts of the Vatnajokull National Park.
This is an entry level guiding position for passionate and enthusiastic individuals looking to begin a career in guiding and adventure tourism; previous experience is not mandatory, as full training will be provided for the right applicants. We invest a great deal in our staff in terms of training and professional development and opportunities exist for career progression within the operation.
At a minimum, we would expect applicants to be able to:
• Legally drive passenger carrying vehicles. Category D or D1 license with current Driver CPC qualification mandatory for the position.
• Communicate clearly in English (other languages would benefit your application).
• Demonstrate an extensive background in outdoor activities, whether personally or professionally.
• Demonstrate knowledge of safe basic climbing practices and rope work (tying common knots, belaying, simple rescue techniques). Crevasse rescue experience would benefit your application.
• Demonstrate a basic understanding of weather systems and weather map interpretation.
• Provide a current and valid basic first aid certificate.
• Capable of the physically demanding nature of the role.
• Be legally entitled to live and work in Iceland (nationals of EU/EEA countries).
Benefits include an attractive salary, accommodation and full-board. Shift patterns allow staff time to travel around the island and enjoy the beautiful scenery Iceland is famous for.