UKC

Which Spain sport climbing destination?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 islandlynx 27 Sep 2016
Hi All,

I've got a couple of possible winter climbing trips coming up and I'm wandering what people would recommend. I've been to Mallorca and Margalef recently, which both have amazing climbing, but I'd like to try somewhere else. Considering Siruana, Montsant, Riglos or Chulilla, but I dont know much about the last two. Looking (ambitiously) for quality routes in the 7th Grade. In February and April.

Thanks for any advice

Dandan 27 Sep 2016
In reply to islandlynx:

Rodellar is supposed to be good for the higher end of the 7's, I've not been but am constantly being recommended to go.
It's about 3 hours north of Margalef I think.
 Leo Woodfelder 27 Sep 2016
Siurana!!! Plenty to go at in the high 7's

Easy accommodation - either get an apartment in Cornudella (if you're staying for a while) or bunkhouse/camping at Siurana Camping.

If you've not been, what are you waiting for?
 Jon Stewart 27 Sep 2016
In reply to islandlynx:

For April, Riglos is unique and brilliant - but I wouldn't go for single pitch sport, go and do the big routes. If you can onsight 6c+/7a you have the world class Fiesta de los Biceps (La Visera) (7a) within reach. Note that the crux on this is vertical, technical climbing on tiny holds, but you need lots of stamina to make it up the subsequent pitches of ludicrous jug-hauling.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=649980&v=1#x8394191
 Dan Arkle 27 Sep 2016
In reply to islandlynx:

The OP hinted at low 7s, which rules out Rodeller imo (there are some, but not amazing).

I think Riglos is a great choice if you and your partner are up for the adventure.

Chullila is amazing, loads if long, interesting tufa low 7s. I liked it far more than Siurana, which I think is cruxy and polished.

OP islandlynx 28 Sep 2016
In reply to islandlynx:

Thanks for those comments, confirms what I was thinking. Chulilla and/or Riglos. I cant beleive I hadn't heard about Chulilla until a few weeks back if its so good. How busy does fiesta de los bisceps get?
 seankenny 28 Sep 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> The OP hinted at low 7s, which rules out Rodeller imo (there are some, but not amazing).

> I think Riglos is a great choice if you and your partner are up for the adventure.

> Chullila is amazing, loads if long, interesting tufa low 7s. I liked it far more than Siurana, which I think is cruxy and polished.

I'd avoid Chulilla in popular holiday times - it was a circus when we went at New Year and difficult to get on routes there were that many people about. The climbing is pretty good however.

Siruana is great and lots of other crags nearby...
 samkat 28 Sep 2016
In reply to islandlynx:

You haven't mentioned El Chorro, near Malaga. Easy to get to and cheap, with lots of climbing of all grades. Despomilandia has lots of harder grades.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1540

Also recommend Olive Branch, great place to camp and meet other climbers - http://www.olivebranchelchorro.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...