UKC

Training to stay in shape with an injured hip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve nevers 03 Oct 2016
A recent 5m fall has left me with a hip injury, presumed to be brusing to the cartilage in my left hip socket, although MRI coming this week will confirm.. but..

I'm getting out of shape in the few weeks I've been waiting, mainly due to only activity I've had easy access to has been the pub!

Getting my range of movement back, and can bare weight on it and walk ok, the joint just gets tired quickly, so have been wondering if anyone has suggestions for a work out regime that wouldn't be to impacting on the injury while it improves, but keeps me in some shape that isn't beer pot shaped!

Removed User 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Steve nevers:

Download a good bodyweight training app such as 'yayog' and go through the exercises in that for just the upper body.
Removed User 03 Oct 2016

On top of that you're going to have to find some will power and lay off the beer and food. Buying calories is much easier using large muscle groups such as the legs.
 zv 04 Oct 2016

I'd get a fingerboard and work on a weak grip type, e.g. openhanded which is often a weakness.

I'd carefully look in the internet or a good coaching book for a fingerboarding regime and stick to it.

Would you be able to work on core without too much stress on the hip?

Another idea is using this as an opportunity to catch up on antagonistic training.
 stp 09 Oct 2016

If you're concerned you're putting on weight then maybe the best thing is to modify your diet rather than exercise. The high fat low carb diets seem to work pretty well for people, or the more extreme version which is the ketogenic diet. Dave Macleod was having success with this after an injury stopped him running and he couldn't keep the weight off any other way.

In terms of exercise the high intensity interval training is said to be as good as, and takes much less time than, traditional cardio. You couldn't do sprinting but working around your hip find which exercises you can do. You really want to involve major muscle groups to get your heart rate right up, so compound movements would be better, pull ups, dips, and whatever core exercises you could do (those lying or sitting down, or hanging from a bar might be OK with your hip). Otherwise some kind of circuit training with minimal rests. Swimming would be another option.

Plenty to choose from, so it really depends what your most motivated for. If you don't keep it up it won't work.
 Lakesben 10 Oct 2016
In reply to stp:
I fractured my hip and femur 18 months ago and couldn't walk for three months. I knew that the last thing I wanted was to have to lose a load of weight once I was healed.

Diet. I changed it completely. Used my fitness pal app to eat max 2000 calories per day. It was hard but worth it. Filled myself up on vegetables and salsa (it's low cal and tasty). I stopped alcohol too.

Exercise. Swimming worked for me. I couldn't even weight bear so put a float between my legs and just did front crawl with my arms. Kept my upper body in shape.

Psych. If you're not doing what you want and changing your diet I found it important to find some other temporary things to enjoy. Be kind to yourself.
Good luck.
Post edited at 07:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...