UKC

Dog kennel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 26 Sep 2016
Thinking of getting a kennel for my two hounds. Any advice on to look for when choosing a Kennel and how to actually get them to use it would be warmly welcomed.
abseil 26 Sep 2016
In reply to goldmember:

> ....and how to actually get them to use it....

Fill it with bacon and sausages.
 nniff 26 Sep 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Our dog live in a kennel outside for 16 years when I was a kid. The salient points of the design were:

Wooden, as an insulator. Heavy, felted pitched roof.
Off the ground - not damp
Entrance a snug fit to keep out draughts, and offset on the short side (ie not central) It meant that he could curl up and look out, or tuck himself into the corner.
Overall size not too big - room to move and shift, but snug and cosy
Filled with straw, regularly changed and topped up
Placed in a sheltered location, protected from the wind (i.e rain and snow couldn't blow in)

On really cold nights, you could see that he had closed the door off with the extra straw he'd been given.

It was always his place and he always seemed happy in it.

On the plus side, the house was in an isolated location and had trouble with burglars. Once the kennel arrived, within sight of the front gate , with a chain looping inside, that all stopped. 30-odd years after the dog passed on, the kennel is still there.
OP goldmember 26 Sep 2016

Thanks for that, all really useful stuff.

Any recommendation for which Kennel to get?
 marsbar 26 Sep 2016
In reply to goldmember:
Are you any good at basic diy?
You can make one, make a frame from wood, use plywood for the skin, insulate the sleeping area with polystyrene, use chicken wire for the run, paint with garden paint, use rubber roof paint for the roof.
Post edited at 21:44
 Ridge 26 Sep 2016
In reply to goldmember:

If you have power available fitting a pig lamp for really cold weather isn't a bad idea.
Removed User 27 Sep 2016
In reply to nniff:

Memories of my childhood came rushing back when I read that. Our dog had the same. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...