UKC

Easter island.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnV 18 Sep 2016
Has anyone been to Easter Island? I have a few days there in a couple of weeks and would love your suggestions of things to do, climbing or otherwise. On that 180 Degrees South movie it shows some climbing- worth packing a rope or just go bouldering?
Cheers!
abseil 19 Sep 2016
In reply to JohnV:

> Has anyone been to Easter Island? I have a few days there in a couple of weeks and would love your suggestions of things to do, climbing or otherwise....

I spent 4 days there about 10 years ago. [Didn't climb there so can't speak to that]. For me it was a fantastic place, one of the best ever. I took a tour on the first day which was OK, being shuttled around in an old bus with a load of other tourists. That was good in one way, as the local guide was very helpful and knowledgeable, but bad in that we were in a crowd and rushed around, and of course had no say in how long we could spend at a site, and could not wander round alone. THEN next day I hired a car for the rest of my trip [I just asked for one at the hotel desk], which was brilliant because I could then go everywhere at my own pace and time, alone, spending as long as I wanted. One strange disadvantage of car hire was that insurance was not available for some arcane reason, so I drove ultra-carefully especially near people e.g. in the [then] tiny Hanga Roa.

I hope you have a great trip.
 JuneBob 19 Sep 2016
In reply to JohnV:

I went there in 2007, I hired a moped for one day and bombed around the island visiting a selection of the statues. I also did a horse ride tour to some of the statues which was fun, and then a selection of hikes. But I didn't do anything outside the standard tourist recommendations.
I have no climbing suggestions, but I imagine it would be cool to do some there if it's possible.

Enjoy.
 IainL 19 Sep 2016
In reply to JohnV:

Rope not needed. Take bivvy gear and wander round island for a couple or three days. The far east end used to have a small group of trees in a crater, supposedly haunted, plus some semi-wild cattle (or not so semi). This was a long time ago when there were no tourist facilities. Wandering and sleeping on the shore is amazing as it's so remote. Nothing in any direction for 1000s of miles.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...