UKC

Winter Traverse, feedback please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 03 Oct 2016
After unprecedented numbers Traversing the Ridge last winter I'd like to take the opportunity to get some feedback while the memories are quite fresh.

One axe or 2? Did you find the 2nd axe just excess weight?
Were pegs useful?
How many abseils?

Backed up with an idea of conditions; trail of footprints or not, how many of you etc will all help form a picture.

Interested to hear from those who failed at least as much as those who succeeded as this tends to be a better insight for aspirants. I read lots of accounts, most of which chose to "skip to the good bits". For me, the excellent writing by Martin Moran gave the best account. Martin held the summer record for a time and has guided it for a quarter of a century but still managed to capture the focus & seriousness as well as the highs. http://www.moran-mountain.co.uk/blog/#WinterRidge

Here's hoping for a repeat this season ahead

OP Mike Lates 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

Bump
 Aigen 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

What route are you talking about?
 Hugh Simons 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Aigen:

The Cuillin Ridge on Skye of course!
 Dark-Cloud 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

I presume you have seen this account which is a good read ?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item/70266/probable_cuillin_winter_record_fo...
OP Mike Lates 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:
Sadly Cuillin is a wee bitty washed out again now, 29th November- http://tinyurl.com/jmucfar
Very beautiful still though!

Plenty of interest and questioning already coming through.
Thanks to all those who sent me their own experiences.
This year's SMC journal has no less than 3 accounts- highly recommended reading for any serious aspirants as top-end climbers describe anything but a walk in the park.
Overall 2 axes each was favoured (I still think 1 each with sharing them on TD gap is enough) and 50m of rope (King's Chimney on Mhccoinnich). 10-12 abseils was normal with varying degrees of success in finding existing tat.

I'll keep conditions posted once more if there seems to be any climbing or Ridge action.
Post edited at 10:01
 Neil Adams 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Mike Lates:

> One axe or 2? Did you find the 2nd axe just excess weight?
2, and yes, there were a couple of sections where I was glad of two tools.

> Were pegs useful?
Didn't take any and never felt like they'd be necessary

> How many abseils?
Quite a lot! 6 maybe? Can't really remember now.

> Backed up with an idea of conditions; trail of footprints or not, how many of you etc will all help form a picture.
Pretty much ideal conditions. Tracked much of the way, although we veered off them a few times to take in summits (Sgurr Dubh Mor in particular was untracked when we got there). Set off solo but bumped into Anna Wells coming down Gillean and we teamed up for the rest if the route. Done in one day (just over 20hrs car to campsite if I remember correctly)

And this probably goes without saying, but it's one of the best days in the mountains I've ever had.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...