UKC

best technical approach low profile mountain boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
shunty 27 Sep 2016
Asking for advise/experience as what forum members consider is the best low profile, mid boot for long scrambles, ridges and long days out in the UK weather. I have trashed all sorts of GTX approach shoes which look nice for a few weeks until they get wet and abraded on rock then are useless out on the hills. So looking at durable, light nubuck leather, but have a technical design for easy climbing/scrambling (fit, lacing and sole) for long days out in all sorts of weather with more support around the ankle than approach shoes. Not a full on mountain boot, which I have but your goto boots for anything that is not full on winter conditions. Any member got any experience of the Salewa mid layer leather approach boot or that expensive looking Arterx carbon low zip-up boot jobby? Thanks for any input/advise from anybody who knows why I am frustrated with expensive fad footwear that lasts..
 tjoliver 28 Sep 2016
In reply to shunty:

If by Salewa mid layer leather approach boot, you mean the Rapace, then yes. I've got one. Really light and nice to climb in. However, the leather is most un-waterproof leather I've ever come across. Don't think for one second that it'll keep your feet dry in snow.
 nathan79 28 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

I've had a pair for a couple of years. Have had no issues with water/snow ingress. I'd happily replace them with another pair when they die.
 james mann 28 Sep 2016
In reply to shunty:

Ganda guides are great in the dry but have the waterproof capability of a sieve. Scarp a pro ascent?

James
 Dauphin 28 Sep 2016
In reply to shunty:

Stay away from Hagloffs mid-boot stuff. Perfect dry european and U.S. scrambling shoes, hiking on dry paths, boulder fields and rock gardens. About as useful and lethal as a ballet slipper in U.K. / Scottish Mountains.

D
 crustypunkuk 28 Sep 2016
In reply to tjoliver:

Do you have the third generation rapace by any chance? I've heard the latest style are a bit suspect in waterproofness. I've been using the first and second incarnations for about 4 years in almost every condition imaginable, I'm onto my third pair and not once have I had any issue with water ingress. Best boot I've ever owned.
OP, the rapace is essentially the same as the mountain trainer mid but with a slightly stiffer sole and rear crampon welt. Alpinetrek and trekinn both have them for a huge discount at the moment.
I've also heard good things about the new scarpa zodiac mid and also the millet trident mid too, but it all depends on your foot i suppose.
 tjoliver 28 Sep 2016
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Could be. Got mine last year, so the latest model I believe. There's no way I could call mine solidly waterproof, at least not for summer alpine stuff. Doesn't take long for the boot to get saturated through. Bit disappointing, but great for approaches where snow isn't going to be much of an issue (or I expect the snow to be firm).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...