UKC

Road bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wiles 02 Oct 2016
I am upgrading from a canondale caad 8 and have about 1800 quid to spend. What sort of bike should I buy?
 RhysRolfe 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:
I recommend looking at Planet X bikes, for that sort of money you are going to get a very nice bike full carbon frame and ultegra groupset maybe di2 and some decent wheels.
 The New NickB 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

If you like the Caad the obvious upgrade would be to the SuperSix, you can probably get the Ultegra version if you shop around. Great bike, but you can almost certainly get more for your money with other brands though.

I built my last bike, as it meant I could shop around for deals on components and didn't end up with an expensive bike with wheels that I wanted to upgrade straight away. The Ribble and Dolan bikebuilder options look quite good as well. Particularly the Dolan.
 rocksol 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:
Value for money, has to be Planet X or maybe Ribble.
 Yanis Nayu 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

Do you want a sportive bike, an aero bike or a lightweight bike? What'll you be doing with it?
OP Wiles 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I do mainly sportives although I am doing a tour of Belguim in November in 3 days and Ventoux shortly if that helps Yanis

Greasy Prusiks 02 Oct 2016
In reply to RhysRolfe:

If you're really lucky you'll get it without di2!
OP Wiles 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Not a fan of di2 then Greasy!
In reply to Wiles:

I am selling my n2a (planet x) way less than your looking to spend but a loverly bike.
I spend all my time pulling a trailer so looking to consolidate
In reply to Wiles:

Not exactly! Imagine a scenario where everyone uses di2 and mechanical hadn't been invented. Then someone comes a long and invents a lighter, cheaper and simpler mechanical system that never needs recharging, you'd be onto a winner!
 andy 02 Oct 2016
In reply to rocksol:
> Value for money, has to be Planet X or maybe Ribble.

I would also look at Merlin's range now. Ridley built frame, Ultegra Di2 and Racing 4 wheelset. About £1730 (when I last looked). I got one earlier in the year - amazing value.

Just checked - yep £1729.
Post edited at 21:28
 Toby_W 02 Oct 2016

I am quite tempted by not needing to worry about gear cables. I hate setting them up and then you have to do it again as the cable beds in. My bikes below legal race weight anyway. It's been out a few years now, seems to work well?

Cheers

Toby
In reply to Toby_W:

They can be a bit of a pain.

Yeah I think it works OK, never owned a bike with it on mind. Personally I think it's a sales gimmick but that's just my opinion!
 andy 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks: i have Di2 on three bikes and I love it - because I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately middle-aged newbie (been road cycling for about 15 years) who has never learned the art of adjusting gears. I like the fact it works well, adjusting it is precise (stick it on the middle cog til it rubs a bit then move it back by 2mm) and I can make it work!

I've ridden well adjusted cabled bikes (hired) and they're absolutely as good as Di2 - but for the likes of me Di2 is ideal and definitely not a gimmick.

But that's because I'm incompetent!

Toby_W 02 Oct 2016

I put a new groupset on earlier in the year, one end bit had a bur and fuzzed the Teflon off the cable, then I caught another one, then I cut the outer forgetting to pull the inner out. Cables are not cheap and at this point there had been some club discussion going on and that very moment one reply says "di2, just saying"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Cheers

Toby
 balmybaldwin 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

> Not a fan of di2 then Greasy!

I agree with Greasy.... it's a non-core upgrade that seems almost mandatory these days (as in specced on everything) I know those that have it say they love it and wouldn't go back, but a well set-up mechanical system is just as efficient (otherwise I'd add it to my road bike). For the extra money, you can get nicer wheels or go up a groupset which in my opinion is money better spent. Non Di2 bikes are a bit trickier to find
In reply to Toby_W and andy:
That's fair enough, I'm glad it works for some people. I guess it's like anything bike related, it's all about whether it suits you. There's very little out there that's flat out bad.

Like I say I prefer the weight and cash saving over the ease of maintenance but at the end of the day it's all in the legs anyway!

Enjoy your riding,
Greasey
Post edited at 22:10
 andy 02 Oct 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I agree with Greasy...) I know those that have it say they love it and wouldn't go back, but a well set-up mechanical system is just as efficient

Absolutely. But unless I pay someone £40-50 twice a year mine wouldn't be well set-up.

> For the extra money, you can get nicer wheels

Definitely a better upgrade, but the Merlin I bought has decent (not brilliant) wheels, which are probably better than most wheelsets on a £1700 bike. Next time I've got £600 spare and Wiggle have an offer on I'll swap the Racing 4s for Racing Zeros or something similar. But til then they're a rock solid wheelset, and way better than the Tiagra level stuff you find on a lot of £2k bikes.

>. or go up a groupset which in my opinion is money better spent.

Not sure you'd find a bike with a decent frame (the Merlin's a Ridley and rides really well with a fat lad aboard) with Di2 for much under £2.5k. Bit again - if the OP likes his current frame you could give it a great upgrade with Dura Ace cabled gears and new wheels for about £1800.

andy 02 Oct 2016

> ...but at the end of the day it's all in the legs anyway!

You are soooo right!!

colinakmc 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:
For that money shouldn't you at least look at the Cannondale Synapse? I reckon it's all in the frame cos anything else that annoys you can always be upgraded.
 kevin stephens 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:
Dolan Tuono
 kevin stephens 03 Oct 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolan-tuono-car...

you can play with options wheels/groupset etc - I'm really pleased with mine; Dolan transferred the best bits of my old bike to the new frame to get the best value
 Indy 03 Oct 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thats before you get into the disc brake argument.
 LG-Mark 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

I've had a Planet-X full carbon bike before (RT57) and it was OK - just "OK". My current winter bike is a CAAD8 and its much nicer to ride than the Planet-X. My current best bike is a Ridley Helium - absolutely fantastic frameset, i couldn't recommend a Ridley more highly - in over 30 years riding on 531 steel, 753 steel, various aluminium frames nothing comes close to the ride quality of the Ridley. My wife has a full-carbon Liz and she too loves her bike.

Consider also the Supersix, I've never ridden one, but i'm sure its fantastic - I don't think Cannondale have ever made a duffer.

If you want an "upgrade" from the CAAD8, i wouldn't get a Planet-X or any other "open mould" frameset of that ilk.
 GrahamD 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

Its a bit difficult to answer the original question because so much of it comes down to your personal preference: aesthetics ? ride ? best-features-for-your-money ? any brand dislikes (irrational though that may be) ?

For me when I come to upgrade / change, I won't bother trying any bike that I don't like the looks of. Whether its Ultegra or 105 equiped is somewhat secondary to me personally.
 Toby_W 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Indy:

I'd like them on my commuter and the idea of saving expensive wheels is a strong one on my race bike but I have two friends who've just returned 4-5k bikes because of the discs, braking was fantastic but every other issue that went with them was not.

To the question, I feel this is probably not what you want, but if you're looking at planet X and ribble have you considered getting the frame direct from china and building it up yourself? Don't get a knock off, get an actual open mold frame, there is a whole thread I think on bikeradar and some of them are sweet as you can specify your own colour scheme.

I love Cannondale, someone mentioned Ridley and while I've not ridden one several of my friends own them and love them and they look superb.

Good luck.

Toby
 Kimono 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

Have you considered a used bike? There are so many people out there either upgrading or (even better) those who decided to get into biking, bought a fancy bike and rode it 3 times before discovering that cycling was harder work than they thought!
You could pick up a spectacular barely-used bike for that money
 nniff 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

I'd be inclined to work it through as follows:
1 - Frame - something the right material, shape, stiffness and weight for what you want to do.
2 - Wheels - the single most important component IMHO. Trouble is, they all sort of look the same. It's easy to identify 105/dura-ace/record/Di2 etc - full sets or part sets and say this is better than that. Wheels - not so easy - but every wotsit of effort will go through the wheels, every bit of freewheeling, every corner, and every bit of braking. Spend the money on wheels, and cut back on the fancy clicky bits.

If you look at most bike specs, and then price up the wheels separately, you'll be somewhat dismayed at how cheap the wheels are in comparison to the rest of it, or find that they're own branded stuff of indeterminate pedigree.

IMHO, that's a strong argument for going to someone like Ribble/Planet X and seeing what you can build.

3 - drive train - 105 is solid and durable. Spend your money elsewhere

Alternatively, go somewhere that has a rather different outlook and buying power - the top end Decathlon bikes are excellent (if you're not precious about logos). They have something nice for £1600 and something lovely for £2,000.

Final option - keep the frame. Get some wheels built up with Chris King hubs and Stans rims, put tubeless Schwalbe 1 on them (about £1000, of which the hubs will be c. £750) , buy a big box of Ultegra from Wiggle (£500) and enjoy. If there's any spare cash if you replace saddle (Fabric scoop £40), seat post and pedals, get your frame repainted (Ooey custom paint).

Some time later, buy a nice frame. The hubs will run for years - just replace the rims from time to time
 IMA 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

If you like your caad8, try a caad12. lovely bike crit or 100 miles in the hills. S6 evo again for the carbon frame.
For example http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannondale/CAAD12-Ultegra-Road-Bike-2016/9... 400 left over for wheels.

beyond that go look around at the paint jobs you fancy. Ask yourself do you want to ride the same as everyone else, or something less seen? End of the day it is whatever gives you that new bike feel every time you go out

Beyond 105 is weight and vanity (yes I use DA and Ultegra and Sram Red). DI2 is lovely, your choice of expense, I'd generally go for wheelset over Di2 unless you are buying DA Di2.
 Toby_W 03 Oct 2016
In reply to IMA:

>beyond that go look around at the paint jobs you fancy. Ask yourself do you want to ride the same as everyone else, or >something less seen? End of the day it is whatever gives you that new bike feel every time you go out

Absolutely this!!!!

My older racing bike is a CAAD5 that I got second had, turns out it is the WAR ON TERROR special edition in memory of the 9/11 firefighters. I love it so much and it makes me smile every time I ride it. I've seen two others (pics) both in the states and never another like it in the flesh the since I got it. I will never sell it. Newest bike is dull old black as there was nothing exciting at the time.

Good luck with choosing.

Toby
 malk 03 Oct 2016

In reply: could someone tell me if any/all carbon frames take 28mm tyres or do they vary?
Post edited at 13:13
 The New NickB 03 Oct 2016
In reply to malk:

> In reply: could someone tell me if any/all carbon frames take 28mm tyres or do they vary?

Plenty of Audax type bikes with slightly more relaxed geometry will go up to 28. I know the Cannondale Synapse HI MOD Carbon will and I've got 28s on the aluminium version that I use as a winter bike.
 malk 03 Oct 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

thanks- so 25 max for most carbon frames?
 The New NickB 03 Oct 2016
In reply to malk:

> thanks- so 25 max for most carbon frames?

It will be for a lot, but certainly not all.
 Indy 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Toby_W:

> I have two friends who've just returned 4-5k bikes because of the discs, braking was fantastic but every other issue that went with them was not.

Out of interest care to explain?
 neuromancer 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Wiles:

For that kind of money I'd be going to a direct sales place like canyon.
 malk 03 Oct 2016
In reply to felt:

meh, will prob follow bananaman and go alu/bamboo..;
 Toby_W 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Indy:
Screeching and screaming noises, different manufacturers and the bike went back to the shop, to Madison and manufacturer had the brakes swoped, discs swoped (different sizes ) pads, fork and so on. Both big American brands and fantastic about the whole thing. I think it was a design flaw in the brakes, I think, (both hydrolic) but they'd just had enough and both have now got the rim brake versions. Almost ruined his trip to the mountains this year. I searched to see what it could be and the list was long and most things they'd tried and as I said he got to the point where it just was not worth it.
I'd still have them on my commuter road bike (probably cable) but not a chance on my best one.

Cheers

Toby
Post edited at 14:53
 andy 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Toby_W: I had a (hydraulic) disc braked bike and had the same thing - screechy brakes that just wouldn't stop.

bfish 08 Oct 2016
In reply to andy:

I have to clean mine weekly, after 150-200 miles they usually start to screech. I assume it's from all the shit that comes off the road. I think discs are good for for an all-weather bike, especially in the U.K. but I prefer rims still overall. They make cleaning the bike much more of a chore as I've become incredibly paranoid about contaminating them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...