UKC

Broken Myo XP headtorch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 23 Sep 2016
I've got a Myo XP - it's not one of the latest ones and it's broken. I'm pretty sure it's the old known weakness where the cable goes into the actual torch bit. This weakness is fixed with a stronger structure holding the cable in the latest versions of the Myo XP.

Question: has anyone found a reasonable way of fixing the Myo when it goes wrong in this way?
(or am I just going to have to replace it - with something else)

Thanks for any knowledge or ideas.
 TGreen 23 Sep 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

I had one that broke in that way. It's a fairly easy fix if you have a soldering iron. Just open it up, unsolder the wire "stump" that's left behind, trim the wire above the bit where it's worn through and solder it back on. Mine was good for a couple of year until it broke in the same way again.
 David Barlow 23 Sep 2016

Send it back to the importers who (in my experience) send you a new one.
 Dave the Rave 23 Sep 2016

Beware. I bought a Myo in 2009 and had the same problem. While I was fiddling with it the cable shorted and caught fire. I would send it back.
 NottsRich 23 Sep 2016

Send it back. It's a known (but not advertised) defect. Mine started smouldering when it was on my chest in a sleeping bag in the middle of the night. Quite scary!
 Timmd 23 Sep 2016

I'd send it back. I had a much earlier one go funny, and not being happy with not knowing why it had developed the fault, took it to bits and probably voided any chance of a replacement. Or rather I'd send it back if you know you're going to get a reliable replacement from them - it can't be that hard to make a reliable head torch.
 Ridge 23 Sep 2016
In reply to TGreen:

> I had one that broke in that way. It's a fairly easy fix if you have a soldering iron. Just open it up, unsolder the wire "stump" that's left behind, trim the wire above the bit where it's worn through and solder it back on. Mine was good for a couple of year until it broke in the same way again.

I did the same with my old Myo. Worked well afterwards.
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2016
In reply to David Barlow:

> Send it back to the importers who (in my experience) send you a new one.

Plus 1 for me.

I did this and got a new one FoC.

Costs nothing to ask.
OP Michael Hood 24 Sep 2016
In reply to The Lemming and others: were these sent back recently? And who to? Who is the importer?

Mine is several years old - certainly beyond the 3 year guarantee - but it's not been heavily used.

Thanks again for all helpful responses.

NottsRich 24 Sep 2016

Lyon Equipment. Mine was certainly more than 3 years old.
 The Lemming 25 Sep 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

> Lyon Equipment. Mine was certainly more than 3 years old.

Mine was somewhere between 7 and 10 years old. A mate who works for an outdoor retail returned it to Lyon Equipment and they returned a brand spanking new torch.

All above board and legit.

In fact I have spoken to Lyon Equipment in the past about stuff bought from retailers who would not play nicely. Why not call them and state your problem with the XP?

They have very good customer service, and if they can then they will try to help. If they say no, then you've lost nothing.
OP Michael Hood 05 Oct 2016
In reply to The Lemming & others: Spoke to Lyon - they said no (they can't fix it and they wouldn't replace it).

Is the next step to go back to the original retailer (Cotswold - many years ago) and try through them?

Also - for taking apart - are those tiny allen key screws or are they something different like torq?

The Lemming 05 Oct 2016

You could try the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

I've only ever used the Sale of Goods act and did not realise that it was scrapped and that the Consumer Rights Act took over.

Worth a punt.
 Andrew Wilson 06 Oct 2016

I had the same problem. I posted it to Lyon with a nice letter but they just posted it back and said it was too old for them to consider replacing.
I tried taking it apart to repair myself but it is very difficult, the bits that look like they should undo don't. I think it snaps together in a permanent manner.
I put it down to experience and now recommend Fenix head torches as far superior and better value for money.

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...