UKC

Accommodation Buttermere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Obi Wan 24 Sep 2016
I was thinking of doing a little "backpacking" trip with my son at the end of October, using Buttermere as the halfway stop. I had planned on staying the night at the youth hostel but just checked and it's fully booked!
Has anyone any suggestions for a cheap alternative for one night? Needs to be as central to Buttermere as possible do I don't have to deviate my route, and near cafe or pub as don't plan on cooking as travelling light?
 mike123 24 Sep 2016
In reply to Obi Wan:
There's a campsite on the right of the road that runs between the bridge and the fish , a camping barn up the hill from the bridge on the left and the bridge itself is a hotel . I've used none of the above but the beer in the bridge is usually good, if a little pricey . The food in the bridge always tastes good but with the caveat that the several times I've eaten there have been after big days cragging or walking .
http://www.buttermerecottage.co.uk/Barn.html
Post edited at 16:41
In reply to Obi Wan:

I stayed at Syke Farm campsite in April. Quite basic but right in the village centre, cheap and friendly. Ground may be damp close to the stream. They have a small 'common room' with table, chairs and electric socket (those in the know bring an electric kettle). I think the showers were 'coin in the slot.'

https://sykefarmcampsite.wordpress.com/syke-farm-campsite/

Have fun!
 3leggeddog 24 Sep 2016
In reply to Obi Wan:

There are a few bothies around there if you know where to look
OP Obi Wan 25 Sep 2016
In reply to Obi Wan:

Thanks everyone that's helpful. Camping barn seems a good option. I did actually walk past a bothy on the lake shore once thinking about it. Will have a Google.
OP Obi Wan 25 Sep 2016
In reply to mike123:

20 squids for the night and lots of room. Thanks dude, the barns the winner!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...