UKC

Teenagers waterproof jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 19 Sep 2016
Hi
Can anyone recommend a hillwalking waterproof for my teenage girl. She's just 14, 5'1'' and an athletic build.
The Keela Munro Youth has all the features I'm after including a good hood and storm flap. I've found this at £100. How do these coats size up?
The Mrs thinks it's too much to pay for a growing kid and is after other options
If anyone is selling a Keela Munro second hand I may be interested.
Thanks
 GarethSL 19 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Have you checked out TK Maxx? They normally have pretty good bargains for outdoor clothing, especially as its coming up to winter.
 Timmd 19 Sep 2016
Have you thought about ebay, to do with wanting a decent hood and a storm flap and a small size?

It's the kind of size which might be found quite cheaply on there, even for makes like Mountain Equipment, and possibly new too.

This is going new and cheaply at the mo - ie £65 with no bids. 'Mountain Equipment Women's Pumori Gore-Tex Jacket Ocean Depths 8'

If you can find out what size she is for Mtn Equipment etc you could be onto a winner. I attempted to email you to be secretive about it, but that didn't work.
Post edited at 18:08
 zimpara 19 Sep 2016

Arc'teryx do some good ones.

I've got the keela falklands, and it is not even shower proof never mind rain.
You could price match most of go outdoors Rab/montane/haglöfs range for £100.
In reply to GarethSL:

> Have you checked out TK Maxx? They normally have pretty good bargains for outdoor clothing

Sadly, the Maxx has been fairly poor for the last few years; companies seem to have got wise to the likes of SportPursuit, rather than clearing via TK Maxx.

I still look, but it's been very poor pickings.
 Timmd 19 Sep 2016
Berghaus ones are floating around too, being Goretex with storm flaps. I've no bad experience with Berghaus hoods and have found them to be good like Mountain Equipment ones...
Post edited at 18:22
cb294 19 Sep 2016

We found the Diederikson's stuff from Sweden excellent and affordable for our kids. Also, my girls had a basic Berghaus hardshell that served them well for several years, even on trekking trips in crap weather,

CB
 john spence 19 Sep 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

I agree, I've had good stufffromTK over the years, but you have to be lucky these days to get a bargain. Many of their clothes are seconds and poorly made. ..jackets labelled as small could have extra large sleeves fitted. All their footwear has a hand written number on the sole (usually in gold marker pen)indicating the degree of "twist" in the sole, for street wear they are fine but walking boots with a twisted sole will aggravate or possibly cause problems. Buyer beware! Having said that I got a Mountain Hardwear insulated top for £22.
OP Dave the Rave 19 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks Timmd et al.
I've had a look on eBay and Tk, but this Keela looks the job for a hundred. I'll just ignore the Mrs' opinion and buy it. What more could a 14 yr old girl want but a new waterproof and a trip to a bothy with her dad
In reply to john spence:

> All their footwear has a hand written number on the sole (usually in gold marker pen)indicating the degree of "twist" in the sole

Er, no; that's the price. It stops chavs swapping labels to get a lower price...

> What more could a 14 yr old girl want but a new waterproof and a trip to a bothy with her dad

I think you're going to find out...
 john spence 20 Sep 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:
Oh, maybe it's just an urban myth that I'm spreading. Just what I'd been told. The footwear is most definately twisted.. I once bought a pair of Rossignol B3 boots for £27. one boot was badly twisted but I levelled it on a belt sander...drastic but a bargain !!!!
 BusyLizzie 20 Sep 2016

I bought my son (16, big, with an alarming habit of growing every time I turn my back) a Quechua from Decathlon for (I think) £60ish. He is very pleased with it. We haven't done anything very wild but he's worn it on a snowy climbing day and has been warm and happy.

Timmd 20 Sep 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:
Dave the Rave likes storm flaps over his zips as a back up, and I think I'm starting to as well having had the odd coil zip stop working.
Post edited at 16:17
 BusyLizzie 21 Sep 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Ah, yes, good point - my son's jacket hasn't had a lot of wear and hasn't been out in stormy weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...