UKC

Cycle tour....Shropshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 20 Sep 2016

Hoping to squeeze in a 3 night cycle tour around Shropshire in a couple of weeks. Need to start in Stoke as going from my mates house there so thought we'd head to Shrewsbury, then maybe a night in Ludlow and one somewhere else!? Neither of us know the area at all....probably looking at 50'ish miles per day but flexible and somewhere for a B&B and a decent beer in the evenings....
Anyone know the area for recommendations or advice for the tour?
Thanks
Post edited at 21:35
Gone for good 20 Sep 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Stay overnight at Church Stretton and then include this in the next days ride.
http://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/burway/
OP abr1966 20 Sep 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

Thanks....looking at something a bit more lumpy after a couple of beers the night before!
 Mattilda 20 Sep 2016
In reply to abr1966:

The Ironbridge gorge is great and on a national cycle route which includes Wroxeter Roman Ruins and Attingham Park. There is a yha at coalport and Coalbrookdale, the Madeley Court hotel is good too if you are feeling flush. The Stiperstones is also great and has a good pub, Bishops Castle has great pubs and breweries and is close to an (sort of offroad) route called the Kerry ridgeway. The Bridges at Ratlinghope (locally called Ratchup) may be worth a look as they may now do accommodation. Camping pods at Marshbrook near Church Stretton too and next to a pub and bike shop.
OP abr1966 20 Sep 2016
In reply to Mattilda:

Great info....thanks, much appreciated....
 TobyA 20 Sep 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Shropshire is beautiful and quiet, it is quite hilly though for riding around! If you are up for a challenge you can ride to the top of both of the Clee Hills (Brown Clee is the biggest in the county - about 1800 ft IIRC). I've done Titterstone Clee on my roadbike - doing it from the Teme at Tenbury is a good old climb, but sounds like you'd be coming from the North. I've bivvied on various hills around Shropshire in the past as well, with no problems if you want to go down the bikepacking route.
 GrahamD 21 Sep 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Did a great loop from Ludlow the other month. Ran from just across the river heading west to Knighton across the ridge and back all on quiet roads. Let me know if interested and I'll link you to the Garmin course or send you a gpx
 Sayon 21 Sep 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Have a look at the Nova Raiders website (cycling club based in Newport). They have several rides on their website, including route 66. Do the first half of this, it will take you to Church Stretton through some lovely back roads- highly recommended. Stoke to Eccleshall- eccleshall to Newport via eccleshall high street, high offley, adbaston, is a lovely quiet ride.
 Sam W 21 Sep 2016
In reply to abr1966:

I live in Ludlow, and hearing west from here there's almost limitless tarmac in beautiful countryside to explore. If you're happy with hills it's easy to pick a route on roads so quiet you'll only see a handful of cars all day.
I'd suggest heading towards Knighton via Wigmore, then exploring the Kerry Ridgeway before dropping back down to Bishops Castle for the night (3 Tuns Brewery). Drop me an email if you want more specific route advice
 wilkesley 21 Sep 2016
In reply to abr1966:

I live on the Cheshire/Shropshire border. From Shrewsbury you can easily reach Whitchurch using NCN route 45 or a bit further east one of the 5xx routes. It's possible to ride through most of the county on very minor roads. There are several B&B' in South Cheshire near Route 70.
OP abr1966 21 Sep 2016
In reply to wilkesley:

Thanks everyone for very helpful replies...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...