UKC

NEWS: Chris Sharma opens Alasha, 9? DWS on Mallorca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Sep 2016
Chris Sharma on Alasha, 9a, western Mallorca, 3 kb 

Chris Sharma has made the first ascent of Alasha, a Deep Water Solo (DWS) route which he says is of roughly the same difficulty as Es Pontas. The latter was opened almost exactly ten years ago.

Last week I was able to send a long term project that I'd been trying over the last 5 years...

Read more
 Jon Read 23 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC News:

"Opens"??? This is *UK* Climbing you know!
 Shani 23 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Does he even Grit?
 ehole 23 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I'm off to Mallorca for 2 weeks of DWS as of tomorrow. See you there Sharma!

PSYYYYCHE!
 mb_manchester 23 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic achievement and hats off to him for this one. I am a regular to Mallorca and visited Es Pontas several times and it amazes me every time how he managed to climb it.
 Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Read:
Im sure people from outside the UK will also be reading this. 'Opened' is a far more interesting word in my view that simply 'put up'. Also Id disagree with Es Pontas never being graded. Talking to Chris the same day he did the FA of Es Pontas, he said its possibly 9b (but yes never confirmed it because it needs a second accent), but after Ethan Pringle found a more static way through the lower crux, 9a+ began to have more meaning. Although Es Pontas still remains unrepeted so who knows, perhaps Ethan will hold the answer one day?
 Jon Read 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Daimon - Rockfax:

It's certainly preferable to 'sends'. 'Opens' is a near direct translation from what the french say for their first ascents, isn't it? My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I appreciate that there is a certain monotony in saying 'climbs the first ascent of...'. Perhaps we can help Björn: I suggest

'Chris Sharma affords Alasha, 9? DWS on Mallorca'.

(and thumbs up for Chris and his high water high grade high jinks)
 Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Read:

I also like the word sends ..
 beverooni 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Read:

The French 'open' a route by bolting the line, climbing it is 'enchaîner'
 Jon Read 25 Sep 2016
In reply to beverooni:

Aha. Thanks for the clarification.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...