UKC

Gogarth sea level traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark hounslea 01 Oct 2016

Considering taking my daughter on the main cliff traverse next weekend. Does anyone know if there are any seal pups in the exit from Parliament cave. I have a pretty traumatic experience here in the past!
Post edited at 09:55
 zimpara 01 Oct 2016
In reply to mark hounslea:

Did the seal pups hurt you?
 Pekkie 01 Oct 2016

Is the story true that you were given a jolly good working over by a seal protecting its pup?
 d_b 01 Oct 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

A "working over" eh? Dirty, DIRTY seals!
 Pekkie 01 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

The other story was that after the fracas Mark found himself as beachmaster in control of the harem.
 d_b 01 Oct 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

If he went back for another go they could both be true.
 leewil86 01 Oct 2016

Those seals are very .....very hands on if you know what I mean.......OOOFT pardon! *minces off*
OP mark hounslea 01 Oct 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Seal pups can be big and have big teeth. Their parents are bigger and have bigger teeth and are very protective. I once found myself in an enclosed space with both and it was one of my scarier 'climbing' experiences. The exit /entrance to Parliament cave is narrow and is sometimes used as a seal nursery.
Plus, I would feel uncomfortable putting stress on wild animals, sensitive chap that I've become
 d_b 01 Oct 2016
More sensibly, I thought seal pups were more of a spring/early summer phenomenon so you should be OK at this time of year.
Post edited at 11:41
 Dan Arkle 01 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Allthough odd pups may be born in any month, the great majority of Grey Seals in Wales give birth to their single pup from September onwards, peaking in October with most finished by the end of November.
 d_b 01 Oct 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I see. I was working from my experience of seeing them (or not) on the beach at the camp site in Kildonan.

Probably worth giving the RSPB at South Stack a ring - they should have a pretty good idea about how busy the various nursery sites are.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...